Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

22 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

OMG. Yes it did and if we had Man City’s squad I would suggest that was the way we went. We don’t, we won’t, so we have to be pragmatic and do something different. Are people really this stupid?

We just won the league mate, simmer down

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

IMO this is what we need to do next season regardless of who is in charge. If Enzo stays, he did actually change to that style after the bad run, so it shows he's not against doing it.

If Coberan comes in and Enzo departs, he's shown he can be both attacking but also pragmatic if need be.

The cup final shows how hard it is to break down a deep block though. Once United were two up they parked the bus and it worked, even against the 4 time league champions. It's impossible to counter attack a team that shows no intent to attack any more!

Perhaps he did or perhaps Vardy's players meeting cajoled a manager that was like a rabbit staring into headlights and was open to persuasion at that moment? Maybe we will never know but the change was almost 180 degrees. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Perhaps he did or perhaps Vardy's players meeting cajoled a manager that was like a rabbit staring into headlights and was open to persuasion at that moment? Maybe we will never know but the change was almost 180 degrees. 

Could it just be a combination of both? That's how a team works after all. 

• Like 2

Just now, Fuchsocksblu said:

Could it just be a combination of both? That's how a team works after all. 

Clearly. All I would add is that Enzo did say that the moment his way of playing was questioned he'd be gone the next day. Either way, glad he sanctioned it or we might well have been in the play offs the way things were going.

I found us incredibly dull in the majority of games I watched last year. I’m not a hoof it up and go for the second ball type by any stretch but Christ the passing round the back for the sake of it just bored me to tears. Especially when you’re on a bad run and losing, even when you’re winning it’s incredibly boring. I don’t enjoy watching Man City for the same reason.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I found us incredibly dull in the majority of games I watched last year. I’m not a hoof it up and go for the second ball type by any stretch but Christ the passing round the back for the sake of it just bored me to tears. Especially when you’re on a bad run and losing, even when you’re winning it’s incredibly boring. I don’t enjoy watching Man City for the same reason.

Out of curiosity, who do you enjoy watching? Just to give us an idea of playing styles. 

5 minutes ago, sbfox said:

Out of curiosity, who do you enjoy watching? Just to give us an idea of playing styles. 

Honestly I’ve pretty much fell out of love with football in the last few years and find myself watching less and less and caring less and less as well. But to answer your question I always found Liverpool under klopp to be enjoyable to watch, always played with a purpose. I guess that’s what I don’t like about it mostly, it just seems so aimless a lot of the time and keeping the ball for the sake of it rather than actually doing anything with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Honestly I’ve pretty much fell out of love with football in the last few years and find myself watching less and less and caring less and less as well. But to answer your question I always found Liverpool under klopp to be enjoyable to watch, always played with a purpose. I guess that’s what I don’t like about it mostly, it just seems so aimless a lot of the time and keeping the ball for the sake of it rather than actually doing anything with it.

I'd argue that our possession style under Maresca does have a purpose, unlike under BR which really did seem like a session of keep ball. But I take your point about falling out of love with football. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sbfox said:

Counter attack with pace.

For a team like us this is how we should play in the PL. it gives the best chance of beating by the better teams.its the style we played under Pearson and CR when we won the league.

i don’t get the obsession with passing it about defence trying to walk it into the goal, it’s mainly boring and against  better teams non-effective 

Edited by dylanlegend
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Interesting. I've never thought Liverpool played good football under Klopp. 

A lot of intensity in the press and they were very good at it. Alot of long balls and winning second balls. 

Give me a Man City type team any day of the week over that.

I'd suggest we'll play Enzo ball against bus parkers and counter attacking against the better attacking teams. We really will have no choice it'll happen naturally.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dylanlegend said:

Counter attack with pace.

For a team like us this is how we should play in the PL. it gives the best chance of beating by the better teams.its the style we played under Pearson and CR when we won the league.

i don’t get the obsession with passing it about defence trying to walk it into the goal, it’s mainly boring and against  better teams non-effective 

Against the better Championship teams our style seemed to be 'pass until there's an opening and then hit at pace', whereas against the park the bus merchants, we had little chance but to pass it around on the halfway line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sbfox said:

Against the better Championship teams our style seemed to be 'pass until there's an opening and then hit at pace', whereas against the park the bus merchants, we had little chance but to pass it around on the halfway line. 

Something I would like to see tried against "Park the bus" teams is to find any way possible to get the ball to your tricky wingers in the box (or get them to run into the box once in possession) and get them to use their fancy footwork.  In a crowded box it would be hard for defenders not to trip those players and give away penalties.

Well, it's a theory :)

13 hours ago, Ashley said:

Interesting. I've never thought Liverpool played good football under Klopp. 

A lot of intensity in the press and they were very good at it. Alot of long balls and winning second balls. 

Give me a Man City type team any day of the week over that.

Never played good football is a bit of a wild call, 
2 of the 4 highest points totals in PL history.

32 wins out of 38 (84.21 win)

unbeaten at home for 68 games (3 years)

44 games with out defeat winning 39 

Lot of club records set at a club with one of the most successful histories in English football.

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

Never played good football is a bit of a wild call, 
2 of the 4 highest points totals in PL history.

32 wins out of 38 (84.21 win)

unbeaten at home for 68 games (3 years)

44 games with out defeat winning 39 

Lot of club records set at a club with one of the most successful histories in English football.

Still wouldn't call it good football it was effective football. 

The intensity they played at was actually crazy but in terms of a play style give me a possession based, passing the ball out of the back I.e. Man City, Barcelona, Bayern Munchen all under Pep than that. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I remember the days where the biggest tactical issue was whether pontus kaamark man marking juninho was in the spirit of the game.  How times change.

Inverted full backs, transition, false 9, low press.....give me a break

Edited by rugbyblue

1 hour ago, rugbyblue said:

I remember the days where the biggest tactical issue was whether pontus kaamark man marking juninho was in the spirit of the game.  How times change.

Inverted full backs, transition, false 9, low press.....give me a break

... and the message to the subs was 'go out and enjoy yourself'

• Haha 1