Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

Didn’t know where else to put this, nice to see a video of academy lads of all ages watching first team keepers and replicating some of the drills they can. Can only help them if we are to have a thorough way of playing getting it at an early age. 

Hope they do similar with the outfield players although this be more difficult due to the numbers of players etc. 

Edited by Lesta2014

On 18/02/2024 at 16:59, StriderHiryu said:

Put this in another thread, but will post it here too:

I thought the way Boro setup was the perfect way to try to beat Leicester with a weaker team. I think they combined a few aspects well:

• They only pressed at certain times and pressed specific people. The wide CBs and the two double-pivots. They let Vestergaard have lots of time on the ball, but not the other two CBs.
  • They didn't go man for man, they had two defensive blocks when we were in their third. They were prepared to defend deep and hang on when needed.
  • They blocked passing lanes back to the keeper, I noticed this quite early on. They wanted us to pass it to Faes and Justin. My assumption is that if they won the ball off those two then Vestergaard wouldn't have the pace to recover so you can take two players out of the game with a calculated risk.
  • They changed their front line so that they had lots of fast, mobile players who posed a threat on the break rather than their physical number 9's. Both Azzaz and Silvestra were superb for them.

Why I liked their approach is that it's a way to try and pose a threat against a team that is man for man better than yours. By not going man-for-man all over the park, it makes you more defensively stable. By having a rapid front 3 and pressing the wide players, it gives you a counter attacking threat all game long. If I was going up against Maresca, these are probably the tactics I would use too.

Despite saying that, we had way more possession and made tons of chances. If Daka scored that free header before their first goal it's a totally different game. This was also the first time under Enzo where everyone on the team was so poor. Only Hermansen comes out of that game with any credit. Vestergaard I think also did well overall, but he skied it when 6 yards out, and his lack of pace made him look like he was running in treacle for the first goal. So I'm not sure about winning the tactical battle per se, but think they were great tactics, and they took advantage of an off day from us. If every one of our players is misplacing a 5 yard pass, then you aren't beating anyone.

It also looked looked like they tried to maintain a high back line where possibly in the first half (tried to stay out of their final quarter where possible) and then were very compact infront of their back 5

Therefore if they won the ball they had players already high up the pitch who could try and expose our lack of pace on the counter attack. The second goal was like this.

Sheffield Wednesday tried also tried a similar strategy in the second half against us in the match before.

On 20/02/2024 at 15:56, CaliFOXnia said:

You miss the part where Cannon created Vardy's goal with an absolutely superb pass..? - Maybe an example of a "stupid idea that didn't work", oh, I don't know.... working? :dunno:

Yes looked great in the middle, forgot we won:blink:

2 hours ago, Claridge said:

Yes looked great in the middle, forgot we won:blink:

Yeah, that was down to Cannon playing through the middle in the 20 mins he had off the bench pal. Him doing well and us not winning are not mutually exclusive. 

1 minute ago, CaliFOXnia said:

Yeah, that was down to Cannon playing through the middle in the 20 mins he had off the bench pal. Him doing well and us not winning are not mutually exclusive. 

yep as i said looked great down the middle, wasted on the left when Fatawu went off

I’m completely crest fallen after that. That was for all intent and purpose our best performance of the season. The tactics were spot on. And yet that happened at the end. I don’t think it comes from Enzo because this has happened many times before him. It’s a rot. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I’m completely crest fallen after that. That was for all intent and purpose our best performance of the season. The tactics were spot on. And yet that happened at the end. I don’t think it comes from Enzo because this has happened many times before him. It’s a rot. 

Still very passive with his changes though. The opposition always make them first and it feels inevitable whenever we've got a 1 goal lead going into the closing stages. When Leeds scored we simply had to shut up shop and take the point. We couldn't string two passes together for the rest of the game!

I do think he needs to work on his substitutions a bit, needs to learn not to leave it so late

However just like against Middlesbrough there is nothing he can do about multiple players missing easy chances that should have us walking away with a comfortable victory

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Iwebema said:

Have to agree, I'm really not sure what more Enzo could do today, if it was a boxing match it would of been stopped.

He cant control a disallowed goal, he cant legislate for an absolutely diabolical reffing display (from a guy that has a track record against us)

He cant put the ball in the net for mavididi and daka

And then 2 more deflected goals. Hes certainly not been perfect but I cant hold much against him today.

Great post. A truly disgustingly unlucky result. 

What I will say is what I said before the game.

"I (We're) shitting ourselves ahead of playing Leeds, and we want to play in the Premier League?!"*

*As bang average as I think the Premier League is.

Just now, moore_94 said:

I do think he needs to work on his substitutions a bit, needs to learn not to leave it so late

However just like against Middlesbrough there is nothing he can do about multiple players missing easy chances that should have us walking away with a comfortable victory

I think that will come in time. Improving the subs. There just isn’t enough players in the squad to do what he wants. 

• Like 1

His subs are poor still which perhaps contributed to the ultimate collapse in some ways and some extra steel is needed, but no way was he responsible for that defeat really. A wrongly disallowed goal and two sitters missed. He can't do anything about that. We were really fabulous for the opening 25 of that second half. Brilliant football. So gutting we didn't see it home. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 2