Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Great question and your suggestion makes sense. Hamza is the other player we’ve used for the role so it’s something Maresca himself is happy to do. 

Ricardo is likely the best player we have in the squad now Tielemans and Maddison are gone. Not just in terms of technique but in terms of football intelligence. So far if you look at our stats for the season he’s one of our highest rated players so he’s proving he can play the role. 

Now another good and related question is if we should be playing this system at all. Ricardo has been great but if he was playing his traditional role it’s hard not to imagine him being as good, if not better. In fact if we had just played 4231 all season it’s likely we would also have won all of our games but with better performances. This is sort of the point @Paninistickers is making and I wouldn’t disagree with it. 

However, what Maresca is doing and why I think he’s a brilliant appointment is that he’s preparing us to compete in the Premier League. If we were still in it and tried this system, we’d probably have lost every game. It takes lots of time and practice to get good at it. Right now we are getting away with it, in many games the opposition have had better XG than us, yet we’ve won the game. But if we do get good at it, then we will be better than a lot of teams in the top division. Just look at Brighton who spanked another team yesterday by using very similar principles. 

It’s definitely a gamble, but so far it’s working. I think a better time to make judgments is after 20 games. Usually I’d say 10 but given all the new signings and the window not closed yet, we don’t even know who will be in our squad. Plus the Championship is 8 more games. If after 20 we are still dodgy then I think questions about the system become relevant. But I suspect we will be a lot better at playing this way than we are now. But we’ll find out in due course!

I interpreted Maresca as saying Choudhury is backup to Winks though.

I would prefer if we could switch up the side that our 'Ricardo' plays from time to time, so we would be harder to read and mark out of the game - especially if it means we use Justin on the right who has the physique to contribute well in forward areas too without exposing us too much.

8 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

So if Casadei starts the next game. Who do you think he will he replace ?

Ndidi, pretty obvious I'd say.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Let's be real, that's a pretty valid observation. Whilst you're right in that it doesn't have to be a change of system the fact is, system, approach and personnel are barely changing, if at all so there really is no plan B.

Really enjoy Enzo's interviews at times because there's a hint of Pearson in there. But his philosophy is worryingly rigid at the moment and it's excluding some of the best players and forcing him to peak some of the worst players. I hope he quickly realises he needs to be more flexible as it's not sustainable at the moment, and even if we did get promoted, we'd be straight back down.

Still, early days and he's a bright guy so should work out well.

Really?

Would you say Ndidi is the same sort of player as Casadei?

What about the changes made last week to see out the game against Huddersfield? 

We were undone by a 1 in 100 goal yesterday, and apart from 1 other real scare of note we pretty much bossed the game against a side who are decent with arguable the best player in the league playing for them. 

Things aren't clicking right in the final 3rd at the moment. Runs aren't being spotted, passes aren't crisp enough or quite hitting their mark, that I agree with, but improve on some lacklustre finishing and a little more composure that is completely masked. 

There hasn't been any real need to change the way we're playing right now, we haven't really looked like we've needed to, and so far it's paid off. Enzo hasn't been tested really in a way that he's needed to change the system, the only thing letting us down so far is individual choice or error. 

The problem I'm seeing with people who think things should change is a lack of patience and there's a frustration with the slower tempo, they don't like it because it's not the Leicester way. Couple that with the feeling of last season still fresh in the mind and there's far more of an edgy feel than there needs to be.

If we go up changes will be made, if you put this team in the premier league we'd have lost all 3 games so far, but hopefully that's a problem for him to sort next summer. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Really?

Would you say Ndidi is the same sort of player as Casadei?

What about the changes made last week to see out the game against Huddersfield? 

We were undone by a 1 in 100 goal yesterday, and apart from 1 other real scare of note we pretty much bossed the game against a side who are decent with arguable the best player in the league playing for them. 

Things aren't clicking right in the final 3rd at the moment. Runs aren't being spotted, passes aren't crisp enough or quite hitting their mark, that I agree with, but improve on some lacklustre finishing and a little more composure that is completely masked. 

There hasn't been any real need to change the way we're playing right now, we haven't really looked like we've needed to, and so far it's paid off. Enzo hasn't been tested really in a way that he's needed to change the system, the only thing letting us down so far is individual choice or error. 

The problem I'm seeing with people who think things should change is a lack of patience and there's a frustration with the slower tempo, they don't like it because it's not the Leicester way. Couple that with the feeling of last season still fresh in the mind and there's far more of an edgy feel than there needs to be.

If we go up changes will be made, if you put this team in the premier league we'd have lost all 3 games so far, but hopefully that's a problem for him to sort next summer. 

He’s been playing Ndidi in a different role that Ndidi has been adapting to. Was always the intention to play Casadei there once he was available. Square pegs and all that from Wilf. 

Question is does Wilf now get moved on, or stay for backup?

2 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

He’s been playing Ndidi in a different role that Ndidi has been adapting to. Was always the intention to play Casadei there once he was available. Square pegs and all that from Wilf. 

Question is does Wilf now get moved on, or stay for backup?

Wilf gives us a different option, and we've seen flashes of it. He can do what he has always done for us, just further up the field. 

I'd personally keep him because as other keeps arguing that we don't have a plan B, he is it. Plus he's always going to be decent to bring on to see games out etc 

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Wilf gives us a different option, and we've seen flashes of it. He can do what he has always done for us, just further up the field. 

I'd personally keep him because as other keeps arguing that we don't have a plan B, he is it. Plus he's always going to be decent to bring on to see games out etc 

Wilfs not going to get any better, and isn’t s particularly skilful player. I think if Casadei remains fit you won’t see much of him unless Enzo migrâtes him to a different role.

Edited by Chelmofox

3 hours ago, shen said:

Thinking about it, why is an 'inverted' fullback essential in this system?

Couldn't it be a player used to playing in central midfield who is just schooled to defend in a fullback position instead of the opposite? 

I would think that finding a fullback with the qualities in possession requires to play the role is harder to find than a midfielder being asked to defend differently.

Well Hamza has played both right back, Centre half and obviously centre mid aswell. Ndidi has played  centre back before and his touch is getting better. So I'd say if you were looking. One injury to Ricardo and the whole thing falls apart as it stands.

1 minute ago, Beachyboy said:

Well Hamza has played both right back, Centre half and obviously centre mid aswell. Ndidi has played  centre back before and his touch is getting better. So I'd say if you were looking. One injury to Ricardo and the whole thing falls apart as it stands.

Yes, but if Maresca dismisses the idea that VK and Thomas can play that role (between the lines he's saying their 'intelligence' is too far from Ricardo's), then I honestly don't see him utilising Hamza as backup to Ricardo.

Ndidi has clearly been marked as an '8' in this system. Maresca doesn't seem interested in using him in the double pivot - and I agree, So despite his previous versatility with us, I don't think that Ndidi fits anywhere else but as an emergency centerback which is an area where we currently have plenty of cover.

I agree that we look very fragile if Ricardo gets injured. Good thing he doesn't have a tendency to get injured...

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, shen said:

Yes, but if Maresca dismisses the idea that VK and Thomas can play that role (between the lines he's saying their 'intelligence' is too far from Ricardo's), then I honestly don't see him utilising Hamza as backup to Ricardo.

Ndidi has clearly been marked as an '8' in this system. Maresca doesn't seem interested in using him in the double pivot - and I agree, So despite his previous versatility with us, I don't think that Ndidi fits anywhere else but as an emergency centerback which is an area where we currently have plenty of cover.

I agree that we look very fragile if Ricardo gets injured. Good thing he doesn't have a tendency to get injured...

Well from memory and looking at the Burton line up it was Justin that stepped in right back (right centre half) with Choudary coming into the midfield. I think from memory Enzo said he has 4 players in KDH, Hamza, Wilf and Praet that can play midfield. He would probably bring Justin, Hamza and Albrighton into the team if Ricardo was injured just to give a bit more defensive solidity. Ndidi has impressed me in tight areas of the pitch, he received an awful pass from KDH shielded it played Marcal in and 5 seconds later KDH has a shot at goal.

Edited by Beachyboy

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Great question and your suggestion makes sense. Hamza is the other player we’ve used for the role so it’s something Maresca himself is happy to do. 

Ricardo is likely the best player we have in the squad now Tielemans and Maddison are gone. Not just in terms of technique but in terms of football intelligence. So far if you look at our stats for the season he’s one of our highest rated players so he’s proving he can play the role. 

Now another good and related question is if we should be playing this system at all. Ricardo has been great but if he was playing his traditional role it’s hard not to imagine him being as good, if not better. In fact if we had just played 4231 all season it’s likely we would also have won all of our games but with better performances. This is sort of the point @Paninistickers is making and I wouldn’t disagree with it. 

However, what Maresca is doing and why I think he’s a brilliant appointment is that he’s preparing us to compete in the Premier League. If we were still in it and tried this system, we’d probably have lost every game. It takes lots of time and practice to get good at it. Right now we are getting away with it, in many games the opposition have had better XG than us, yet we’ve won the game. But if we do get good at it, then we will be better than a lot of teams in the top division. Just look at Brighton who spanked another team yesterday by using very similar principles. 

It’s definitely a gamble, but so far it’s working. I think a better time to make judgments is after 20 games. Usually I’d say 10 but given all the new signings and the window not closed yet, we don’t even know who will be in our squad. Plus the Championship is 8 more games. If after 20 we are still dodgy then I think questions about the system become relevant. But I suspect we will be a lot better at playing this way than we are now. But we’ll find out in due course!

I agree with this take on the system. Before we appointed Enzo my preferred system this season would have been 4-5-1, utilising Iversen, Souttar, KDH, and Kel, then filling in the gaps, as it would have meant we'd have had a proven star at this level throughout the spine (Kel excluded but there was never any doubt he'd star in this league). I'm in no doubt we'd have walked the league this season with that team and system but you're right I don't think we would have fared well in the PL upon return. 

As you've highlighted this style of play takes a long time to embed and play optimally. If you take Arsenal as an example, despite winning the FA Cup, Arteta guided them to 8th in his first season, 3 places below the much maligned Emery the previous season, and 8th the following season too. I know several Arsenal fans that were desperate for him to get the sack after their poor start to the 21/22 season but the board (Edu mainly) believed in his philosophy and stuck with him and as the saying goes 'the rest is history'. 

I think what some are failing to understand is that Enzo will be ruthless when he has to be, and thinking longer term those who aren't putting up ridiculous numbers this term will be moved on/demoted to a place on the bench as soon as we make the PL, replaced with better quality. 

Hearing people say we'd have been a few goals down in the PL whilst correct, is a bit of a misnomer as that's not the level we're competing at. Such views also presume that we wouldn't add quality ourselves in that situation so it's a moot point. Comparative to the rest of league we've got that extra bit of quality that others don't possess and that's currently proving the difference between taking 1 point and all 3.

Edited by ian__marshall
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think Wilf has in (increasingly larger) patches in games, been magnificent. I've enjoyed seeing him enjoying his football again. He's not that far off 2018/19 Wilf

I think it would be a extremely unwise choice to drop him. He's fitter, stronger and smells danger and opportunity better than anything I'd expect to see in a championship midfield 

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

I think it's worth sticking with.

The wingers were isolated because Cardiff had a plan to pack the midfield and man-mark the two wingers. This is where our system will come into play and where we have to be clinical and ruthless. The opposition will eventually get tired chasing and pressing, and that's where we have to be on it to capitalise. And a couple of times yesterday we were. It'll become better when Maresca gets a settled squad and the players he wants, and it's a promising start because Casadei is one of those players. 

If Mavididi was narrower, it packs the midfield even more and cramps up the space that we'd try and work for Winks and KDH. The fluidity wasn't to do with our downfall I think, it was more to do with how the opposition was set up in a low and compressed block with defensive line and midfield line close together. Had we been a bit sharper (KDH, looking at you), we'd have broken them down before the first goal went in.

I’m not saying Mavididi should come inside but he’s so high and wide he can’t combine with anybody. He can maintain width without being on the touchline. Especially as Doyle is often so deep, in the latter stages when he pushed up more we actually exploited the deeper space 

Saw this on Beyond the 90, quite interesting to see:

CAUzq7P.png

Ricardo plays centrally next to Winks, but look how high up he played at times to compress the play into their half and support the attack. Iheanacho is definitely fulfilling more of a False 9 for us based on his team position, dragging players out of place. We might also be trying to use a "double box" midfield... that is something to keep an eye on, as this pitch position would be indicative of that.

ZtijTRI.png

Looking at our midfielders, we can see KDH's favourite position and see he gets into the box quite a bit, certainly a lot more than Ndidi, which under Maresca is something he needs to work on. I thought he had a good game, but this explains his substitution in the second half, he's not getting into the box enough to add to our goal threat.

Finally, Harry Winks... he's everywhere! For me, he's been our best player so far this season, he's the engine and heartbeat of the team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Saw this on Beyond the 90, quite interesting to see:

CAUzq7P.png

Ricardo plays centrally next to Winks, but look how high up he played at times to compress the play into their half and support the attack. Iheanacho is definitely fulfilling more of a False 9 for us based on his team position, dragging players out of place. We might also be trying to use a "double box" midfield... that is something to keep an eye on, as this pitch position would be indicative of that.

ZtijTRI.png

Looking at our midfielders, we can see KDH's favourite position and see he gets into the box quite a bit, certainly a lot more than Ndidi, which under Maresca is something he needs to work on. I thought he had a good game, but this explains his substitution in the second half, he's not getting into the box enough to add to our goal threat.

Finally, Harry Winks... he's everywhere! For me, he's been our best player so far this season, he's the engine and heartbeat of the team.

Winks great with the ball and makes us tick..

pretty poor without it though… 

his lack of cover in front of the back 4 is quite alarming..

5 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

We dominated all 3 league games. Opposition teams will always get chances - thats football. They have to take them as much as we do. I don't think we have been lucky at all, just that we've had a bit more quality when needed. Moving forward we have to be more clinical.

Whats interesting to me is how Cardiff completely buckled and lost the plot at the end of the game. Especially as they had spent pretty much all the 2nd half playing their system well. To me its a sign they got frustrated, tired and run out of ideas/steam. Again, this isn't luck - its part of the plan.

The plan is to hang on and wait for the opposition to not get out of sight and eventually run out of steam enabling us to score?

There's nothing wrong with luck, good or bad. It's probably 90% of every game.

How can anyone seriously think we haven't been lucky:blink:

1 minute ago, Royston. said:

The plan is to hang on and wait for the opposition to not get out of sight and eventually run out of steam enabling us to score?

I didn't say that. What we saw with Cardiff was the end product of our system. I dont believe for one moment its going to work like that every match. It just really interested me yesterday how they fell of a cliff very quickly.

1 minute ago, Royston. said:

Well, me for a start. I don't think we have been lucky because opposing teams haven't put their good chances away. In reality, Cardiffs goal came out of nowhere and was a bit of a worldie. Teams always get chances in football - thats the nature of the game. But in each game we have had lots of chances ourselves and i think we were unlucky not to be 2 up at half time. We've made it hard for ourselves, but i think we have deserved each result - just about. 

I think the signs are there that if (or when) this all clicks into place, and we are more clinical, we could be beating the likes of Cardiff 3 or 4 nil. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Royston. said:

There's nothing wrong with luck, good or bad. It's probably 90% of every game.

But we haven't been lucky.

Unless you count being in the championship and the standard of finishing is very, very poor, then yes we've been lucky. 

20 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

@StriderHiryu 11 minutes of football erotica for you here

Everyone on here needs to listen to this. It's only 20 minutes long but gives great insight.

Here's a link for those that don't have a BBC account (I don't because I think their service has gone down the toliet):

"We might be patient, but it's with purpose, and that purpose is to win! We were 1-0 down against Coventry but remained patient, our goal came from 15-20 passes from our goalkeeper."

"One chance Jannick got all the way to the 18 yard box before a challenge came in. That's why sometimes he will just walk forward with ball"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2