Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

I hope from time to time he is prepared to rip up the rule book and go gung ho and direct if it isn't working. Something Brendan couldn't do. We haven't had target man since Ulloa left. Will we pay the price down the line for not having one in a very physically demanding league.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KIRBYFOX93 said:

Other than putting the ball in the net we played well. Enzo made an error with starting ndidi, and yunus. We should of started with casadei and mavididi with yunus to come on. Other than that we would of won that game 9 times out of 10. This is football you win and you lose, but the style is great to watch. If anyone says it isn’t, then you don’t really know what you’re talking about. 

I’ve read plenty of pompous, holier than thou posts on here over the years but your last sentence is different level.

• Like 3

Our wingers are too wide and high up during our build up. The idea is it creates space for the 8s to attack but they’re so isolated they get the ball and have no option but to play it back to LCB Doyle or inverted Ricardo.

Mavididi and Doyle in particular don’t combine well. 

Man City’s system works with Haaland, Grealish, Foden et al but for us we need to play to our strengths - this system doesn’t. 

Vardy and Iheanacho have barely had a sniff. Maresca has to learn quickly.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

It’s very early days so I’m willing to give him time, but I do somewhat agree with the premise. He’s worked under arguably the most tactically astute manager we have ever seen. 

Yet so far we have not beat anyone based on superior tactics. 
Either the tactics aren’t working as they should, or the players can’t play them yet. 
If the players can’t play them yet then we shouldn’t be attempting too until they are ready. 

So far Enzos tactics have largely been completely nullified and individual quality has seen us through. Not sold yet. 

Not sure that's true. Almost every game we won has been a result of Maresca. We're going to tire teams out with crazy amounts of passing and we've seen Cov and Rotherham flake after about 70 minutes. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I think you a being a smite snobbish. 

I'm an advocate for a 442 this season as we have better players than the opposition. Why over complicate, when we'd win anyway?  Why give the opposition.a.chance as we experiment with an entire philosophy.

My core wouldve been JJ at RB, VK left. Souttar (to mitigate our small keeper and defensive worries from set prices) and Faes

Vardy and Kels.in tandem would pull defenses.all over the shop

IMO  we are jeopardising almost certain promotion with a probable one. 

Is this sarcasm? When has Vardy ever worked well with a strike partner? Neither Kels or Vardy should be starting and I expect Cannon to be starting as our sole striker very soon. 

442 is so rigid and inflexible and not something that you really see anymore. You can't high press with that system, you can't pass around teams with it and most managers nowadays will overload the midfield once they see two CMs there. 

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

On a game like today, I don’t think you gain anything from having Pereira inverted.

Whereas if we had traditional full backs, you’d have had them on the overlap. The game was far too congested centrally. 

Being so congested in the centre opens up room on the wings though. McAteer, Mavididi, Yunus and Abdul all had the freedom of Leicestershire at times but the passing was so slow, 6 passes to move it where one quick switch would do. I get the whole slow slow fast fast idea behind these tactics but a few players are just unable to do the fast (Vestergaard, Faes and Dewsbury-Hall the main culprits for carrying the ball far enough to close the pass out wide off)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sbfox said:

Is this sarcasm? When has Vardy ever worked well with a strike partner? Neither Kels or Vardy should be starting and I expect Cannon to be starting as our sole striker very soon. 

442 is so rigid and inflexible and not something that you really see anymore. You can't high press with that system, you can't pass around teams with it and most managers nowadays will overload the midfield once they see two CMs there. 

I’m not saying I agree with 442 or even playing the two of them together, I tend to agree with you re Cannon.

However, 2021 was it, when Barnes was injured and Rodgers had to change to go with 2 up top, Vardy and Iheanacho formed a very productive partnership. Unless my memory has rewritten reality, although we were poor as a side and dropped out the top 4 for the second time, that was more on the defence and Vardy/Nacho were decent together.

59 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

The thing that worries me is our xG is always so low. Never been above 2 all season and nearly always just over 1.

It’s clears we’ve been pretty lucky in a number of games, we’ve not blown anyone away. We need to start creating more clear cut chances.

Personally think we should be playing

Nacho as a no10 and Vardy no9

Personally think we should be playing

Nacho as a no10 and Vardy no 9

# obvious to all

• Like 1

Struggling a bit with the tactics and style of play.

We don’t seem to want to score.

And I don’t think there any excuse tbh. We should be tanking teams every week in this league, there is no excuse not to.

So far it just hasn’t been good enough, but I’ve kept my mouth shut because we’ve been getting the points. Today the landscape has changed. We lost to Hull. Think about that for an minute.

if and when this doesn’t work out, we simply cannot replace the manager with the same criteria that we have appointed previously (puel, Rodgers etc) and need to go with someone who will play high energy, high tempo pressing football with a willingness to play it forward quickly. By this I don’t been hoofball or traditional long ball, but I mean a more direct approach in terms of getting it up the pitch quickly, catching teams out, and exploiting space - this doesn’t have to be done with a long ball over the top as many seem to think when anyone mentions a direct approach. Direct football can be possession orientated to a degree, and can be played across the deck. I really struggle to understand why we don’t do this.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, dooflip said:

And I don’t think there any excuse tbh. We should be tanking teams every week in this league, there is no excuse not to.

So far it just hasn’t been good enough, but I’ve kept my mouth shut because we’ve been getting the points. Today the landscape has changed. We lost to Hull. Think about that for an minute.

if and when this doesn’t work out, we simply cannot replace the manager with the same criteria that we have appointed previously (puel, Rodgers etc) and need to go with someone who will play high energy, high tempo pressing football with a willingness to play it forward quickly. By this I don’t been hoofball or traditional long ball, but I mean a more direct approach in terms of getting it up the pitch quickly, catching teams out, and exploiting space - this doesn’t have to be done with a long ball over the top as many seem to think when anyone mentions a direct approach. Direct football can be possession orientated to a degree, and can be played across the deck. I really struggle to understand why we don’t do this.

But every team that plays us will play a low block. That's a fact. You can't play 'direct' against a low block.

Also don't know why we should be tanking teams? Not only is the gap between the bottom half of the Prem and the Championship smaller than ever, but we're here on merit with the players we have. 

For fun, who would you replace Maresca with? 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dooflip said:

Jeez. The guy has barely even taken his first piss at Seagrave and we’re already talking about if and when this doesn’t work out. 

We were unlucky today, on another day we get all 3 points. Every side is going to drop the occasional points to poorer sides, look around the results all over the pyramid today. 

We have exciting, young attacking players and we’re still working them into the system. We have an international break and there are 41 games left in the season— we haven’t hit our stride yet. 

1 hour ago, An Away Move said:

Did you watch the game?! We could have won this game on a different day. He made three subs in the first 10 minutes and we dominated the second half. 

Sure did every second,True hes not afraid to make the subs but you have ask why Casedi wasnt a starter , why Ricky P was half asleep, why we kept playing through the human totem and master of the 5 yard pass to someone with a man on him and why we didnt change to reduce their easy out ball to the wingers,

Good news Casedi and Abdul look decent and Mavadidi was lively again.No urgency 

Just now, The_77 said:

Jeez. The guy has barely even taken his first piss at Seagrave and we’re already talking about if and when this doesn’t work out. 

We were unlucky today, on another day we get all 3 points. Every side is going to drop the occasional points to poorer sides, look around the results all over the pyramid today. 

We have exciting, young attacking players and we’re still working them into the system. We have an international break and there are 41 games left in the season— we haven’t hit our stride yet. 

Also, last year’s side wouldn’t have made it out of the Championship, we were dreadful. We’re having to improve the squad while rebuilding the side and changing the culture around the first team— Enzo deserves a lot more patience than some are giving him. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sbfox said:

Vardy and Iheanacho had a very good run together in 2021. And I think he did OK with Okazaki. 😜

IMG_6651.jpeg

• Like 2

today was tight, and hull had one break, hit a sweet shot and got the goal, we did the same in the second half and hit the post. I'm not sure why Casadei isn't starting, and i'm not sure why KDH got 90 minutes, but once we iron these things out, it'll hopefully shit the moaners up in the stands, was in B block today and had a few around me

3 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

I did say Doyle is being targeted… and Hull went with their lead striker on the right wing today. 

Hes weak on his right hand side and inner channel. Vestergaard is concerned about Faes and Faes is naturally pulled right cos Pereira goes inverted. We saw that big gap of space appear a couple of times where Doyle had to cover. 

Hull try to be like us but their back four isn’t good enough to pass it out. Can’t believe it took us entire half to realise that 

Just want to say, this is one of the best observations of the game today, well done sir! Delap clearly positioned himself to stand up against him when possible.

Doyle has been good for us, but had a day to forget. Connelly (I think) put him on his backside for one of their counter-attacks too.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ronnup said:

It does pain me, that Ricky P and JJ would be the best full backs in the league,  and we don't use full backs 

We were crying out for something different like an overlapping full back. Ricardo and Justin were brilliant at this a few years ago and in this league it does seem a waste, also makes the wingers job easier as it takes a player away. Why does the process have to be the same every time?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sbfox said:

But every team that plays us will play a low block. That's a fact. You can't play 'direct' against a low block.

Also don't know why we should be tanking teams? Not only is the gap between the bottom half of the Prem and the Championship smaller than ever, but we're here on merit with the players we have. 

For fun, who would you replace Maresca with? 

Bingo.

Technically you can do it, but it doesn't work out too well. I would like to present you exhibit A in the case of "playing direct vs a deep block":

https://www.squawka.com/en/fulham-team-man-united-81-crosses/

• Like 1