Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

If you can’t win a game, dont lose it. 

At least 6-7 of the losses could so easily have been draws. 

These tactics are killing us.

Any average championship manager would get this side promoted. 

Such a ludicrous statement - it's these tactics that have led to us - prepare yourself for this - to be top of the table with 5 games of the season left, in a season that will go down as the most competitive ever.

You can't have it both ways, feller.

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

Norwich are a completely different proposition. Always going to be a more aesthetically pleasing football match. 

Frankly I'm amazed we've performed as well as we have against the poor teams in this division. We do not have the technicians required to unlock a defensive unit. Neither do Leeds, it would seem.

Our next transfer needs to be a technically gifted central player. A pound shop De Bruyne.

I agree with this, Ndidi just isn't an 8, he's turned KDH into a goalscoring midfielder which he's never been. We don't have a centre midfielder who can receive the ball on the half turn at all.

He's a good coach, but he doesn't have the right squad here, and a different philosophy would likely have seen us better off. Another dodgy decision by the board in my opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

i've been a big supporter of enzo and still am, but tonight he got it totally wrong and, even worse, didn't change things when it was clear that he'd føkked it up.  and then to really hammer home his failings, took off the one bright spark (yunus) and left on the worst player on the field (ndidi).  surely the logical choice would have been to take off ndidi, switch KDH back to the left and yunus to the right #8 spot?  the substitution did nothing.

Whatever he thought he saw to cause him to flip the #8's clearly wasn't right - and even if it was justified, ndidi is not a natural #8 on the right, but on the left he barely qualifies as a footballer - so instead of that wonderful kdh/doyle/mavididi triangle we saw last week, we ended up with all three players completely isolated with an ndidi-sized hole in the middle.  

Still, as with pretty much every loss this season we still had enough opportunities to blow the game wide open but that old chestnut of 'poor final ball and poor finishing' reared it's ugly head again.

Totally agree, those should've been the first tactical changes, followed by taking Vardy off.

You can have your plan A, fine, that's the managers idea and it's fair to give it go. It's the lack of changing or variety that will stop Enzo ever being at a higher level. 

Pep switches players and positions constantly and quickly, even he had a style. 

• Like 2

Just now, cityfanlee23 said:

Genuinely curious if you have anyone in mind? 

I'm not a scout. Not even a Ric Flair wannabe, so wouldn't claim to offer any value in that regard. 

Emile Smith Rowe on loan was what sprang to mind but I'm sure there are better out there. Anyone with an ability to kick a football better than N'didi, basically.

I’ve been a fan and defender of his, but I’m starting to get a bit sick of certain aspects now. Subs too late, never a change in shape or system. He actually went two up today, and it was needed… but there were 2 minutes left. It was clear after 60 minutes. 

So pedestrian and predictable for too long in games.

Play with tempo, use the squad… it’s the strongest in the league for goodness sake. 

Another thing I don’t like - our wingers are so isolated. We are basically reliant on brilliance to beat 2 or 3 players to create anything of note. At this level, it doesn’t happen very often. Might work for your elite sides, but we need to get more support to wide areas when up against teams playing so narrow. 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 2

Tactics, what tactics?

I could go in that changing room and say "just keep the ball, and what will be will be"

That's literally all he does.

He's that bad, I genuinely think he would fail at Celtic or Rangers. 

• Like 1

I've stuck up for the style for the most part of this season saying I got it, in this league, it was working, key word being was. We've been found out, change something, stop being so pigheaded and 'it my way', 'my philosophy', it'd nonsense.

Another thing, one of the ideologies behind this style is it's supposedly 'sustainable', it's meant to 'tire the opposition out' - doesn't look sustainable and we look more tired than the opposition. 

Genuinely want opinions and discussion on my last point because those who for some beknown reason like and want us to play this way who believe 'its the way to play the game', those who have a holier than thou attitude against any other way of playing won't have that any other way is 'sustainable'.

It's pure football snobbery.

• Like 1

Word of advice. Don't watch games when the top teams play away from home against teams fighting for survival.

Yup, absolutely no chance we could have a picked up the tempo just a little?  Maybe made some tactical changes?  Nothing at all we could have done right? 

• Like 1

One dimensional in the extreme. 

In game management is somehow even worse than Rodgers too. He will watch an indefensible failure for at least 75 minutes before attempting a change, beating Brendans 60+ minutes. 

• Like 2

Just now, FoxesWalk said:

I’ve been a fan and defender of his, but I’m starting to get a bit sick of certain aspects now. Subs too late, never a change in shape or system. He actually went two up today, and it was needed… but there were 2 minutes left. It was clear after 60 minutes. 

So pedestrian and predictable for too long in games.

Play with tempo, use the squad… it’s the strongest in the league for goodness sake. 

stop on for me, we dont have no tempo or zip about our football at times, i know he likes to think of it as a chess match and move their players out of position etc, but that isnt always going to work, got to change it up

I'm not a scout. Not even a Ric Flair wannabe, so wouldn't claim to offer any value in that regard. 

Emile Smith Rowe on loan was what sprang to mind but I'm sure there are better out there. Anyone with an ability to kick a football better than N'didi, basically.

Actually ESR wouldn't be a bad shout, just concerned about his injury history really but I think he's a really solid player and would do well at a smaller club, Brighton/West Ham/Wolves etc 

4 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Change system to 2 up front against Bristol City and Millwall in the last 20 mins and guaranteed at least 4 extra points imo. Baffled he can’t see it. 

He won't do it mate. Me and others are calling for it since the beginning of the season. I have like 50 posts saying the same thing, I'm sick and tired of repeating myself like an idiot and probably our fellow fans are sick of seeing the same posts. 

• Like 1

Just now, BlueSi13 said:

Yup, absolutely no chance we could have a picked up the tempo just a little?  Maybe made some tactical changes?  Nothing at all we could have done right? 

I think our subs were ill-advised, but the underlying points around the style of football and the type of match you're going to get vs. Millwall away stand.

Get him gone end of the season his style of football is minging to watch. Incredibly arrogant and doesn’t have a plan B. Blames fans for moaning about the style of football he just generally stinks the place out 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I've stuck up for the style for the most part of this season saying I got it, in this league, it was working, key word being was. We've been found out, change something, stop being so pigheaded and 'it my way', 'my philosophy', it'd nonsense.

Another thing, one of the ideologies behind this style is it's supposedly 'sustainable', it's meant to 'tire the opposition out' - doesn't look sustainable and we look more tired than the opposition. 

Genuinely want opinions and discussion on my last point because those who for some beknown reason like and want us to play this way who believe 'its the way to play the game', those who have a holier than thou attitude against any other way of playing won't have that any other way is 'sustainable'.

It's pure football snobbery.

personally i dont mind the style of play at times, but sometimes its just soul sucking, like playing it safe with some passes when youd rather see a bit more risk etc

id rather see us play a mix of direct football and possession but we dont do that enough

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1