Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

11 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

It's always difficult at a new club - some players will just blast in from day 1, others feel the need to try to, i don't know, fit in :dunno:  he'll be banging them in by xmas!

11 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

The angle tightened on him after the 2nd touch. It’s almost like a slightly heavier first touch would have left him a slightly better position. I’ve seen many players slice those badly on their weaker foot. 

Let’s hope we see more and more chances like this. I’m sure he will put plenty away. 

I'm a big fan of his already, I've got massive faith in him. Think he'll be a great signing. 

But it was honking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's just such a brain fart from Mavididi. You can see what he's trying to do being unselfish but he's scored already this year off his left foot and he's done so plenty of times for Montpellier. Just wanted him to back himself. 

Heart breaking because it's exactly the sort of chance he's there for and KDH finally picks him out. 

The team have not been good at 1 on 1 finishing. Hope we spend time in training on them, because we will be making a lot of these type of chances.

Just a note but Ndidi I think it is who is top of the picture steps off the gas a bit too, which is also bad. Because if our players are crap at 1 on 1's, in this system they can square it to someone else to finish, or that player can get the second ball if the keeper makes a save.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Winks is way, way, way better than anyone thought he would be. I wished we had him last season, I think we would have stayed up. He lacks the long shots of Tielemans and is maybe a bit less ambitious / creative with his passes. But he has a good engine, always shows for the ball, and seems a bit more press resistant than Youri. If you are a defender you KNOW you always have two outlets in Winks and Ricardo, and you can trust them to look after it. That breeds confidence.

A friend of mine supports Tottenham and after one of the goals said "I notice Winks passing it sideways again!" But then I showed him this clip and he was slightly surprised because he wasn't instructed to do that at Tottenham. They all have fond feelings of him and wish him the best, which I think speaks highly of him as a professional. A very real concern would be what we do if he gets injured...

I'm amazed we managed to get him when yesterday a team as savvy as Brighton are starting Billy Gilmour.

On 26/08/2023 at 23:46, StriderHiryu said:

"We could play a little bit more for me." Not scathing but good he's not just Brendan style buttering his own bread.

He was beaming when asked about Kasey McAteer. That's nice to see!

I can see why he's so highly regarded. 5 wins from 5 and all it's about is improvement - plenty could easily laud it but he knows there's loads of room for improvement. It should be pretty standard stuff but it hadn't been here in the last couple of years.

• Like 1

Well and good to play Maresca tactics but with the players we have (a few levels above Rotherham at least) and his supposed positive football, we really need to see us just going for it, every single minute until the end no matter whether we are winning, losing or drawing. The fact that we stopped playing as soon as we went 2-1 up reminds me very much of Rodgers and his loser mentality. I commented on it at the time but I was laughed at (I am sure some one will do the same this time). In the end, we not only choked we choked so much we sleep walked into relegation under Rodgers. We are in the Championship guys - don’t be afraid. Just play.

We need to play like this guy wants:

Edited by Tom12345

3 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

Well and good to play Maresca tactics but with the players we have (a few levels above Rotherham at least) and his supposed positive football, we really need to see us just going for it, every single minute until the end no matter whether we are winning, losing or drawing. The fact that we stopped playing as soon as we went 2-1 up reminds me very much of Rodgers and his loser mentality. I commented on it at the time but I was laughed at (I am sure some one will do the same this time). In the end, we not only choked we choked so much we sleep walked into relegation under Rodgers. We are in the Championship guys - don’t be afraid. Just play.

Stopped playing after we went 2-1up? Was literally our best period of the game, we completely controlled it and didn’t give them a sniff of getting back in it.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

A team is at their most vulnerable after they've just scored. It's important to keep control of the game, and the ball after you've scored. Settle down and don't let the other team back in. 

With so little time in the game left after we scored, we most certainly didn't stop playing, we completely bossed the final minutes.

It was polar opposite what we saw under Rodgers. Firstly, we were hardly ever ahead I a game last season, but when we scored it seemed apparent that Rodgers was more bothered about shape than he was gaining control of the football. Enzo has us gaining control of the ball, and keeping it, so that we settle back into our game and has the opposition chasing shadows. It's called game management. What's the point in going for it when you're 2-1 up with 5 minutes left and the opposition can just as easily catch you out with a hopeful ball over the top? The only sure fire way to make sure you don't concede is to not let them have the ball. And at the end of the day, the only stat that truly matters is points on the board. 

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

I'm echoing what others have said but we certainly didn't stop playing. We dominated after we scored. Completely controlling possession and the tempo of the game. 

We are playing the ENZO way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

We are in the Championship guys - don’t be afraid. Just play.

The love-in is getting a bit ridiculous. Shouting ‘play’ is hardly ground breaking stuff lol 

• Thanks 1

Guest Col city fan

I wrote a couple of matches in that it looks like Maresca knows what he’s doing.

We aren’t pretty, but what we are is fit, solid and well organised.

We look hard to beat and are conceding relatively few goals.

We’ve made some sensible signings and selling the right players.

However, we have had a VERY kind start to the season, fixtures wise and I believe we’ve missed a trick by not signing that striker from Swansea.

All in all though, this could have gone two ways. Luckily, and with good thinking, it’s gone the right way so far.

11 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I wrote a couple of matches in that it looks like Maresca knows what he’s doing.

We aren’t pretty, but what we are is fit, solid and well organised.

We look hard to beat and are conceding relatively few goals.

We’ve made some sensible signings and selling the right players.

However, we have had a VERY kind start to the season, fixtures wise and I believe we’ve missed a trick by not signing that striker from Swansea.

All in all though, this could have gone two ways. Luckily, and with good thinking, it’s gone the right way so far.

We’re basically in pre-season until the tough run of Southampton and Norwich. If we can come through those unscathed I’ll be very very excited 

1 hour ago, KFS said:

We’re basically in pre-season until the tough run of Southampton and Norwich. If we can come through those unscathed I’ll be very very excited 

Same here. September is quite a difficult month for us. Starting with Hull in Saturday, back to back away games against Southampton and Norwich, Bristol City at home and finish the month with Blackburn away. And more annoyingly, certainly from a fans view point, non of those away games are on a Saturday. 

If we can pick up from every one of those games then I might get in board with this whole "straight back up" thing 

1 hour ago, KFS said:

I mean, not really. If we'd lost our league games so far, you wouldn't be claiming this was pre-season. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KFS said:

The love-in is getting a bit ridiculous. Shouting ‘play’ is hardly ground breaking stuff lol 

You obviously don’t watch how Ange’s teams play. That clip was just a representation of his game. His motto is never stop. Same as top managers like Klopp and Guardiola. They do not “game manage” that I see time and time again some FT fans here shout about: exactly the loser mentality I talked about.  There is a reason why you see Liverpool and Man City score 4-1; 3-0 wins. They don’t stop after leading thinking that they may get caught out.

Look, it is a process and I am not saying Enzo is bad. I like it so far. Just that I don’t like to instill “game manage” ie. loser mentality in our game. It is disheartening to see our player run to the corner flag, then lose the ball anyway, when he could have run towards goal and try to take a shot.

6 hours ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

I'm echoing what others have said but we certainly didn't stop playing. We dominated after we scored. Completely controlling possession and the tempo of the game. 

We are playing the ENZO way.

Just like how Rodgers started and how fans reacted, as I recall.

We stop playing for sure when we are not playing our game. When you run to the corner flag and then lose possession anyway instead of trying to take a shot, that is not playing our game. Game manage against Rotherham is not exactly confidence building. I don’t see Man City game manage normally - they continue to attack.

But it is a process, and I hope this is just a phase. After years of Rodgers, I just don’t want us to go back to that.

Edited by Tom12345

45 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Just like how Rodgers started and how fans reacted, as I recall.

We stop playing for sure when we are not playing our game. When you run to the corner flag and then lose possession anyway instead of trying to take a shot, that is not playing our game. Game manage against Rotherham is not exactly confidence building. I don’t see Man City game manage normally - they continue to attack.

But it is a process, and I hope this is just a phase. After years of Rodgers, I just don’t want us to go back to that.

You're always gonna be disappointed if you expect us to play like Man City and Liverpool, and we're a long long way off competing with them again. Just enjoy winning games instead of picking holes 5 games into a manager's reign.

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

You obviously don’t watch how Ange’s teams play. That clip was just a representation of his game. His motto is never stop. Same as top managers like Klopp and Guardiola. They do not “game manage” that I see time and time again some FT fans here shout about: exactly the loser mentality I talked about.  There is a reason why you see Liverpool and Man City score 4-1; 3-0 wins. They don’t stop after leading thinking that they may get caught out.

Look, it is a process and I am not saying Enzo is bad. I like it so far. Just that I don’t like to instill “game manage” ie. loser mentality in our game. It is disheartening to see our player run to the corner flag, then lose the ball anyway, when he could have run towards goal and try to take a shot.

Mate I want to get out of this shithole league, I’d take 24 more 1-0s with Mavididi and KDH doing a corner flag rondo from the first minute

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

When Man City blow away a team they nearly always score most of their goals in the first half and then manage the game in the second.

Also going to the corner flag is straight out of Pep's playbook so it's difficult to understand where you're getting this "loser mentality" stuff from https://reddit.com/r/Football_Shithouse/s/GhSV8rMeGC 

• Like 2