Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

Often seen criticism about his subs but he got them spot on yesterday. Each one of them had a positive impact - yep, Fatawu got the goal but Ricardo shored things up, Ihenacho held up the ball well in general and brought the midfielders up the pitch, Nelson looked assured and energetic when he came on and moved Ricardo to midfield when Praet was on his feet etc. 

Spot on last night, selection, subs, tactically, Enzo got it bang on.

Really happy to see us defend deeper but stick to our principles, think that deeper line really showed Coady and Vestegaard have more quality than we give credit for defensively.

Really promising for next season

Playing out from the back, turning under pressure, then a moment of individual brilliance to score the winner:

giphy.gif

Only thing with this move is that if Kelechi was right footed he'd have had an opportunity to finish himself after the run into the inside pocket / half space.

• Like 1

A great press conference as Enzo talks quite a bit about our tactics. Interesting to hear that he wants our number 8's to be able to defend like a CDM, but be able to get into the pocket like an attacking midfielder. Really thinks a lot of Ndidi.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

A great press conference as Enzo talks quite a bit about our tactics. Interesting to hear that he wants our number 8's to be able to defend like a CDM, but be able to get into the pocket like an attacking midfielder. Really thinks a lot of Ndidi.

My only issue with ndidi is that, as enzo said, he is more of a defensive midfielder - and yet he's been played in games where we really haven't needed that extra defensive body, but a more creative one.

I can't really explain the exact intricacies of this but I feel like while we risk giving the ball away in bad areas, we normally always seem prepared for the ensuing attack. So we 'absorb' shots as such.

Not including the Blackburn & Watford goals in that as they were just obviously calamities.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

My only issue with ndidi is that, as enzo said, he is more of a defensive midfielder - and yet he's been played in games where we really haven't needed that extra defensive body, but a more creative one.

The stats would suggest the defensive part is as important if, not more important in the role. And that's what Enzo is getting at:

𝐋𝐞𝐢𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐂𝐢𝐭𝐲'𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐠𝐮𝐞 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐍𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐢, 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐢𝐧𝐣𝐮𝐫𝐞𝐝:🇳🇬

𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐍𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐢
🏟 Played 21 games
️ Won 18 games
🎯 Draw 2 games
🚫 Lose 1 game

𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐍𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐢
🏟 Played 12 games
️ Won 7 games
🎯 Drawn 1 game
🚫 Lose 4 games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

The stats would suggest the defensive part is as important if, not more important in the role. And that's what Enzo is getting at:

𝐋𝐞𝐢𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐂𝐢𝐭𝐲'𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐠𝐮𝐞 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐍𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐢, 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐢𝐧𝐣𝐮𝐫𝐞𝐝:🇳🇬

𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐍𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐢
🏟 Played 21 games
️ Won 18 games
🎯 Draw 2 games
🚫 Lose 1 game

𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐍𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐢
🏟 Played 12 games
️ Won 7 games
🎯 Drawn 1 game
🚫 Lose 4 games

Oh, come on, you know better than to post stats like that - a classic example of why these things can't be taken at face value is the wednseday game, where he comes on and we drop 2 points. You can't say we lost that because of his presence anymore than you can say we win more because he's playing. 

Or the first game of the season, with him we trail coventry 1-0, praet comes on to provide a more attacking edge and we win 2-1; or cardiff ndidi comes off at 1-1 casedai comes on and bags the winner.

There's simply no way to say how crucial his presence or absence actually is.

That's not to say I don't believe we are better when he plays, i understand his influence and i'm not unhappy when he does play, I just feel like sometimes i'd rather us go with someone more attacking to try limit these close games by giving us more goalscoring and creativity early in games.

1/10 today. Absolutely abject in every aspect. You can't have a system that relies purely on structure and patterns of play if you don't give players alternative solutions. Substitions were hopeless (why leave 4 defenders on when they didn't even get into our half). Don't put Iheanacho on the bench when he's the only different option up front?

And one of his great strengths has been his integrity and attitude. But the last few performances have been that of absolute bottle jobs and his decision to give Hamza the armband is disgusting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Put this in the match thread but he got it wrong not playing Coady unless there was an issue with his fitness. 

Faes and Nelson were at fault for the first goal, no one took control as the communication between them was lacking. 

You know what you get with Coady - he'll have been rallying the players. 

So frustrating. 

• Like 1

Just now, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Have a feeling even if we get promoted.... he'll go to an Italian team....he doesn't want to end up like Burnley struggling in the EPL

Possibly. If he feels he won't be backed financially at the club then you could be right. Regardless of lack of signings etc, that today was beyond a joke 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VictorFox said:

Unfortunately he’s to stubborn to change his tactics or the way he plays. He’s said many times it’s his way and that’s it 

“I arrive in this club to play with this idea. The moment there is some doubt about the idea, the day after, I will leave. It’s so clear. No doubts.