Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

the ground is a cesspit. 

"JUST GET RID OF IT"

"HIT IT LONG"

"GET IT OUT"

Goalkeeper/defender duly obliges...

"WHO'S THAT TO!?"

"KEEP THE BALL!"

"WHAT A WASTE!"

That did indeed, happen behind me today. 

Guys moaning at our keeper taking too long, and telling him to bang it up field.

Then when he did, and we lost the ball, they were moaning about him kicking it long!

You couldn't make it up lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

We’re not gaining much by playing Ricardo as an inverted full back. JJ at LB and Ricardo as RB would stop the wingers being so isolated.

A more conventional set up creates more here.

Feel the same, maybe I dont understand the tactics but using a dangerous fullback in the middle to make 5 yard passes seems a waste tbh. 

• Like 2

My only criticism is I can't understand why Casadei isn't starting games yet. He's an infinitely better option than Wilf in that role. Are we starting Wild out of some sort of misplaced loyalty? I hope not because I expect Enzo to be better than that. 

KDH is killing us in transition. Cumbersome with the ball at his feet and far to slow to play the pass.

Other than that, I'm sticking with it. 

Edited by SecretPro
  • Like 2

hmm, im not sure right now. I think today the system lost us that game. At times i felt we were all over them, but we end up just running into bodies. I feel a more conventional setup pays more dividends here. There feels like there is zero flexibly up front. It is very, very rigid. 

Its nice and all posting snippets of great play, but on the whole its not a great watch for 90 minutes. 

My concern is i actually think we lose the next 2 games away as i just don't think we are ready. Its going to be a difficult month, and i think its going to be a while before we hit our stride again.

4 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

My only criticism is I can't understand why Casadei isn't starting games yet. He's an infinitely better option than Wilf in that role. Are we starting Wild out of some sort of misplaced loyalty? I hope not because I expect Enzo to be better than that. 

KDH is killing is in transition. Cumbersome with the feet at his ball and far to slow to play the pass.

Other than that, I'm sticking with it. 

I thought he brilliant at arriving in the right place to score. Could have had two. 

1 minute ago, Bourbon Fox said:

True, he just struggled to have an impact today. Off day for him and Ricardo, and the system relies on them heavily - especially with Wilf and KDH ahead of them.

Winks has been brilliant. Loved his passion today too. The ref got under his skin and who can blame him?!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dynamark said:

Not sure Enzo is quite as good as we hoped, Got well turned over today didnt change the set up and no urgency until the last 15

Did you watch the game?! We could have won this game on a different day. He made three subs in the first 10 minutes and we dominated the second half. 

14 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

Funny. He was right up there from my MOTM. Defended well. Busted his gut to get up the pitch repeatedly. 

Really?? 

I find it fascinating that so many of us can watch a match but see something completely different. 

I thought he defended poorly and as i said in another thread teams will look to expose him in 1v1 situations. 

His ability to play out from the back is exceptional. He looks to play passes not many other defenders would attempt but defensively he has been found wanting in a couple of games now. 

1 hour ago, Kierzz said:

You say the data suggests we got lucky in previous matches - suppose that's refering to XG comparison....however, you could argue that we have better finishers in our team than most teams we play which would be expected for the quality of our squad.

Agree today we were unlucky as 9 times out of 10 we would have taken one of our chances in the last 30mins which could have easily led to scoring another goal like the Coventry match.

Yep very fair points. But I think it’s good to be impartial here. XG and other data sources are just instruments to use but are never 100% reliable. However, I don’t think it’s unfair to say that we weren’t clinical nor tested the keeper enough today. In fact you could argue that given the wage discrepancies in the division, it’s the story of the season so far. 

It was always going take time to recruit players and gel them together. This is the first real setback, let’s see how Maresca responds. 

• Like 1

One criticism I would have is we don't seem to smell blood. At one moment I think their number 5 pushed on and we nicked the ball while he was on the floor asking for a free kick...yet we didn't attack that flank we went back to the middle and then out to the left. Not helping ourselves.

• Like 1

Said it before and will say it again, bar his two goals early doors KDH has been pretty poor. I would drop him. I would also like to see a plan B where we can be a bit more direct and quicker. Doesn’t mean you abandon the overall process, you just change it up a bit at times in order to wrong foot the opposition. 

Time will tell. We aren’t Man City. We did dominate much of the game today and we didn’t get the breaks. Officials were also shite. However a slightly more flexible tactical approach is no bad thing. 

The thing that worries me is our xG is always so low. Never been above 2 all season and nearly always just over 1.

It’s clears we’ve been pretty lucky in a number of games, we’ve not blown anyone away. We need to start creating more clear cut chances.

Personally think we should be playing

Nacho as a no10 and Vardy no9