Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

Just now, FrankieADZ said:

personally i dont mind the style of play at times, but sometimes its just soul sucking, like playing it safe with some passes when youd rather see a bit more risk etc

id rather see us play a mix of direct football and possession but we dont do that enough

Agree with all of that.

It's quite clear I dislike possession based football, on large i've not had ,many issues with what Enzo has bought.

So many people comparing his style to Rodgers, such bad takes, it's nothing like that and even when it has been boring at times nothing compares to how bored and fed up I was under Rodgers.

However, as with all modern managers, hes needs to swallow some pride, admit when it's not working and change even if it goes against 'his way'.

• Like 1

We needed to go something like 3-5-2 this season with Kristiansen/Thomas and Justin/Ricardo as wing backs, Coady, Souttar and Faes in defence, Winks/KDH/Ndidi midfield and Daka/Nacho or Vards up front, add a couple of loanees and some creativity and we'd probably still be where we are now rather than a team built around Enzoball. It's astonishing we've gone down this route. Why waste all that money on Cannon? I'd argue we never needed Fatawu/Mavididi for as good as they've been.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

I've stuck up for the style for the most part of this season saying I got it, in this league, it was working, key word being was. We've been found out, change something, stop being so pigheaded and 'it my way', 'my philosophy', it'd nonsense.

Another thing, one of the ideologies behind this style is it's supposedly 'sustainable', it's meant to 'tire the opposition out' - doesn't look sustainable and we look more tired than the opposition. 

Genuinely want opinions and discussion on my last point because those who for some beknown reason like and want us to play this way who believe 'its the way to play the game', those who have a holier than thou attitude against any other way of playing won't have that any other way is 'sustainable'.

It's pure football snobbery.

Were we found out against norwich and birmingham or is it only when we don't win that we've been found out?

He got it wrong tactically today because he changed things,  but if daka or nacho could head a ball we'd have had 1 or 3 points.  sometimes you just have to admit that the other team took their chance and we didn't.  sometimes you don't need to over analyse things, sometimes it's really as simple as we didn't play very well, regardless of the tactics.

1 minute ago, ronnup said:

Coady gets better and better on here every week. Hilarious 

We’re desperately missing a leader, and the last 2 games he played we kept clean sheets in. All whilst Faes is swanning around like a spastic making error after error

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, EastAnglianFox said:

This season has been awful, barring a couple of results we have scraped the 3 points week after week despite having a the most expensively assembled squad this league had ever seen.

We are where we are in spite of him not because of him

90% of bog standard managers would have us up by now. Neil Harris. Mark robins. Warnock. Farke. Etc etc 

This squad just needed a steady hand. Instead, we have appointed a mad professor. 

He's the Liz Truss of football management 

• Like 4

Also it was pointed out when they were appointed but his coaching staff is so inexperienced as well, where is the senior coach to lean on

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Were we found out against norwich and birmingham or is it only when we don't win that we've been found out?

He got it wrong tactically today because he changed things,  but if daka or nacho could head a ball we'd have had 1 or 3 points.  sometimes you just have to admit that the other team took their chance and we didn't.  sometimes you don't need to over analyse things, sometimes it's really as simple as we didn't play very well, regardless of the tactics.

Were we found out against Birmingham where it took us 87 mins to score the winner against a team in the relegation area. We just have more quality than 99% of teams in this league

8 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

personally i dont mind the style of play at times, but sometimes its just soul sucking, like playing it safe with some passes when youd rather see a bit more risk etc

id rather see us play a mix of direct football and possession but we dont do that enough

Pretty much where I am.

Oh and if your philosophy involves taking more risk in your own third than the attacking third, its wrong and you should change it.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Agree with all of that.

It's quite clear I dislike possession based football, on large i've not had ,many issues with what Enzo has bought.

So many people comparing his style to Rodgers, such bad takes, it's nothing like that and even when it has been boring at times nothing compares to how bored and fed up I was under Rodgers.

However, as with all modern managers, hes needs to swallow some pride, admit when it's not working and change even if it goes against 'his way'.

i think your right on that, im not 100% sure on this but Xavi Alonso's tactics at Leva are a mix of like 3/4 styles at times, and from the looks of it hes not afraid to mix it up when needed

where as some managers and ill include Enzo in this are far too rigged with these style of play, Enzo needs to realise at times, you cant always do 30 passes and score, we have to mix it up more, be a bit more direct if you can etc

cos otherwise it will/has got a bit predictable 

Edited by FrankieADZ
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

But he doesn't seem know any other way in in-game management 

And there lies to problem of the modern manager.

Certain other managers, usually the older managers have a stigma, often labelled 'dinosaurs', I think most modern managers are the dinosaurs.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 4

kinda like with Fatawu and the way he passes to ndidi when he runs to the right of the area, you can see it coming a mile off, 

stuff like that we need to change it up, no risk no reward if we dont try in the final third

do they have a higher view of the game on their monitors too?

cos if they dont ffs

Edited by FrankieADZ

Just now, Nod.E said:

And I'm sure if you go back to the post/pre season threads anticipating this year's performance, you'll find a thread full of optimism, confidence and outright cocky posts predicting that our heroes in blue and white are about to show those Championship amateurs how it's done... 

Yeah that’s part of my point, any bang average manager with a coaching badge would not have this squad in any worse of a position than Enzo has 

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

90% of bog standard managers would have us up by now. Neil Harris. Mark robins. Warnock. Farke. Etc etc 

This squad just needed a steady hand. Instead, we have appointed a mad professor. 

But Farke is below us in the league with 'the best team in the league'?

We're not perfect. I don't like some of the decisions, especially in game. 

But let's have it right, this has always been a tough league to get out of. I mean does it get any more dogshit that Millwall away when they're scrapping for their lives?

Forget about it, move on to the next. It's a dog fight out there and we're not the only ones dropping points.

I just don't buy this crap that the opposition in this league make our games crap and boring. Enzo makes our games crap and boring as he won't deviate away from his methods even if it's to the detriment of the team. We are boring and predictable and considering we are top of the league and may still get promoted, I can't say I've enjoyed this season. Of course compared to the last 18 months under Rodgers, its been more enjoyable but compared to other promotion campaigns, this has been the least enjoyable. This manager and this group of players (vardy and Albrighton excepted) aren't fit to lace the boots of Pearson and his promotion side.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

She is fit, Enzo is bald..,...

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

But Farke is below us in the league with 'the best team in the league'?

We're not perfect. I don't like some of the decisions, especially in game. 

But let's have it right, this has always been a tough league to get out of. I mean does it get any more dogshit that Millwall away when they're scrapping for their lives?

Forget about it, move on to the next. It's a dog fight out there and we're not the only ones dropping points.

Leeds squad,. Somerville apart, is nowhere near ours. Last year's respective relegations proved that. 

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

And there lies to problem of the modern manager.

Certain other managers, usually the older managers have a stigma, often called 'dinosaurs', I think most modern managers are the dinosaurs.

Exactly. If I was the manager today I would have changed the formation and two players at the 30min mark of the first half. This is how a manager must react inside the game, not just watch the disaster unfold for 88mins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

Yeah that’s part of my point, any bang average manager with a coaching badge would not have this squad in any worse of a position than Enzo has 

I'm not sure your sarcasm detector is switched on. 

It was doom and gloom. We were slating the mentality of the players, that they wouldn't cope with the mental slog that is a Championship season. 

Farke and Martin also inherited Premier League squads. Last time I checked we're above both. 

Again, we're not perfect. I think Enzo seriously needs to look at his in-game decision making. 

But the style of play is working. It'll be even more effective when we find a creative player or two to play through the middle.

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

Agree with all of that.

Rodgers was operating in the PL. Maresca in the Championship. They are both guilty of misuse of resources because they are steadfast to the point of stubbornness in dictating one particular style of play, which overrides everything else. And when opponents learn to work out how to counter that style, they     are clueless as to how to respond - not least during the game itself.

I think they are very similar.

• Like 1