Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

On 26/09/2023 at 01:18, LFox99 said:

A few of those moves are ending up with a low percentage ball (lofted cross) though. In those cases, I'd argue the build-up play is rather pointless.

With positive glasses on, I suppose variety will give a split second more time & space as defenses will have to be reactive.

7 minutes ago, shen said:

A few of those moves are ending up with a low percentage ball (lofted cross) though. In those cases, I'd argue the build-up play is rather pointless.

With positive glasses on, I suppose variety will give a split second more time & space as defenses will have to be reactive.

I think the variety is important - I was pleased to see Hermansen ping it over the top last weekend, too.

Not that it's the bread and butter of our style, but it gives the opposition something else to think about.

We've scored a couple of headers, KDH and Kasey Mac come to mind, and Vardy should arguably have buried one on Wednesday.

If we're mixing it up 20% of the time I'm OK with a few low percentage balls, as long as we're creating plenty.

7 hours ago, Ashley said:

I'd argue we are exciting to watch. 

We're dominating games some off the passing and movements have been silly good. We're still not the finished article either. 

Give me this type of football any day of the week. 

Suppose it's all on preference but I love it, it'll get better and better too. 

The performance on Saturday was about as dominant a game as I've ever seen. Some of the passing was brilliant and winning the ball back, and defending from the front was unbelievable. I'd hate to be playing against us.

Intrigued by tonight.

I've seen some subtle tweaks from Enzo when we've been put under pressure but nothing massively significant in terms of a system change.

Towards the end against Cardiff when they were battering us and it looked like we were going to have to cling on for a draw, he told Ricardo to sit as a regular right back to give us a more rigid back four, mainly to help Faes who was blowing out of his arse at that point.

Part of me actually wants to see us being confident in our plan against any side, no matter the level, BUT with the idea that we might well be a flat 4 quite a lot this evening. 

The big difference we will notice this year from Liverpool is they have the midfield they've been craving now, even the back up version (Endo, Gravenberch and Elliot) is strong and will likely see a lot less opportunities to exploit the middle of the pitch as we have done in the league this season.

On 26/09/2023 at 00:18, LFox99 said:

The first passage of play in that clip highlights the biggest improvement I've observed in recent games, our ability to sustain attacks. The first cross in makes a chance, but is defended, but we keep the ball with Fatawu who recycles it inside their box to keep us on the ball and make another chance. There were times against Bristol where we had them under sustained pressure, and that was always going to lead to a goal. Against Hull we played through the lines well, but could not sustain our attacks.

The way we are playing, someone is going to get a big tonking sooner rather than later. 

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

The first passage of play in that clip highlights the biggest improvement I've observed in recent games, our ability to sustain attacks. The first cross in makes a chance, but is defended, but we keep the ball with Fatawu who recycles it inside their box to keep us on the ball and make another chance. There were times against Bristol where we had them under sustained pressure, and that was always going to lead to a goal. Against Hull we played through the lines well, but could not sustain our attacks.

The way we are playing, someone is going to get a big tonking sooner rather than later. 

I suspect that any tonking will occur away from home as, if the first 4 home matches are a yardstick, almost all teams will set up with the same low block, parked bus, spoiling, frustrating tactics resulting in low scoring wins (with the occasional loss/draw if they get lucky and with a sympathetic ref). 

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Intrigued by tonight.

I've seen some subtle tweaks from Enzo when we've been put under pressure but nothing massively significant in terms of a system change.

Towards the end against Cardiff when they were battering us and it looked like we were going to have to cling on for a draw, he told Ricardo to sit as a regular right back to give us a more rigid back four, mainly to help Faes who was blowing out of his arse at that point.

Part of me actually wants to see us being confident in our plan against any side, no matter the level, BUT with the idea that we might well be a flat 4 quite a lot this evening. 

The big difference we will notice this year from Liverpool is they have the midfield they've been craving now, even the back up version (Endo, Gravenberch and Elliot) is strong and will likely see a lot less opportunities to exploit the middle of the pitch as we have done in the league this season.

Assuming we're going there with the idea of winning I could see it being like the second halves vs Norwich and Southampton. We look to sit in and let them have the ball, but when we do win the ball back and are able to do so, we'll spring forward at pace and look to hit them on the counter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spudulike said:

And you can still hear an angry voice shouting FORWARD!!! 

I noticed that and, not surprisingly, it was after Justin ignored the ocean of space in front of him - the lad still really doesn't have any confidence - I think this is what we'll miss most about Doyle - Doyle would have attacked that space.

1 minute ago, Drink Water said:

Waiting for the inevitable @StriderHiryu post :D

I will do a small one tomorrow.

There's seriously too many games to follow!

Next international break I will do a summary of the season so far, looking back at preseason up until this point. I think this stat shows progress in the team, though TBH 2.36 seems pretty low for Liverpool!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I will do a small one tomorrow.

There's seriously too many games to follow!

Next international break I will do a summary of the season so far, looking back at preseason up until this point. I think this stat shows progress in the team, though TBH 2.36 seems pretty low for Liverpool!

well, they had three cleared off the line, but the second and third goals would have registered very low

Just now, WigstonWanderer said:

Do we have to play Russian Roulette at the back quite so much, regardless of the opposition? I’m not sure if it was responsible for any of their goals, but we were getting caught out over and over again, and still persisted, often losing possession before making it to the halfway line.

Whilst we embed the system I think yes we should, I understand it was terrifying at times, but we have to learn to play this system under varying degrees of pressure/opponent.

15 minutes ago, Bablemikey said:

Why is Liverpools press so effective against us and why are our championship opponents seemingly unable to do it?

Because they are PL quality with PL quality coaching I assume   :dunno:

I noted yesterday that what I was listening to commented on hoe under appreciated the jump in fitness is once you to PL level, so maybe this to?

54 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Because they are PL quality with PL quality coaching I assume   :dunno:

I noted yesterday that what I was listening to commented on hoe under appreciated the jump in fitness is once you to PL level, so maybe this to?

Difference between Liverpool and the likes of Luton / Sheffield United, I would say our fitness is on par if not better than the majority of teams in the bottom half of the prem, we Aren’t going to be playing the likes of Liverpool , Manchester City every week when we get promoted.

Edited by Happy Fox
  • Like 1

If we played that same team in the Championship and the opposition backed themselves instead of sitting deep, they would likely be able to win the ball back just as often. The main difference would be that they wouldn't have the quality to consistently make use of winning it back so we would likely get the ball back.

Remember we let Coventry run through us for fun and were probably fortunate not to ship 4 or 5 that game.