Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

23 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's the biggest test of Enzo's career so far now, that's for sure.

A really poor performance today, we never looked like scoring and the goal we did score felt fortuitous rather than well worked. What both Boro and QPR did is sit back with two banks of 4 at times but didn't follow players around. So darting runs from players trying to drag their opponent's out of position weren't working. I don't think it helped that many players had off days again; KDH, Mavididi, JJ and both of the 8's that were tried.

I hope he can sort it out. I'm not sure when Ndidi is back, but I think that will make a big difference. The team plays worse when the 8 is Praet, Yunus or McAteer. Ricardo could have been used there today, so it's a shame he was injured.

At the other end, we are also conceding stupid goals. It's all going wrong at the worst possible time...

It is a huge test and it seems to be going wrong for him

Let's hope he is fast learner ad it needs addressing immediately in the next game. I thought today's game would be the turning point and we would see a change in tactics

Who know maybe there is something going on behind closed doors? He does seem a bit stubborn 

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

Fair enough, Enzo isn't exempt from criticism, far from it, but i've been trying to rip my eye balls out for much of the last 7 years previous.

What I will say is "playing garbage sides" isn't on Maresca and "crap atmospheres" is on us, the fans.

I like Enzo but I just don’t like the football. Yeah you’re right about him not helping who we play, that wasn’t really a criticism of him.

The Puel era was definitely worse but just made bearable by a Vardy in his prime & Mahrez. 

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Not at all

I know this division isn’t easy to get out of and a number of sides have worked out how we play.

The Leeds game we had in the bag, if either Mavi or Daka had taken their chances. If we’d gone two up, I doubt they’d have made that up.

But we have a really strong squad at this level, a very cultured manager and are still top of the league.

No need yet for doom and gloom. This is football, it happens 

The positivity is admirable - even if it does smack of the kind of Maddisonesque ‘everything will be fine’, ignore-the-evidence complacency that got us relegated last season.

Anyway, I sincerely hope you are right and my fears of a similar meltdown prove unfounded.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Why?

Because whenever we lose a couple in a row thats the magic formation every leicester fan thinks will work. Spoiler alert. It never does and its always horrendous and the same people question why it was ever used blaming other fans. 

2 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Because whenever we lose a couple in a row thats the magic formation every leicester fan thinks will work. Spoiler alert. It never does and its always horrendous and the same people question why it was ever used blaming other fans. 

It was in part rhetorical, but I was also genuinely curious to hear the reasons (should they unexpectedly exist)

38 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Why?

Because teams no what we’re about now, very predictable in how we play. The one man up top works in some games but for a lot it doesn’t. All teams need to be able to play 2/3 ways and we don’t do it. Get Nacho and Vardy in a two for the next game.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Because teams no what we’re about now, very predictable in how we play. The one man up top works in some games but for a lot it doesn’t. All teams need to be able to play 2/3 ways and we don’t do it. Get Nacho and Vardy in a two for the next game.

Pep plays Haaland and Alvarez so maybe he should give him a call for some advice because we look ****ing toothless atm. Not scored more than one goal for a few games now

4 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

I get the frustration, we have certainly looked toothless of late, but isn’t that more of a wingers being rubbish rather than a striker issue? If we had two strikers, would we keep two wingers? If we did, we would need to drop a midfielder, which is also a potential for disaster. But who knows. :dunno:

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I get the frustration, we have certainly looked toothless of late, but isn’t that more of a wingers being rubbish rather than a striker issue? If we had two strikers, would we keep two wingers? If we did, we would need to drop a midfielder, which is also a potential for disaster. But who knows. :dunno:

Ours wingers are only looking rubbish because teams are nullifying them pretty much. That is because the two lads are actually good and much that we create comes through them. Stifle that and our gnashers fall out, leaving us gumming around the box like geriatric tosspots. 

• Haha 1

We lost our In predictably since Niddi injury. He was the one making late runs into the box, which is what you need if we are only playing one striker. I also think Doyle needs to play. Defensively he’s not as good as JJ, but his passing range is something that might open up a defensive setup.

We deffo need a Plan Bin the pocket! 

Sometimes counter attacking football is required, especially when we go direct and for the jugular, we consistently score. Or Vesty and mads long balls out from the back.

Possession football is good by us, but we're lacking the finishing. Teams must now know we are struggling to score of late

We killed our own momentum tonight. We had them, at 1-2 we built a head of steam and then gradually let it go, by not being daring enough and by not getting to the line and drilling crosses in. Everything into that box was a lofted center backs wet dream.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lad1966 said:

We lost our In predictably since Niddi injury. He was the one making late runs into the box, which is what you need if we are only playing one striker. I also think Doyle needs to play. Defensively he’s not as good as JJ, but his passing range is something that might open up a defensive setup.

Agree with  Jannik out starting Doyle might have been prudent

14 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Ours wingers are only looking rubbish because teams are nullifying them pretty much. That is because the two lads are actually good and much that we create comes through them. Stifle that and our gnashers fall out, leaving us gumming around the box like geriatric tosspots

I once made love to a geriatric tosspot. 
A great 2 mins. 

Guest Col city fan
42 minutes ago, Hammo said:

The positivity is admirable - even if it does smack of the kind of Maddisonesque ‘everything will be fine’, ignore-the-evidence complacency that got us relegated last season.

Anyway, I sincerely hope you are right and my fears of a similar meltdown prove unfounded.

I had us to go down long before we went down last season. We were useless and the team wasn’t up to the challenge. I recollect many stating we were ‘too good to go down’ and all that bollox.

This season has been amazing so far. The only reason people are worrying now is because of how easy we WERE making it look. 

Today was another example. QPR literally had two shots all game..and scored with both of them. On another day, it would have been a comfortable home win.

Why I’m not worried yet is because we aren’t playing that badly. We are still dominating games and just not taking our chances. I’d be more worried if we looked to have completely lost our way. But we don’t.

I’m genuinely used to it on here though. I believe many posters don’t know much about football or even watch the games. I’ve only posted a few posts this season and this is one of the reasons. Too full of kids these days I reckon.

Edited by Col city fan

He’s going to have to try something different for a bit. With Ricardo out we have no one who can offer what he does. We are also seriously missing Ndidi and now have Praet and McAteer injured as well. Time to mix it up.

Against low blocks I’d be tempted to try Justin at RB and have him play as a traditional wingback. Rather than have the right sided 8 make runs wide to support Fatuwu, have Justin do that.

I’d even try KDH deeper with Winks and Yunus as a 10.

We need to freshen things up, psychologically if nothing else, but also to get the opposition guessing.

Edited by Ricey
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Matt said:

Try it though. If it doesn't work and looks terrible atleast we'd know, yes in that case there would be outcry, people moaning but equally what we keep doing isn't working of late either, so we need to do something.

Atleast mixing things up would give the opposition something to think about and it wouldn't be as bleeding predictable or as easy to set up against because they wouldn't be what they were expecting.

When Plan A isn't working do Plan A better simply doesn't cut it.

100%, if we don’t change something we won’t finish top 2. So that’s up to the gaffer. Time to earn his coin 

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

I don’t actually care what he does but he needs to try something we won’t finish top 2 playing like this, we’ve been found out teams just let us have the ball. 

• Like 3