Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

More subs being used, with some of these unsurpsingly making the difference. Ndidi had a good first half but was clearly tired in the second.

Manager has lots to learn. The modern phrase is having finishers. Bringing on the talent / strength / intelligence / legs of a combined JJ, Hamza, Dennis, Vards etc is far too much for an opponent hanging on..for me, again, he left us exposed between 65 and 75 - 80 mins by not making changes. 

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

But to be honest the biggest difference for me in the last two games has been.

Tempo. The players have thrown themselves into it out of pure desperation and the crowd responds. 

He's made poor subs (not made subs too) almost all season, and usually at poor times

Yesterday's subs were great, both the personnel and the timings

Although didn't we have 4 sub breaks, seemed like it

8 hours ago, Nod.E said:

And anyone that can't see this is, frankly, limited. 

We had Birmingham penned in all second half, probing and pressing for a winner. We weren't slow, it genuinely had an urgent feel to it. But that doesn't mean we threw caution to the wind and over committed, leaving ourselves exposed to the counter. 

That was our downfall last year, so how our fans are incapable of understanding the merits of guarding against such a cavalier approach is beyond me.

Um, because most of them haven't got the faintest clue?

6 hours ago, davieG said:

Is that why there were no kids flag waving before KO or have they been blamed post review as the cause of our decline.

That money went on the free beer.

3 hours ago, cc_star said:

He's made poor subs (not made subs too) almost all season, and usually at poor times

Yesterday's subs were great, both the personnel and the timings

Although didn't we have 4 sub breaks, seemed like it

I don't think that's true.

Early on we were making subs and they were scoring and assisting.

Then he seemed to abandon making many subs.  Or was making few substitutions which weren't great because they were usually too little too late.

Now he's back on it, and they've been great again.

15 hours ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

I might be wrong but the whole procedure indicates it's a manager's instruction. We've done it several times before with an opposition player closer to our GK. I can understand the benefits of the approach but imo it's way too risky. That goal changed the game. Season's coming to the end, we don't have the luxury to afford slip ups, we need to take fewer risks at the back and obviously our CBs aren't world class. 

Sadly people wont get it.

It was a pointless move to attempt, as he was going to kick it long anyway, unless the manager thinks the defender was incapable of doing the same kick, it was a risk with no reward move.

• Like 1

Enzo needs to stop being so pig headed. Most of us fans have bought into his philosophy but with 2 conditions and that is positive forward intent and no pointless passing around in defense especially when it goads the opposition into a high press.

use the time & space sensibly and reduce the risk. Avoid self inflicted errors please.

otherwise tikki takka all you like.

Maresca: "My mentor told me a big truth. When rival pressures high, you have to attack quickly. When you get defended by a low block, attack slowly and patiently.”

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

Enzo needs to stop being so pig headed. Most of us fans have bought into his philosophy but with 2 conditions and that is positive forward intent and no pointless passing around in defense especially when it goads the opposition into a high press.

use the time & space sensibly and reduce the risk. Avoid self inflicted errors please.

otherwise tikki takka all you like.

40 games in and you still think the passing around the defense is 'pointless'?

It's because it goads the opposition that allows us to play more directly.  it is when teams don't press that things slow down and retard the forward intent.

It doesn't matter what tactics a team employs, you'll always get the odd error; i don't imagine we're any worse than any other team.

• Like 2

I get that - not saying they shouldn’t pass out from the back. What I am saying is it needs to be smart and variable in speed. In some games it’s looked robotic like without any purpose unless the players are deliberately killing time. Other times it feels like there is a lack of ideas so reverting to type. That’s probably why it comes across as messing around until there’s a press which is fine if they don’t lose the ball. The old saying ‘asking for trouble’ comes to mind.

maybe when the players are mentally and physically tired they could do something else that’s quicker and more direct. Will Enzo allow them to?

One day fans will realise that the majority of these managers are like politicians. Full of lies, unintelligent, incompetent, arrogant. They're managers because they have the correct connections to be there. Enzo should have been sacked after the press conference in which he actually told us we're stupid and we don't know anything about football. Our next home game after that press conference should have had just the ball boys inside the stadium. 

Honestly I feel like some fans need a reality check at the moment, they clearly don't realise how lucky we are to have a future top 5 manager in charge. 650 passes with 3 shots on target, what a system! 
We really need to start doing the lottery. 

• Haha 1