Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Stephy Mavididi

1 minute ago, lcfcsnow said:

Just feels to me like our transfer strategy hasn't changed since relegation, we're still looking to bring in players with european experience even though we're long past that at the moment. Coady, Winks, Hermansen, Mavididi they all match playing in Europe in recent seasons. This was part of our downfall, it started with Perez and Praet and we've not really drifted from that type of player since.

I dont really see any correlation between the players you're naming. 

What do you think connects them and what sort of player would you rather we target? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I dont really see any correlation between the players you're naming. 

What do you think connects them and what sort of player would you rather we target? 

Apart from Hermansen they are all safe transfers. But these are mostly players that have reached their limit, then we come along and offer them a lucrative deal which has them set until they are 30.

We need younger, positive players on the up, players that have yet to reach a ceiling. Proper replacements for Maddison, Barnes, Tielemans and preferably Vardy.

15 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

So, Kristiansen, Faes, Daka, Soumaré, JJ, Souttar and we just tried to sign Doyle permanently? 

All since Perez and Praet, no? 

Winks and Coady I can understand, we need some leadership and the spine of the team has been missing for at least two years. But out of that list, JJ was the only one that's impressed here. The rest were all players who had played in Europa league or the World Cup and didn't even fit into how we play.

It's like there is no plan, just match a few boxes like pace and finishing, thats enough for a Vardy replacement get him in. Can't control the ball, has no technical ability so let's try him on the wing where those are crucial. 🤦 We can't defend corners, get a big bloke in who recently impressed at the World Cup, but then don't play him because he's slow and nowhere near PL standard. But if we'd watched him at Stoke we'd have known that, if we have then what's going on? Soumare, we needed a player who can receive the ball from defence better than Ndidi, he can do that but the rest of his game lol and yet we persisted with those performances for two years. It's unbelievable and I'm just fed up with our inability to sort the mess out.

I mean we've not even replaced or really tried to get a right winger in for five years so what hope is there to get both sides sorted in this window.

13 minutes ago, 3 titles in 7 years said:

When we going to sign someone who knows how to get out of this division, other than a CB?

I don’t think it matters all that much. How many of our 13/14 squad had got promoted from the championship previously? How many Luton town, Brentford, Brighton etc players had during their promotion seasons?

26 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Just feels to me like our transfer strategy hasn't changed since relegation, we're still looking to bring in players with european experience even though we're long past that at the moment. Coady, Winks, Hermansen, Mavididi they all match playing in Europe in recent seasons. This was part of our downfall, it started with Perez and Praet and we've not really drifted from that type of player since.

...we are rumoured to be looking at a few players who are very much developed in the UK!!!

Piroe

Ryan Giles

Cole Palmer

Cesare Casadei

Amad Diallo

Oscar Bobb

Carlos Borges

Jesurun Rak-Sakyi

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But claiming these players were just signed for European experience or off the back of world cups is just objectively wrong and frankly silly. 

Fair enough, I'm not keep going on about it but I do think we're looking in the wrong place for players. Our best players over the past 10 years were lesser known brought in from elsewhere or came through the youth team all of whom didn't yet have that experience, but aspired to be someone who reached those heights and they improved with us (improving us as a result).

11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we are rumoured to be looking at a few players who are very much developed in the UK!!!

Piroe

Ryan Giles

Cole Palmer

Cesare Casadei

Amad Diallo

Oscar Bobb

Carlos Borges

Jesurun Rak-Sakyi

Those are what I'm talking about, but I doubt the rumours are true. We really need at least a few of those types of player to make a difference though with the exception of Piroe who I'm not convinced of (we need wide players not more central players). I'm sure there are similar types abroad as well, who would be more likely to come here as they won't be at a high profile PL club.

3 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Those are what I'm talking about, we need that type of player to make a difference with the exception of Piroe who I'm not convinced of. I'm sure there are similar types abroad as well, who would be more likely to come here as they won't be at a high profile PL club.

I think Mavidid falls squarely into this category and the type of player we have historically signed and had kick on. 

He’s only just turned 25 and grew up through the Arsenal youth ranks but then decided to try his arm abroad in Italy and now France. He’ broke through in an ok Montpellier team and has done well in ligue 1 but got injured but is now back. His attributes tick a lot of boxes on what we need, fast, direct, eye for goal, sbows good aggression and willing. 

Based on your parameters we would never have signed Albrighton because he was too old or hadn’t done it, same with Simpson who was a middling RB. Not every signing can be Mahrez or Kante (who seem to be your yardsticks). 

This guy is a clear fit, brings what Barnes brought and is affordable and looks like a fit for our playing style and the league we’re now in 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Fees have crept up and up and up and it's gotten harder for us to identify and find unknown talent. I'll be very surprised if Brighton and Brentford don't start to feel the same squeeze once their reputation for good business grows. You become a victim of your own success. 

Brighton, one example they signed Buonanotte for £5.3 million, he was already an Argentina U20 international and not exactly unknown but we're going to spend similar on this guy who has nowhere near the same amount of ability or potential. Where's the ambition or our scouts? The lack of it has got us in this mess and a big reason for that is not signing a decent forward for 7/8 years, and its no surprise when we don't look outside the box.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Fees have crept up and up and up and it's gotten harder for us to identify and find unknown talent. I'll be very surprised if Brighton and Brentford don't start to feel the same squeeze once their reputation for good business grows. You become a victim of your own success. 

Really great points in your post, also worth taking into account how prices for even average players increased when we started receiving big fees (Maguire, Chillwell, Fofana to name 3). Brighton in particular will begin to see that. 

55 minutes ago, 3 titles in 7 years said:

When we going to sign someone who knows how to get out of this division, other than a CB?

Burnley have just experienced one of the biggest cake walks in championship history. They had 1… at most 2 seasoned championship pros in their side most weeks. 

As I’ve said before the only thing these sort of comments give away is someone’s age lol 

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If it works out and we get back to the Prem and settle down in to consistent safety, then we can afford to take a few risks on talented teenagers.

But we won't, even when qualifying for Europe we never brought in anyone like that. Anyway, I hope he's good.