Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

For those that want more hoofball see this from a SSN article about Xabi Alonso and Bayer Leverkusen. And guess what, they are top and look likely to win the league too 🤔

….. a big part of this Xabi Alonso team are short passes that entice people in.

alonsoWith two or three, you see the Bayern Munich team get dragged across. It's a big part of where the game is going in modern football. So many teams now make short passes to entice people on to see if they can break through the lines or if they can switch play.

4 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

For those that want more hoofball see this from a SSN article about Xabi Alonso and Bayer Leverkusen. And guess what, they are top and look likely to win the league too 🤔

….. a big part of this Xabi Alonso team are short passes that entice people in.

alonsoWith two or three, you see the Bayern Munich team get dragged across. It's a big part of where the game is going in modern football. So many teams now make short passes to entice people on to see if they can break through the lines or if they can switch play.

Du bringst den Ball nach vorne

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

And Kane still isn't going to get a trophy.

I love Harry Kane, and don't wish anything other than success on him. I just don't understand why i find it so funny that he might not get a title this year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I love Harry Kane, and don't wish anything other than success on him. I just don't understand why i find it so funny that he might not get a title this year. 

It is weird. Same as some of our lot have a supposed hatred of Spurs, seemingly because they dared to challenge us during our run to winning the title. Get over it. 

Edited by STEVIE B
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Not sure how this thread got onto Harry Kane but I genuinely hate the bloke. Showed no mercy against us every time he plays and the one time I rooted for him, he ballooned a penalty vs France. Bloke actively tries to make me hate him I swear!

Can't wait for him to bottle a title out in Germany, a proper curse him!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

this is potentially Bayern’s first trophy-less season since 2012 lol

3 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

I would find it hilarious if Tottenham won a trophy & Bayern didn't 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Give Rohl’s his due - his tactical tweaks made a game of it second half. Enzo took some time to get to grips with it. 

2nd half Enzo played the game-management card…

He invited Rohl’s team on the front foot
lads needed some practice  of holding their defensive lines.

We find it comfy playing the sublime,fantastic  movements

We need more practice across our 2  back lines,to improve on our syncing & understanding each others movement under stress & press.

One thing I’ve noticed is that our players very rarely turn when on the ball. Mainly in the centre of the field but Fatawu and Mcateer also rarely if ever turn when presented the ball against wingers who they could beat hands down.

I wonder if that’s a taught thing? 

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

One thing I’ve noticed is that our players very rarely turn when on the ball. Mainly in the centre of the field but Fatawu and Mcateer also rarely if ever turn when presented the ball against wingers who they could beat hands down.

I wonder if that’s a taught thing? 

They are instructed to maintain the angles so that passing can be done quickly, sharply and one touch to specific zones to play out of trouble quickly and shift the opposition block from one side to another. If they are in the final third then they have licence to perform their tricks as Mavididi did so well in this game.

Instead of turning on the ball when in full possesion, players are encouraged to receive the ball on the half turn to spin as they receive the ball. If they are being man-marked, that can immediatey take a player out of the game and generate an overload.

The style of play is super simple. Create situations where we have one more player than the opposition and exploit it. But playing in a way to consistently make that possible requires amazing coaching. Luckily we have a great coaching setup that are able to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Felt it was as much us taking our foot of the gas.

They brought Liam Palmer on - played five at the back and then he’d come into midfield which completed cocked up our pressing pattern. 

This is no criticism of Enzo, just something I noticed that was quite clever by a coach to slow us down. Some of Rohl’s post match interview was quite technical 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

They brought Liam Palmer on - played five at the back and then he’d come into midfield which completed cocked up our pressing pattern. 

This is no criticism of Enzo, just something I noticed that was quite clever by a coach to slow us down. Some of Rohl’s post match interview was quite technical 

No sure we were overly bother about pressing in the second half, felt like we were happy to settle for the 2-0. Think we could have gone though the gears if needed.

Also they had to change it was one way traffic in the first half.

Rohl’s done a decent job since he arrived.