Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

5 hours ago, Dames said:

Its in my post. He’s picking 2 goalkeepers on the bench, neither of which he rates or wants over outfield players he neither rates or wants whilst also neglecting to fill additional spots with youth/development players. 

A manager only pulls antics like that in league games when there isn’t a widespread injury crisis/illness when they are trying to make a point. You dont need ‘concrete’ evidence to see that. 

Is it more likely he is making a point to players he wants to leave rather than the board.

It’s a bit early for those shenanigans.

6 minutes ago, BillyFOX12 said:

“Leicester City need six exits for Enzo Maresca transfer plans to come to fruition“

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-need-six-exits-8688179.amp 

Don't fancy our chances of getting them sold. When was the last time we successfully sold a fringe player, got to be Ghezzal surely?

Having to teach Thomas and Kristiansen something new?

“For sure as you say, they are two clear full-backs that in our system, they need to learn many things and to adapt. We are trying to do it but at the same time we understand that the best qualities for them is to play as a full-back. It’s the way they have played all of their lives. We are trying to teach them some concepts.”

Can they play like Ricardo does?

“No, I don’t think Victor and Luke they can play inside like Ricardo is doing now. Probably we can try to use them in different way, Victor in the way we are using Callum. Luke we are working with him to see how we can adapt him.”

Conscious this point has been discussed a few times in this thread, so thought it was worth copying here. Interesting Enzo’s opinion seems to match Foxestalk that Victor could fill in for Doyle, although Thomas doesn’t really fit in the new setup…

• Like 2

Do you have a Winks alternative?

“Absolutely. We have Hamza who can play. We can play with Wilfred. Harry’s skills are different from Hamza and Wilfred, but we have players who can play there.”

Another one for the tactics thread maybe re. Alternatives for Winks. Hopefully, Braybrooke can become the long term replacement in that position. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

“Absolutely. We have Hamza who can play. We can play with Wilfred. Harry’s skills are different from Hamza and Wilfred, but we have players who can play there.”

Another one for the tactics thread maybe re. Alternatives for Winks. Hopefully, Braybrooke can become the long term replacement in that position. 

Would’ve thought Praet would be the most like for like switch

• Like 4

One thing I do like about Enzo is that it sounds like he's clear and straight with the players which is something that Brendan certainly wasn't.

This will help when we reach the inevitable drop in form, as they'll trust him not to throw them under the bus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BillyFOX12 said:

“Leicester City need six exits for Enzo Maresca transfer plans to come to fruition“

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-need-six-exits-8688179.amp 

This is a slightly click bait title. Shock of shocks with the Mercury. 

It isn't a quote it's just someone doing the obvious maths that the squad would be too large. 

We don't ACTUALLY need to sell or loan out six players, we just wouldn't be able to register them all. Obviously we don't want to pay players that aren't playing but we technically have done it before (Papy Mendy, Hamza Choudhury) and frankly given their replacements are likely to be young loan signings on fvck all money, it wouldn't kill us financially. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, OadbyBlue said:

Would’ve thought Praet would be the most like for like switch

A million times no. For the Nth time on foxestalk, back when people used to suggest he should play for Tielemans, he is not now and never has been a holding midfielder. All of his instincts are to make forward runs off the ball (see the great chances he got against Huddersfield) and tbf he's not bad at it. But he's utterly horrible in the DM position. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

A million times no. For the Nth time on foxestalk, back when people used to suggest he should play for Tielemans, he is not now and never has been a holding midfielder. All of his instincts are to make forward runs off the ball (see the great chances he got against Huddersfield) and tbf he's not bad at it. But he's utterly horrible in the DM position. 

I agree that he looks better further forward (also where he played for Anderlecht) but afaik he spent most of his time at Sampdoria in a deeper-lying role, so you'd think he must be somewhat capable

25 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

He's good at it! I always thought Praet makes the best runs out of all our midfielders, going back to when Tielemens and Maddison were here too.

• Like 1

Just now, Fox92 said:

He's good at it! I always thought Praet makes the best runs out of all our midfielders, going back to when Tielemens and Maddison were here too.

Yeah I have absolutely no problem with us playing in forward positions. His movement off the ball is excellent (for an attacking player.)

But it makes him rancid at playing the Winks/Youri role. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Foxes96 said:

“For sure as you say, they are two clear full-backs that in our system, they need to learn many things and to adapt. We are trying to do it but at the same time we understand that the best qualities for them is to play as a full-back. It’s the way they have played all of their lives. We are trying to teach them some concepts.”

“No, I don’t think Victor and Luke they can play inside like Ricardo is doing now. Probably we can try to use them in different way, Victor in the way we are using Callum. Luke we are working with him to see how we can adapt him.”

Conscious this point has been discussed a few times in this thread, so thought it was worth copying here. Interesting Enzo’s opinion seems to match Foxestalk that Victor could fill in for Doyle, although Thomas doesn’t really fit in the new setup…

The last bit that interested me was when he spoke about Ndidi being a box to box/ #8 type player alongside KDH, Casadei and Praet. 

He never said anything we hadn't speculated on but that alongside VK being used in the Doyle role and Hamza being used in the Winks role were interesting. 

The only one I'm left wondering about is JJ. Is he going to be used as a CB or in the Ricardo role? 

16 hours ago, Dames said:

Its in my post. He’s picking 2 goalkeepers on the bench, neither of which he rates or wants over outfield players he neither rates or wants whilst also neglecting to fill additional spots with youth/development players. 

A manager only pulls antics like that in league games when there isn’t a widespread injury crisis/illness when they are trying to make a point. You dont need ‘concrete’ evidence to see that. 

Mate - I said i don't buy that and explained extensively why it's just a cynical guess - if that's all you've got to suggest he's 'playing chess with the board' - then you don't really have even the slightest argument that that is the case. 

8 hours ago, Foxes96 said:

I don't have any particular memory of Thomas being poor on the ball, so i can't see how he could be any worse - technically - than Hamza, who certainly has limitations in that area (compared to winks and recardo, other than experience/mentality - but it's interesting to see him considering where he can use him, suggests he sees something in him.

8 hours ago, Foxes96 said:

I'm not so sure Ndidi has the passing range or control to play as one of the pivots - granted he seems to have improved, but still....  I'm surprised he didn't mention Praet though, as he seems much better on the ball than ndidi or hamza.

7 hours ago, Lionator said:

One thing I do like about Enzo is that it sounds like he's clear and straight with the players which is something that Brendan certainly wasn't.

This will help when we reach the inevitable drop in form, as they'll trust him not to throw them under the bus.

Not so sure about that: 

BR: Jannik, Cags...um, dennis, ayo...ye are all shit cnuts, feck off and don't let me see ye here again....

*apologies for the mildly racist and no doubt inaccurate attempt at dialect.

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

As opposed to Hamza or ndidi? - neither of whom have much in the way of control or passing range. At least praet can control a ball, carry it forward and play a decent pass.  Fact is, we really don't have a plan B for winks until braybrooke is back, and seemingly nothing for ricardo other than hamza, who is incapable of turning with the ball.

4 hours ago, Scotch said:

The last bit that interested me was when he spoke about Ndidi being a box to box/ #8 type player alongside KDH, Casadei and Praet. 

He never said anything we hadn't speculated on but that alongside VK being used in the Doyle role and Hamza being used in the Winks role were interesting. 

The only one I'm left wondering about is JJ. Is he going to be used as a CB or in the Ricardo role

None of the above - i'd guess he'll occasionally get the doyle role (but on the right) if we switch ricardo to invert from LB - at least that's the only action he saw in pre-season.  Much like Thomas, he doesn't really fit in this system.