Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Callum Doyle Signs

6 minutes ago, The_Rorab said:

I've got to admit if we're baulking at a 10mill pricetag due to FFP concerns then I have real concern about this rebuild.

Not to be a downer, I think this is a good player to bring in, but definitely some worries there about our direction this summer.

I don’t really buy that 

the loan fee must be similar to the ffp cost of 10m for one year (£2m). I suppose the risk is that we don’t go up and he struggles or gets a bad injury. Then we’ve got another £2m to cover in year 2. 

i reckon it’s more likely  that the issue would be Man City’s terms on a buy back, sell on etc 

I reckon if we go up and he’s done really well then we try and buy him next summer and will maybe take a different view on the buy back terms etc 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yet Villa are spending money like it’s going out of fashion, or Everton (until this summer), or to the extreme, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

The difference, now, they’re Premier League clubs, we’re not, but when we were we still acted like paupers, for years.

All I get (despite the other examples) is, “yeah but Villa sold Grealish” how many high price sales have we made?!

Not that bothered (although the above may come across as abit of a rant by my own admission - we’ve all had a drink), just abit sick of the FFP excuse being trotted out and us seemingly running scared while other clubs keep throwing the dosh about. It’s bullshit.

Anyway, Welcome Callum.

The sales that we've made dwarf the only big sale that Villa have made (Grealish for £100m):

Maguire (85)

Fofana (72)

Mahrez (60)

Chilwell (45)

Maddison (40)

Drinkwater (35)

Kanté (32)

That's almost £400m!!

But I think Villa probably still have some headroom when it comes to wages as they've only been back up for 4 years. The longer they're in the PL, however, the more their wage bill will increase, especially if they continue to challenge for Europe. Consequently, it won't be long before they hit the same glass ceiling that we did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The_Rorab said:

I've got to admit if we're baulking at a 10mill pricetag due to FFP concerns then I have real concern about this rebuild.

Not to be a downer, I think this is a good player to bring in, but definitely some worries there about our direction this summer.

Not wanting to dispute what Tanner says, but a few things can question this.

1) if Man City were definitely willing to sell him permanently for £10m or loan him to us with no obligation, then agreeing to a loan that turns in to a £10m permanent move either next summer or when we sell Castagne and Barnes then they're no worse off for doing so.

2) if we are that close to breaching FFP, why are we trying to sign Piroe who'll cost £15m +, Hermansen who we have offered £5-6m for and still require 3 midfielders and wingers. I presume Barnes going pays for all of this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The_Rorab said:

We probably need another 8 players, 5+ at least 3 more will go. Its another number through the door I get it.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Not wanting to dispute what Tanner says, but a few things can question this.

1) if Man City were definitely willing to sell him permanently for £10m or loan him to us with no obligation, then agreeing to a loan that turns in to a £10m permanent move either next summer or when we sell Castagne and Barnes then they're no worse off for doing so.

2) if we are that close to breaching FFP, why are we trying to sign Piroe who'll cost £15m +, Hermansen who we have offered £5-6m for and still require 3 midfielders and wingers. I presume Barnes going pays for all of this.

We do need to get rid of a few more players. The fact we could play two XIs vs Peterborough with that much depth is something no other Championship side could do, and maybe some PL sides too - the squad is too big for our income. 

I wonder if there is a fixed budget based on the small chance of Barnes not going, and the decision to buy a keeper rather than loan Steffen changed this deal.

So at the moment, it’s Piroe, Goalkeeper and other loans only that we go after.

But if Barnes goes and or we get rid of the fringe players, then they look at more permanent signings. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yet Villa are spending money like it’s going out of fashion, or Everton (until this summer), or to the extreme, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

The difference, now, is that they’re Premier League clubs, we’re not, but even when we were we still acted like paupers, for years, in comparison.

All I get (despite the other examples) is, “yeah but Villa sold Grealish” how many high price sales have we made?!

Not that bothered (although the above may come across as abit of a rant by my own admission - we’ve all had a drink), just abit sick of the FFP excuse being trotted out and us seemingly running scared while other clubs keep throwing the dosh about. It’s bullshit.

Anyway, Welcome Callum.

How can you “have concerns” about FFP ? Surely you’re either compliant or you’re not , this club FFS, . get someone in who can design a strategy working within a budget which won’t get us a points deduction  . All this f*****g about last close season gave BR the perfect alibi for relegating a club that should never have been in trouble 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

The sales that we've made dwarf the only big sale that Villa have made (Grealish for £100m):

Maguire (85)

Fofana (72)

Mahrez (60)

Chilwell (45)

Maddison (40)

Drinkwater (35)

Kanté (32)

That's almost £400m!!

But I think Villa probably still have some headroom when it comes to wages as they've only been back up for 4 years. The longer they're in the PL, however, the more their wage bill will increase, especially if they continue to challenge for Europe. Consequently, it won't be long before they hit the same glass ceiling that we did. 

That's a fair rationale in your last point and the best reasoning anyone i've come across has explained although respectfully i think they'd be on a par or surpassed what we pay(ed) so not sure I agree.

As for our sales. Exactly.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Just speculating, but perhaps the issue isn't the asked £10m for Doyle, but the budget for all of our other targets. It's expected that we want to make another 4 signings at least, and if the offer to sign Doyle on a short term loan is there in a deal that would save us ~£8m now, then it would make sense to take that offer now and have a higher budget for the remaining signings.

I suspect that blaming FFP for every budget related decision is becoming a very easy way for journalists to explain  nuanced situations with an acronym that most don't question further. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Verumex said:

Perhaps a bad example when we lost that game :ph34r:

Maybe, but performances are more important at this stage than results and will take time for the players to adjust to a new style. Doesn’t take away from the point that the squad is still way too big for this league especially and needs trimming. 

Guest Kopfkino

Absolutely wild that people still can’t wrap their heads around our financial constraints.

We were spending over 180m on wages in the last set of accounts. It probably stayed reasonably stable last year. We had to then pay off a manager with a significant fee. Our income dropped substantially last year, let alone the coming year

People bang on about Villa, we were spending nearly 50m quid more on wages than them in the last set of accounts. Learn to read financial statements, check the rules and it becomes quite easy to grasp. 

Btw Villa will start to come up with the same problems eventually, just like us, Everton and Wolves before them unless they can create that conveyor belt.

11 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Maybe, but performances are more important at this stage than results and will take time for the players to adjust to a new style. Doesn’t take away from the point that the squad is still way too big for this league especially and needs trimming. 

I know, I completely agree, just making a cheap joke haha

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Maguire (85)

Fofana (72)

Mahrez (60)

Chilwell (45)

Maddison (40)

Drinkwater (35)

Kanté (32)

That's almost £400m!!

villas lowest earner wouldn’t be sat there on 60k pw. That’s where we went wrong 

33 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I don’t really buy that 

the loan fee must be similar to the ffp cost of 10m for one year (£2m). I suppose the risk is that we don’t go up and he struggles or gets a bad injury. Then we’ve got another £2m to cover in year 2. 

i reckon it’s more likely  that the issue would be Man City’s terms on a buy back, sell on etc 

I reckon if we go up and he’s done really well then we try and buy him next summer and will maybe take a different view on the buy back terms etc 

Also we will be limited in what we can spend so maybe the club feel at this stage a loan for Doyle and perhaps enabling us to invest elsewhere in players like Piroe is a better use of the budget. 

3 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

villas lowest earner wouldn’t be sat there on 60k pw. That’s where we went wrong 

Give it 4 or 5 years and they will be. It's what happens to PL squads over time. Clubs in Europe can't afford to match the wages of PL squad players so clubs end up stuck with them.

10 minutes ago, brookfox said:

So we’ve replaced an injured Evans and Amartey with Coady and Doyle (who sound like a cop show!). Time will tell but looks like a bloody good deal.

Pictured.. 

Coady, Doyle, Evans. 

Screenshot_20230714_214557_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox_edit_134098544506620.jpg

Edited by weller54