Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Northampton Pre Season Friendly Match Thread

Just now, whoareyaaa said:

Faes has not put a foot wrong, his been solid.

I'm surprised anyone would be surprised. He's an international level centre half for a top 10 level international team. He was outstanding in Ligue 1 and performed.outstandingly in the PL on 8 or 9 occasions last season. 

This is a CV way way beyond the championship. I fully expect him.to.leave though and will be really sorry to see him go

• Like 2

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

Going to talk about structure and team shape stuff. I will put something in the Tactics thread later with some images too.

- Playing Pep's 433 / 3421 system with an inverted fullback, which is Riccy P.

- Doyle starts at LB but actually plays as a LCB.

- Riccy starts as RB but actually plays a CDM, sometimes he goes forwards even more to make another 8.

- Passing is all about round the corner and quick vertical transitions, something that we did not do under Puel and Rodgers.

- Basic idea is to lure players in and then exploit the half-spaces they leave in behind them.

- In general, passing is short and crisp, but Coady has the licence to go long.

- Attacks start with Coady, who is the director from the back.

- Winks is the "bounce pass" option, used to get out of trouble and play people in when half spaces appear. Try to imagine Ndidi do what Winks did in that first half lol

- We use the inverted fullback to give us one man advantage in midfield, but also setup passing triangles so players always have two options to pass to at any time.

- We play a lot into midfield to compress the game and draw the opposition out of their shape.

- When the time is right we go for the diagonal switch via Coady to find a totally unmarked player.

- The keeper steps up a LOT sometimes in parallel to the back 3 to make an extra option. We use him to generate a one-man advantage and play around the opposition press. That's why we need a keeper who first and foremost can play with his feet.

All this stuff is already working. It needs refinement and tweaking, but it's there for all to see.

What we are lacking is up front. Pep creates underlaps and overlaps to create a lot of cut-back opportunities. We did see some of this, Wanya also had the option to drive in and shoot on one occasion too. This looks a bit crap right now, but hey when Man City do it they have Riyad Mahrez and co, not a player that hasn't played in the first-team and a converted wing-back. 

Wingers are what we need to complete the puzzle. Players who are fast, can beat a man via dribbling, work hard off the ball and can finish.

Borges would be ideal if we can bring him in. I imagine Maresca will be pushing the club to bid for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Agreed! But I think it will come. I don't think we will start the season with a front 3 of Vardy, Wanya and Castagne, and yet that's how we started today.

More of a Pep 3241 for me?

I like the options we have at the back with Souttar & JJ to compete with the three on show. Faes alas still looks a bomb scare and as others have said it might be a position that suits JJ best?

Winks has been excellent & Ricardo good & looking fit. Like Elliot though I do worry about the lack of physicality here. Even Man C have Rodri!

It’s the ‘4’ that worries me. Ideally I’d like to see all of them upgraded by the end of the window. KDH still looks a non-footballer & Praet’s not done anywhere near enough. The two wide players though are the real weakness. Could Ricardo play the wide right role better than Timmy?

But it’s all about patterns at this stage & like you @StriderHiryu I like what I see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Going to talk about structure and team shape stuff. I will put something in the Tactics thread later with some images too.

- Riccy starts as RB but actually plays a CDM, sometimes he goes forwards even more to make another 8.

- Passing is all about round the corner and quick vertical transitions, something that we did not do under Puel and Rodgers.

- Basic idea is to lure players in and then exploit the half-spaces they leave in behind them.

- In general, passing is short and crisp, but Coady has the licence to go long. He's the only one (and the keeper) that have that option.

- Winks is the "bounce pass" option, used to get out of trouble and play people in when half spaces appear. Try to imagine Ndidi do what Winks did in that first half lol. That's why we signed him.

- We use the inverted fullback to give us one man advantage in midfield, but also setup passing triangles so players always have two options to pass to at any time.

- We play a lot into midfield to compress the game and draw the opposition out of their shape.

- When the time is right we go for the diagonal switch via Coady to find a totally unmarked player.

- The keeper steps up a LOT sometimes in parallel to the back 3 to make an extra option. We use him to generate a one-man advantage and play around the opposition press. That's why we need a keeper who first and foremost can play with his feet.

All this stuff is already working. It needs refinement and tweaking, but it's there for all to see.

What we are lacking is up front. Pep creates underlaps and overlaps to create a lot of cut-back opportunities. We did see some of this, Wanya also had the option to drive in and shoot on one occasion too. This looks a bit crap right now, but hey when Man City do it they have Riyad Mahrez and co, not a player that hasn't played in the first-team and a converted wing-back. 

Wingers are what we need to complete the puzzle. Players who are fast, can beat a man via dribbling, work hard off the ball and can finish.

Will say I’m loving the vertical passing. So much nicer to watch than lateral passing and wing play.

Edited by Beechey
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

Id be surprised if Ricardo still with us at the start of the season? and a few others ?

If this game has shown me anything, it's that Ricardo isn't going anywhere. He is integral to this entire system, and there's no way Enzo let's him be sold. Add on to that the amount of attention our social media has been giving him, and I think it's already been decided that Ricardo is staying put.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

- In general, passing is short and crisp, but Coady has the licence to go long. He's the only one (and the keeper) that have that option.

- Winks is the "bounce pass" option, used to get out of trouble and play people in when half spaces appear. Try to imagine Ndidi do what Winks did in that first half lol. That's why we signed him.

Was typing mine as you posted that! fully agree!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I love your analysis and enthusiasm. However, I'm gonna wager that, amongst others, Neil Warnock will have a way of deconstructing our patterns of play. 

I think it was Arsene Wenger who said that football was easy ...but that hard part is that it is easy for the opponent too

3 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Borges would be ideal if we can bring him in. I imagine Maresca will be pushing the club to bid for him.

Totally agree!

2 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

More of a Pep 3241 for me?

You say Potato, I say Potatto! Yes it's a 3241 in attack, but that's still a front 3, as in there are 3 players at the top of the pitch!

2 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Will say I’m loving the vertical passing. So much nicer to watch than lateral passing and wing play.

It makes ALL the difference! :scarf:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

If casadei comes in and replaces praet.

I'm not sure where piroe would fit. Id rather we sign two quality wingers who will help give us that creativity and 

Perfect in the role Wanya is playing. He roams a lot for Swansea and is the late arrival in the box if you watch his highlight reel. Left footed too. 

• Like 1

Just now, Paninistickers said:

I love your analysis and enthusiasm. However, I'm gonna wager that, amongst others, Neil Warnock will have a way of deconstructing our patterns of play. 

I think it was Arsene Wenger who said that football was easy ...but that hard part is that it is easy for the opponent too

Sean Dyche lost on AVERAGE 5-0 to Man City. Roy Hodgson was Pep's kryptonite for some reason... usually because they had fast wingers and played on the counter.

But point understood, yet some of the wily old foxes may well land a surprise blow. It's a 46 game season, so we will lose some games for sure.

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

He is both technically a great player, but also very intelligent. When fit is there a better player in this division? Not for me.

He's definitely up there! 

If we manage to keep him at the club for this season, and also keep him fit, we're in for a treat.

• Like 1