Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

Observing us, we seem to be a strong first half team. I think we need to convert it into more goals and have more control after half time. Then we are finishing strongly too.

The 20 minutes after the break is where we seem to struggle. That is what needs to be worked on.

• Like 1

If a club of our stature (ie we can’t just buy ad infinitum) want to transition to play like a pep team then it has to be done over time. Brighton are doing it under di zerbi but they had years of possession play with potter to fall back on. The whole ethos of the side was looking after the ball and being comfortable in tight spaces. 

you could say that dropping down allows us the time to make this change and if we can bounce straight back, the base is in place for us to try and play this way at the highest level. Of course you’ll see instances where it’s disastrous (see brighton v West Ham yesterday and Everton last season ) but overall, the positives will easily outweigh the negatives. 

had we survived in the prem then I doubt enzo would have been able to do what he’s doing. it would have to be a much longer process and new coaches rarely get the time to do what they need to with the threat of relegation looming large. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Drink Water said:

I noticed this too, surprisingly much more fluid and energetic after the second goal. I do think Casadei was a big component in this, Justin too with his pace. 

We were great after getting the 2nd, much  control but also zip in our play. Could’ve got in numerous times but we were managing the game.

Great to be able to manage the game like that but also very frustrating knowing we have that in us but barely showed it for the majority.

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Observing us, we seem to be a strong first half team. I think we need to convert it into more goals and have more control after half time. Then we are finishing strongly too.

The 20 minutes after the break is where we seem to struggle. That is what needs to be worked on.

It’s as if Rodgers has given the half time talk by video link 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

giphy.gif

One of our best moves of the match, made from playing out from the back. Fantastic play from Winks involved with the ball around the corner. Mavididi has to be doing much, much better though!

Also notice that the chance doesn't happen if Nacho doesn't come deep and drag the Rotherham CB out from his defensive line, leaving acres of space for KDH to attack in behind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

It’s as if Rodgers has given the half time talk by video link 

I think this will come simply by time, I doubt Enzo Maresca did much talking/shouting when Man City was 0-0 with Inter Milan at half-time, or during many of their key tight matches. I take it was all Guardiola. But now as a manager, Maresca will grow not only in his game strategy but also his leadership skills and motivational speeches.

23 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

giphy.gif

One of our best moves of the match, made from playing out from the back. Fantastic play from Winks involved with the ball around the corner. Mavididi has to be doing much, much better though!

Pure filth. Wish he’d finished that chance 

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

giphy.gif

Thanks for the clip. This thread is great to read after a match.

Just a point of how Ndidi shows that the CM role is way more box to box than purely attacking. Good run tracking and then calm on the ball. 

I echo @Claudio Fannieri comments, thoroughly agree with everything you’ve said.

From our games so far, possession when in the final third is the area that needs improving the most. Of course we have been crying out for some attacking reinforcements, but I feel the connection between our two 8’s and our front three, has been pretty wayward at times. 

The base of our midfield with the combo of Winks & Ricardo has worked well so far, in possession they are giving us exactly what we expect from them. Winks has produced over 90% pass completion in all his games so far. 

When it comes to further forward though, I just feel that KDH & Ndidi have been far too impatient in possession at times. In some games so far, yesterday against Rotherham for instance, Ndidi was down in the 70’s for pass completion, that isn’t going to cut it in a possession based team. 

You thoroughly expect Casadei to come in and be a regular starter at some point, hopefully he can give us more solidity when in possession. It’s looking unlikely but I feel we need another ‘8’ before the transfer window closes. 

Once the connection between the two 8’s and our front three improve, then I thoroughly believe we’ll be the best side to watch in the division. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, davieG said:

I don't think overall it's the same as last year it's just the bad passing which was a major symptom of our downfall last season is still with us otherwise I'm very happy with the way were going. Competent passing it's not something Enzo can do about it's down to individual players concentration and awareness etc.

Something has definitely happened with our passing since last year, our volume is up but so is our completion percentage  - maybe because we are making so many more passes this year, it just seems like there's more errors, when, in fact, as a percentage there are fewer; also, what is more important, this year when we lose possession we are winning it back quicker and more often.

5 hours ago, Corky said:

The Cardiff game was the sucker punch from the Ramsey goal before HT. We are also generally poor at defending corners/set pieces/crosses. So we probably concede the Coventry/Rotherham goals at any point in the game if the delivery is spot on. Concentration and finding rhythm after the break is definitely an issue. Like you say if we can get a 2 goal lead into the HT that will help with the start if the 2nd half, the Burton game was a largely dull 2nd half due to the 2nd goal on the stroke of HT.

5 hours ago, Corky said:

I'd say at this level we can get away with some of the backing off we do that allows the opposition into the game - as long as we continue to keep our discipline - both the rotherham and cardiff goals came when we were taking it easy, but crucially came from two sloppy passes.  There is a time for us to be easy, but the concentration needs to stay strong, that's why we struggle.

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

giphy.gif

It's just such a brain fart from Mavididi. You can see what he's trying to do being unselfish but he's scored already this year off his left foot and he's done so plenty of times for Montpellier. Just wanted him to back himself. 

Heart breaking because it's exactly the sort of chance he's there for and KDH finally picks him out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's just such a brain fart from Mavididi. You can see what he's trying to do being unselfish but he's scored already this year off his left foot and he's done so plenty of times for Montpellier. Just wanted him to back himself. 

Heart breaking because it's exactly the sort of chance he's there for and KDH finally picks him out. 

It's always difficult at a new club - some players will just blast in from day 1, others feel the need to try to, i don't know, fit in :dunno:  he'll be banging them in by xmas!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

The angle tightened on him after the 2nd touch. It’s almost like a slightly heavier first touch would have left him a slightly better position. I’ve seen many players slice those badly on their weaker foot. 

Let’s hope we see more and more chances like this. I’m sure he will put plenty away. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

giphy.gif

Looks remarkably similar to one of our moves you posted after the Cardiff game. 

Rinse and repeat until it becomes second nature for the players.