Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Callum Doyle Signs

Makes a point of saying how he improved working under Maresca, shows what a top coach he is, if we give him time I think he will improve the club, not just players individually but also the whole club as a collective, the level of professionalism and I think we we will see a change in how the academy is run as well. Exciting times 

10 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Also we will be limited in what we can spend so maybe the club feel at this stage a loan for Doyle and perhaps enabling us to invest elsewhere in players like Piroe is a better use of the budget. 

Evidently the loan fee is only 500k so a loan is way more beneficial re ffp than a purchase. The opposite for Man City but they’ll cope without £10m of income this summer. 
Not sure that putting it out there that we still have ffp issues when we’re trying to negotiate a fee for Barnes is the most intelligent leak. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Oh, Fuch off!  - looking for evidence! get off your high horse - i never said the figures were 100% reliable, just offering some figures from a website considered to be pretty reliable (or at least that regularly tallies with figures journalist quote regarding salaries) seeing as the OP didn't bother to provide a source for his own figures. i've no idea what "truth" your talking about, but if even this guys figures are "the truth", they're still out of date and don't reflect our current situation, so regardless, neither of us truly know what the current financial situation is at the club - or, "the truth".  

All we can go on is the club's published accounts , they have to be correct by law.

43 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

All we can go on is the club's published accounts , they have to be correct by law.

they do but I reckon it’s very rare to have accurate accounts filed by companies. There are many different ways around a circle …..

Life is about shades of grey rather than black or white 

If we go up, he's the sort of player we should be prioritising getting permanently. I'm worried that we'll do what Forest did - win promotion and not bother to pursue keeping the players that got us up, then end up spending that money on a bunch of has-beens and mercenaries with the chance of Prem survival being left to the football gods. I'm getting Djed Spence and Phillip Zinckernagel vibes.

Obviously anything could happen, he could stink the place out, but he comes with a good reputation and a hefty dose of salt from Cov fans. That's enough for me to know he could be an absolute baller in the right system. :P

Edited by OntarioFox

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

they do but I reckon it’s very rare to have accurate accounts filed by companies. There are many different ways around a circle …..

Life is about shades of grey rather than black or white 

Great movie.

29 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

If we go up, he's the sort of player we should be prioritising getting permanently. I'm worried that we'll do what Forest did - win promotion and not bother to pursue keeping the players that got us up, then end up spending that money on a bunch of has-beens and mercenaries with the chance of Prem survival being left to the football gods. I'm getting Djed Spence and Phillip Zinckernagel vibes.

Obviously anything could happen, he could stink the place out, but he comes with a good reputation and a hefty dose of salt from Cov fans. That's enough for me to know he could be an absolute baller in the right system. :P

There is nothing to suggest that would be the case, I'm sure we will try to make it permanent if we go up

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

There is nothing to suggest that would be the case, I'm sure we will try to make it permanent if we go up

I hope so! It's part of why being able to rebuild in the second tier is a blessing in disguise. The caliber of player we're looking at is exactly what I want to see - young, hungry players and more seasoned pros with a point to prove. Still a lot of work to do and talent gaps to fill, but I already have a good feeling about the change in mood in the camp. Honestly speaking, I have my doubts we'll go straight back up, but when we do I hope it's with a squad with the hunger (and momentum) needed to survive. We must never again see a squad as mentally pathetic as the one we're currently having to dismantle.

It's not just us who have spent the past few years signing gash who think they're better than they really are and won't put in the hard yards - it's endemic in the lower reaches of the Prem, which is why a lot of our more naive fans managed to play mental gymnastics and convince themselves we were "too good" to go down until we had the big fat R next to our name on the final day. What we need is to build a team that plays for the shirt - something systematically destroyed in the past few years under Rodgers but for which the problems stem back as far as the season after the title. The warning signs were there with the signings of the likes of Slimani and Musa, both completely ill-fitted to the team and probably just there for the fat pay packet and one-off Champions League campaign, and with the exception of a few gems (Ndidi, Maddison, Tielemans) it's been our story ever since. I think it's a sad reality that if you find yourself bottom-feeding in the top division, you're going to attract a bracket of player there for the payday and to be able to put "Premier League player" on their CV, without really meriting it - and that's what we've been signing for the most part for half a decade now, if not longer.

With that in mind, and knowing that the last time we had a team to be proud of it had a sizeable number of players we signed in the second tier, I hope we have the sense to follow that blueprint again. At the minute, it's green shoots, but we'll see. We might lose to Northampton today and spiral down to League One. lol

Edited by OntarioFox

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Evidently the loan fee is only 500k so a loan is way more beneficial re ffp than a purchase. The opposite for Man City but they’ll cope without £10m of income this summer. 
Not sure that putting it out there that we still have ffp issues when we’re trying to negotiate a fee for Barnes is the most intelligent leak. 

If he has an impressive season with us, Man City will likely get more than £10m for him. This is probably (on risk) a better option for Man City. 

No doubt we’re likely the safest bet for him. Likely to have a good season (hopefully) and him playing under Maresca who Man City regard highly. 

12 hours ago, Dames said:

Centre back fc at the minute. No doubt the lad is a good addition but we are desperate for some creative players. We’ve currently got at least 6 cbs in or around the first team atm. 

There was a time after Morgan & Huth,we couldn’t sign a CB for love or money..

Like London busses,you never see one for ages,then they all come immediately after one another just like a bloody convoy…

Cant wait to see who the manager,wants to keep & how he utilises them..

16 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

The sales that we've made dwarf the only big sale that Villa have made (Grealish for £100m):

Maguire (85)

Fofana (72)

Mahrez (60)

Chilwell (45)

Maddison (40)

Drinkwater (35)

Kanté (32)

That's almost £400m!!

But I think Villa probably still have some headroom when it comes to wages as they've only been back up for 4 years. The longer they're in the PL, however, the more their wage bill will increase, especially if they continue to challenge for Europe. Consequently, it won't be long before they hit the same glass ceiling that we did. 

Very true, plus with us winning the league and fa cup this meant players ended up getting big wage increases and extensions. It is tough to keep challenging at the top when you are a club like ours 

• 2 weeks later...