Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

2 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

‘At least’ 6 points from 2 games 🤨

Sorry too early in the morning! We need to ideally win both of these two games coming up otherwise we will be definitely be 2nd / 3rd come the international break imo.

I can see Ipswich winning their next two games quite comfortably. They play Bristol City (h) , Cardiff (a)

Leeds are playing Stoke (h) and Sheffield Wednesday (a)

9 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Sorry too early in the morning! We need to ideally win both of these two games coming up otherwise we will be definitely be 2nd / 3rd come the international break imo.

I can see Ipswich winning their next two games quite comfortably. They play Bristol City (h) , Cardiff (a)

Leeds are playing Stoke (h) and Sheffield Wednesday (a)

Haha yeah sorry, it was clear what you meant, just being pedantic :whistle:. But yeah, I agree with your point that after the points we have dropped recently at home, it has put more pressure to pick up maximum points in these aways.

Ipswich will win their two listed there comfortably and be top. Leeds I think will beat Stoke but could drop points at Hillsborough as Wednesday are in good form, especially at home, and are sensing safety!

25 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

If we are still top come the international break it will be a miracle, I don’t think we get more than a point from these next two away games, but ideally we need at least 6 points.

Southampton game being postponed is now a blessing also

• Like 1

I know it’s easier said then done, but if we win our next 2 games, we should be in one of the promotion places going into the international break. That’s the mentality we need to go into these matches. Maybe that’s the clarity we need to refocus for both the players and Enzo

I've slept on it and I think we are fckd for this season. We've blown it. 

and the reason is tactics..this time of year is about sheer force of will. Playing such a rigid style and a refusal just to do what needs doing will cost us. 

just a small example is Souttar. West Brom and Sheffield Wednesday hurling in those long throws, but he flat refused to bring Souttar on, and so nullify the threat. Sometimes, in any profession, .just do what needs doing, rather than doggedly sticking to the system. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The biggest issue that’s emerging is that Enzo is starting to become more like Brendan when it comes to the league.

Ive tried to calm down, but I can’t. 

It’s funny, last week we were saying he’s completely different to Brendan…. Well he is in terms of his negative attitude and ego, but he is similar when it comes to his philosophy and stubbornness. 

We’re going to fail, because he won’t change anything. When you go 0-2 down to a team battling for relegation, to HAVE to go full on attack mode and just put them under immense pressure, eventually, they will crack… instead we’re just passing it around trying to create chances with intricate play, and get nowhere. 

Sometimes you need to be a bit old school and just get the likes of Albrighton on to just keep putting balls in behind and into the penalty area. Eventually teams like QPR will collapse as they’re defensively frail as it is. 

They never looked in danger of losing their lead, no one ever does when we go behind now, we just keep on plugging away playing the same way, and are actually quite easy to beat. After the game I walked back with a bunch of QPR fans, and they all said they had no idea how they won, and they said why on earth did we not put more pressure on them defensively, as in their words they always concede soft goals. 

The problem with this is, if we were slightly more direct, I’m sure we would blow more teams away, but we’re not. 

There’s no leaders in the team, why on earth we aren’t leaning on the experience of Coady, Albrighton and even Souttar at this level is just plain ridiculous. 

Next week is huge, I want to see Hamza out of the squad all together, I want to see Coady, Doyle and Albrighton all back into start, but will he? Doubt it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Would have liked to of seen Albrighton come on yesterday. At least he puts crosses in to the box. 2 forwards on in the second half and I can’t remember seeing a decent cross into the box. We needed something different. 

Thats just it, though, Enzo doesn’t do different. He sticks to the plan. That sort of single minded inflexibility does not make a great manager. You have to adapt to situations whether it irks you or not. 

• Like 2

Just now, ARM1968 said:

Thats just it, though, Enzo doesn’t do different. He sticks to the plan. That sort of single minded inflexibility does not make a great manager. You have to adapt to situations whether it irks you or not. 

What you’re saying is exactly what was said about Rodgers last season. 

8 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Pep not a great manager? 

52 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

What you’re saying is exactly what was said about Rodgers last season. 

Unfortunately all the teams in the league know how to beat plan A. The tippy tappy 80% passing games is no a surprise anymore and teams can spend days of training drills to beat it. Yesterday QPR 3 shots 2 goals , defence like statutes

• Like 1

So assuming that we won’t change the way we play (we could adjust to take account that we don’t have two eights), who is there in the U23’s that can play the role ??  We can’t limp along with kdh and younus for 90 mins twice a week ….. (younus isn’t an eight btw) 

• Like 1

Does not matter who plays who if we continue putting in performances like that, 3 defeats on the trot in the league, throwing all the good work done earlier in the season away.

1 hour ago, Gevans_97 said:

Pep not a great manager? 

Are you having a moment?  Pep is on record saying one of his main issues is tinkering with his lineups and tactics. That suggests a manger who looks at the opposition, his own team and then, if required, changes things up. Bit of a tough one to compare as few have Pep’s resources to be fair. So I’m saying he is a good manager BECAUSE he can adapt. Said it himself. 

I think the Boro and QPR games followed a pattern I expected to see more this season. We've generally been really effective against those teams, but that small drop lately is tipping the balance. 

Wouldn't be too critical of the tactics that got us into this position and had us look very good against Leeds last week, but with the injuries I do think a bit of flexibility from Enzo would help. He's said before after good results that we got them because the opposition played as we expected them to. Well we play as everyone expects us to too. They've got plans for it now. We need to be able to adapt and surprise teams.

• Like 1

I honestly don’t know what all this is about Hamza Choudhury being captain when we have on the bench got a solid player Ready made and up for the role of Captain in Conor Coady, mates who follow Wolves say he really knows how to boss his team and get them working together he was a superb captain at wolves  Why isn’t he Captain when Ricardo is not in the squad  ? 

Edited by justfoxes
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

Over complicating things....playing completely unnecessary passes backwards....doing 1 2s between Midfielders and centre backs for no apparent gain and slow build up play need to stop....now

It’s not even like it does what Enzo says he wants it to, pull teams around. They just sit back, stay compact and snuff us out. We haven’t got the guile and skilled enough players to make it work, nor those up front with the whit to see what such a player might create.