Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

Only thing that concerns me right now is the late goals we’ve been conceding. 

We’ve conceded 11 goals between 81-90 minutes, only Blackburn, Preston & Rotherham have conceded more goals than us in that time frame. 

We saw that kind of softness under Rodgers, it still seems to be lingering with Enzo in charge. 

That’s something he needs to try and stamp out, otherwise it could well end up biting us in the long run. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingfox said:

We’ve conceded 11 goals between 81-90 minutes, only Blackburn, Preston & Rotherham have conceded more goals than us in that time frame. 

We saw that kind of softness under Rodgers, it still seems to be lingering with Enzo in charge. 

That’s something he needs to try and stamp out, otherwise it could well end up biting us in the long run. 

I think we are missing a quality defensive midfielder who can shield the back 4 more, especially when we are under the cosh. We seem lightweight in midfield, lots of energy and stamina but not enough physicality to help the back 4 battle when the ball is in and around our box. Old skool Ndidi would be perfect right now. 

I would also say that 3 of our back 4 are defenders that have more attacking qualities, than defensive. We probably need to be ruthless in the summer and drop 2 or 3 of that back 4 and have more rounded defenders who can do it all to a higher level. 

Chuck in a nasty ultra competitive git or two into the squad too, as feels like we are too passive when we lose. We are lacking grit in the squad. 

I do think it’s a bit over the top to assail the tactics when we were the better side for 75 minutes.  But I do continually have issues with Enzo’s subs - they made things worse tonight for sure.  And it’s worth noting that when Leeds got their second, they kept pressing forward for the insurance goal they eventually got - whereas our tendency has been to get very defensive with a one goal lead.

Italian Rodgers, sadly that’s the reality. 

Were playing great football, at times, against Championship teams, under Rodgers we did the same, vs Premier League teams, and when it’s good, it’s bloody brilliant, but when it doesn’t work, or when the games changed, there’s no change in mentality, no change in mindset, and the substitutions make Puel look a genius. 

We’re still Top, we’re still on course for promotion, but let’s be honest, what Pearson did in 13/14 is much more impressive than this, sadly, I’m losing confidence that this style of play is going to work in the Premier League. 

Edited by Onions
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

They ran away with the third. The first and second the result of pressure.

Sure we can concede under pressure.... we need to look st this phase of the game.  Leeds had to go for it and they were rewarded... we seem to capitulate in such situations.

More worrying is our inability to score more in the 75 minutes we were dominant 

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 2

I don’t want to jump all over Enzo, and I know people will say the league position (albeit now under serious threat), negates any negativity, but…… his style of play against better opponents seems to expose our weaknesses somewhat. 

As a few have said, apply a bit of meaningful pressure and we fall apart. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I think that will come in time. Improving the subs. There just isn’t enough players in the squad to do what he wants. 

I didn't rate his subs tonight but there isn't actually a great deal of choice. Our depth isn't quite as great as I imagine it to be. Still should be good enough to get over the line but we will need a fair bit more work over the summer which I'm not sure the club will be able to support. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kingfox said:

Totally agree. He needs to fix this, and soon. There is definitely a nervousness in the team that kicks in at around 75 minutes. There's been loads of games we've dominated, and then ended up holding on in the late stages. He definitely needs to find a solution to that. I know he's wedded to his chess analogy, however in the latter stages of games, that's when games become unstructured and chaotic, and it seems our players don't know what to do when the game becomes less predictable.

Edited by Tielemans63
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I don’t want to jump all over Enzo, and I know people will say the league position (albeit now under serious threat), negates any negativity, but…… his style of play against better opponents seems to expose our weaknesses somewhat. 

As a few have said, apply a bit of meaningful pressure and we fall apart. 

I quite like our style of play and tactical thought, kinda appeals to me, but a few teams have come unstuck with the concept. We have been impressive and poor using it. 

Is a hybrid style so out of the question though, playing our way with the ability to tighten up defensively if needed. 

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I didn't rate his subs tonight but there isn't actually a great deal of choice. Our depth isn't quite as great as I imagine it to be. Still should be good enough to get over the line but we will need a fair bit more work over the summer which I'm not sure the club will be able to support. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

I woke up feeling almost exactly the same. 

We have such a lop sided squad full of GK’s, CB’s and strikers!

Two out and out wingers, too many players who don’t actually have a “best position” which is very frustrating considering we have by far the biggest wage bill in the league.

We keep chugging along,a great ingrained spirit and approach

”We go again”..

Hasnt failed us yet, why think otherwise,

He plays and tweaks with what we have.

I am sure internally he talks and changes

intercganges and looks to solve the puzzles

set before him.

I really don’t think the fanbase has to get cranky

Enzo’s cogs don’t stop still..Fans analyse alaways

tend to use hindsight of last game weaknesses

add them to  others,then forget other moments and

team advancement towards now primarily goal.

So far we have wobbled occasionally,but for me

the main stay is..”We go again”..though for some

it might seem to stay still….We have had and still

have variety of opposition. We still have to earn our

right to take the championship…There are no easy

games..sofar Enzo’s and squad’s course has been true.

We are not automatically better than any team.

There are some fans who love creating scenarios of doubt

on an entitled plain ,that is non existent.

When we win the championship  I and others knowingly

gove all the plaudits earnt and more,while other will always

buy spanner’s to question and loosen tighten bolts of the

achievements..

Lets say we don’t get the points record and fall short ( not fail)

of 106pts but get promoted..have we then failed,that we should be

showered with abysmal doubts..

If we take the pts record by one or more,will we still have

earnt that abysmal pathetic shower of doubt from within our fanbase..

If one or other come to pass,why in hell are some now

leaning so far out of the window to keep telling the world

what a miserable squad we have…It fcuking bemuses me in

our hobby and pastime we have so many miserable posts..

We are playing in a sport that has its ups and downs,and I would say

since Pearson ( forget title year) a balanced manager

that sees & realises the bigger picture..even when

the framework needs regular attention.

48 minutes ago, Claridge said:

He is no where near as good as he or some on here think he is.

If we held on last night, people would be saying that it was a masterclass. Tactically it was. We completely shut them down and then we crapped the bed. 

• Like 1

Not sure where my heads at after last night.

I really fucking enjoyed last night, it was one of the best games we’ve played this season…infact I’d say it was the most enjoyable and best games we’ve played in years!*

*That was until the last 15 minutes.

8 hours ago, STUHILL said:

I think we are missing a quality defensive midfielder who can shield the back 4 more, especially when we are under the cosh. We seem lightweight in midfield, lots of energy and stamina but not enough physicality to help the back 4 battle when the ball is in and around our box. Old skool Ndidi would be perfect right now. 

I would also say that 3 of our back 4 are defenders that have more attacking qualities, than defensive. We probably need to be ruthless in the summer and drop 2 or 3 of that back 4 and have more rounded defenders who can do it all to a higher level. 

Chuck in a nasty ultra competitive git or two into the squad too, as feels like we are too passive when we lose. We are lacking grit in the squad. 

Those are two positions that I have my concerns about if we do get promoted.

The likes of Vestergaard & Winks are highly suited in a possession based system. When you’re not dominating possession and the pressure on our defensive shield increases, as we’ve already seen at times this season, there’s a niggling softness as I’ve touched on with the amount of late goals we’ve been conceding. 

As good as Winks has been, will we get away with him as the DM should we get promoted? In some games maybe, but they’ll be games where I have my doubts. Josh Cullen for example was instrumental to Burnley’s team last season, pretty much did what Winks currently does for us, come the Premier League, Cullen is now hardly featuring for Burnley. Harry Winks is a far better player than Josh Cullen, but as you’ve said yourself, I feel we’d need an alternative that is not only good on the ball, but will also be an enforcer. 

As for the defence, a LCB would be a priority position imo, a position that I’d spend £15-20 million on if our budget allows. As for Vestergaard the jury is out on that one, it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if he starts in the Premier League, finding a player who does his role would probably cost over £30 million, unless we go after Ko Itakura of Gladbach who has a pretty decent release clause this summer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lionator said:

If we held on last night, people would be saying that it was a masterclass. Tactically it was. We completely shut them down and then we crapped the bed. 

I'm not sure we are, as a rule, as in control of games as the rhetoric suggests our aim to be. There are a lot of risks taken in our own half, trying to capitalise on spaces as they open up, and some of our players are better in those tight moments than others. It means the opposition are always a loose touch or an interception away from an opening which they don't deserve. We also have a habit of sitting on the ball deep and waiting, waiting until the opposition apply pressure. I understand why, but if when you play the ball it goes backwards and then backwards again, eventually it comes to someone with no options on at all, and necessitates a long or a reckless ball. If everything's about control, then move it a tad faster, bring in the midfielders, and don't allow a mere 2-3 pressing players to force you into conceding possession.

That said, these things didn't lose us the game last night. And there are a whole load of other things we could say about how these tactics have got us into a dominant position in the league, and got us into one last night. But there are vulnerabilities to it which don't need to be there, and give openings to opponents. On top of that, I'm among those who think it'd be suicide to go on playing this way, or anything closely resembling it, at a higher level.

Now, Enzo's failure to keep up with the opposition as they adapt and tweak things to exploit our weaknesses is far more annoying and costly. Conceding so many late goals can't simply be put down to tiredness (I thought we were the ones who were meant to benefit from that with this style of play) or players failing to take chances. And those subs last night were unhelpful once again, being as late and - when they came - questionable as they were. Try making minor alterations while we're on top, especially with younger subs, and staying ahead of the game while the advantage is ours.

Overall, though, I think valid concerns about the style of play, and whether it's really that tactically ingenious to be playing pretty much the same way with the same shape every game, have been drowned out at times by the repeated mantra of 'we have x points' / 'we're going for the record' / 'he's turned this place around' / 'stop being so negative' when, in truth, points totals are all relative, the expectation was that we'd be exactly where we find ourselves now, and there were many other ways that we could have gone about this and still been where we are now. Nothing has been achieved and we're still in the thick of the battle. It'd be arrogant not to reflect a bit.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Strikes me he's an excellent coach and he's able to set the team up really well and often adjust things at half time.

In game though that's several times where opposition subs have changed the game. Have our subs changed the game this season?

He's a young manager, I'm sure he'll get better but that's Farke and Mckenna who've outdone him twice now.

If we had actually finished our chances we would be saying what an amazing job he had done schooling Farke.

He can't be held accountable for our lack clinical finishing.

Missed a one on one 

Disallowed goal

Dakas 

ETC!

Referee made some silly decisions 

Enzo is still learning and will learn how to solve our problems. I'm probably Enzo for sure!

Edited by Scoop Dog

38 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not sure where my heads at after last night.

I really fucking enjoyed last night, it was one of the best games we’ve played this season…infact I’d say it was the most enjoyable and best games we’ve played in years!*

*That was until the last 15 minutes.

At least we can say that results are all that matters. It was one of our best performances but a bad result. 

All this stuff about entertainment and all that- we nick a 1-0 with one shot and this place is bouncing.

1 hour ago, Tielemans63 said:

Totally agree. He needs to fix this, and soon. There is definitely a nervousness in the team that kicks in at around 75 minutes. There's been loads of games we've dominated, and then ended up holding on in the late stages. He definitely needs to find a solution to that. I know he's wedded to his chess analogy, however in the latter stages of games, that's when games become unstructured and chaotic, and it seems our players don't know what to do when the game becomes less predictable.

If defending a one goal lead going into the last 10 minutes, I would rather see us launching the ball into row z than trying to pass our way out of defence or trying to be clever with back heels and so on.

14 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Strikes me he's an excellent coach and he's able to set the team up really well and often adjust things at half time.

In game though that's several times where opposition subs have changed the game. Have our subs changed the game this season?

He's a young manager, I'm sure he'll get better but that's Farke and Mckenna who've outdone him twice now.

I'd argue the beginning of season we'd make changes around 60 and then walk the game due to our depth in midfield and wings. 

We're now struggling with middle depth and we've struggled since then. 

Setup and play was spot on for 80 mins last night. 

Only the ref and finishing stopped it from being a rout. 

Subs n response to going behind were the only things I'd put on Enzo.

He does need a plan B if the gameplan doesn't work or he'll be found out more often.