Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/callum-doyle-injury-latest-enzo-8775473

Having deputised for Doyle, making his first home appearance for more than 10 months in the process, Justin is the obvious option if the teenager is ruled out. However, Maresca said he is not a direct replacement for Doyle because he is not left-footed.

“When you have a left-footed player there, it’s completely different,” the manager added. “JJ is right-footed. He did fantastic. Unfortunately we don’t have a left-footed central defender if Callum is out. But we’re going to see anyway.”

Maresca would have had a natural left-footed player in reserve had Victor Kristiansen stayed at the club. The manager saw him as a potential deputy to Doyle, but the Dane wanted to continue playing as a traditional left-back, and sealed a loan move to Bologna in Serie A in the final week of the transfer window.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

5 goals conceded in the league so far, one a deflection, one due to a complete brain fart from Doyle, one from a corner, one a 40 yard miracle.

Whatever we're doing defensively it's working.

Bang on. After the defensive woes of the last 2 PL seasons it's nice to be see us in that 'best defence in the league spot'. Earlier on i was of the opinion that the system was holding us back, and we should just going out and trying to cane everyone playing 4-3-3 or even 2 up top. But i'm pretty sure that would have led to some 4-3 scorelines, not always in our favour!

5 goals conceded as you say - can't say fairer than that.

28 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

5 goals conceded in the league so far, one a deflection, one due to a complete brain fart from Doyle, one from a corner, one a 40 yard miracle.

Hull was a deflection as well

2 hours ago, FoxesWalk said:

No so much tactics but methods… has anybody else noticed how happy players look in training since Enzo arrived? Some of the drills looks genuinely fun and the lads clearly really enjoy being there, and look like a group of players that like one another… 

Obviously winning helps, but I recall whispers of how stale training became under Rodgers. That has to grate day to day and effect the group. 

I love how by the time Ndidi goes some of them have sacked off the balls and are just yeeting boots at him lol 

2 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I find it incredible that a young defender like Khristiansen wasn’t even willing to give it a go to being part of this season. At least until January. 

He literally was. However, he was told he would be a deputy to a position unfamiliar to him, so he decided to go on loan to a club in the first division where he would be first choice - more challenging for his development, more gametime, increasing his profile. I would make that choice every time, really don't see what's wrong about it. 

• Like 2

On 24/09/2023 at 15:06, FoxesWalk said:

No so much tactics but methods… has anybody else noticed how happy players look in training since Enzo arrived? Some of the drills looks genuinely fun and the lads clearly really enjoy being there, and look like a group of players that like one another… 

Obviously winning helps, but I recall whispers of how stale training became under Rodgers. That has to grate day to day and effect the group. 

If there is any consolidation to relegation, being in the Championship gives us more room to test new things out including a new manager and new tactics. It is like giving ourselves one whole year as a preseason to train for the start of the Premier League next year (if we win promotion of course). 

• Like 1

On 24/09/2023 at 17:17, Sol thewall Bamba said:

We need to adjust for this by the fact that we are in the Championship where we are not punished as much with our mistakes. This is training for us, in a way. I have to say though the way we are defending set pieces seems to be better - last year, even if we are playing in the Cup, you feel nervous about conceding. This year we are much better, but Liverpool coming up will give us a good test to see where we are although we are only 8 games into the season.

Make no mistake regardless of the division we find ourselves in, our defensive structure since the early games this season, especially Cov is like comparing night and day and as for last season it is completely unrecognisable. 

The work rate out of possession is unreal and it is relentless, on Saturday the amount of times we won the ball back within seconds of Bristol City being in possession was staggering. 

Whilst Enzo seems to work far hard on our in possession patterns of play it is also clear that plenty of work also goes into how we structure ourselves out of possession too. We are becoming an absolute joy to watch but horrible to play against and that is beautiful. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LFox99 said:

When did we start twisting the narrative around Kristiansen?

He was the first player to come out after last season and say that he wants to stay and help us fight our way back to the prem. None of the other players in our squad did that.

He's 19 years old, he was going to be 3rd choice behind Doyle and JJ, that's not nearly enough minutes for him at that stage of his career. So can we please stop acting like it's Kristiansen who's done us wrong here

Twisting the narrative ? It’s literally three or four post above that he considered the move to Bologna because of the position change. Why is it immediately a criticism to say I thought he would’ve taken the challenge here rather than at Bologna. You know the challenge to play a system mastered by the best in the country and him being young enough to develop in both left back and centre back.  I don’t understand what you’ve taken so badly on behalf of Victor ? 

Guest Col city fan
On 24/09/2023 at 10:17, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I did say after about the second game, that Enzo is making us hard to beat.

We aren’t particularly exciting to watch, but that’s clearly not the game plan.

We look to be solid, well organised and regimented, with the aim being to grind sides down and for our depth of squad and quality to get the win.

Watching the Brizzle game, I said to my mate that we’d score around 60/70 mins in and that would be that.

Having had too long of being open at the back, Ward, Amartey, Thomas etc it is SO refreshing to see a defensive shape that knows what it is doing.

If we win the league, it’ll be down to few goals conceded, rather than lots of goals scored.

Brian Clough: any successful side is built on a good defence, in fact success in life is built on having strong foundations.

It looks like we have that this season at City.

(Ignore the Liverpool game, where we’ll likely get hammered btw).

Edited by Col city fan

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I did say after about the second game, that Enzo is making us hard to beat.

We aren’t particularly exciting to watch, but that’s clearly not the game plan.

We look to be solid, well organised and regimented, with the aim being to grind sides down and for our depth of squad and quality to get the win.

Watching the Brizzle game, I said to my mate that we’d score around 60/70 mins in and that would be that.

Having had too long of being open at the back, Ward, Amartey, Thomas etc it is SO refreshing to see a defensive shape that knows what it is doing.

If we win the league, it’ll be down to few goals conceded, rather than lots of goals scored.

Brian Clough: any successful side is built on a good defence, in fact success in life is built on having strong foundations.

It looks like we have that this season at City.

(Ignore the Liverpool game, where we’ll likely get hammered btw).

I think it IS exciting to watch. The control. The intent. The speed of movement. 

I’m row C for Stoke which my son wanted, but being in GG for Bristol City gave a really good view of the system as a whole. Wonder if it’ll feel as exciting to watch when in a different vantage point. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dames said:

Despite how well the past few games have gone my concerns from earlier in the season have been realised when he bombed all our full backs out and has left us with very little cover.

It will be interesting to see how he adapts now. 

Sure he would have rather kept Kristiansen

• Like 1