Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Northampton Pre Season Friendly Match Thread

20 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Going to talk about structure and team shape stuff. I will put something in the Tactics thread later with some images too.

- Playing Pep's 433 / 3421 system with an inverted fullback, which is Riccy P.

- Doyle starts at LB but actually plays as a LCB.

- Riccy starts as RB but actually plays a CDM, sometimes he goes forwards even more to make another 8.

- Passing is all about round the corner and quick vertical transitions, something that we did not do under Puel and Rodgers.

- Basic idea is to lure players in and then exploit the half-spaces they leave in behind them.

- In general, passing is short and crisp, but Coady has the licence to go long. He's the only one (and the keeper) that have that option.

- Attacks start with Coady, who is the director from the back.

- Winks is the "bounce pass" option, used to get out of trouble and play people in when half spaces appear. Try to imagine Ndidi do what Winks did in that first half lol. That's why we signed him.

- We use the inverted fullback to give us one man advantage in midfield, but also setup passing triangles so players always have two options to pass to at any time.

- We play a lot into midfield to compress the game and draw the opposition out of their shape.

- The game plan is about shifting their defensive block to create opportunities where they are outnumbered, out of position, or both.

- When the time is right we go for the diagonal switch via Coady to find a totally unmarked player.

- The keeper steps up a LOT sometimes in parallel to the back 3 to make an extra option. We use him to generate a one-man advantage and play around the opposition press. That's why we need a keeper who first and foremost can play with his feet.

All this stuff is already working. It needs refinement and tweaking, but it's there for all to see.

What we are lacking is up front. Pep creates underlaps and overlaps to create a lot of cut-back opportunities. We did see some of this, Wanya also had the option to drive in and shoot on one occasion too. This looks a bit crap right now, but hey when Man City do it they have Riyad Mahrez and co, not a player that hasn't played in the first-team and a converted wing-back. 

Wingers are what we need to complete the puzzle. Players who are fast, can beat a man via dribbling, work hard off the ball and can finish.

This style of play will dominate this division. It will come down to keeping certain players free from injury and / or squad depth, both of which I believe we will have in abundance.

I love how much effort you put into this and there will be a comment tomorrow saying... why aren't we playing iversen, I hate this rodgers ball it's been shown to not work etc etc etc

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

The attack coming on needs to play with the defence and midfield that just went off. 

I wonder if that's intentional? Goals win games, but clean sheets win Championships. Sensible to start with the back and getting the underlying structure working first.

Or I might be reading too much into it!

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

Ndidi playing further forward and ahead of Choudhury is interesting… lol

He is our new dynamic #8 😂

edit/ he was our most advanced player on that last foray forward…

Edited by FoxesWalk

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

One thing fans will have to get used to is taking our time building out from the back. I'd argue we take even longer to do it under Maresca than Puel or Rodgers. But it's for a reason, we are trying to rope-a-dope the attackers to come to us to make space behind them.

I will absolutely guarantee we hear a lot of frustration from this at the King Power for the first 6 months of the Maresca era.

Eventually fans will realise that when used in this way, it's the way we construct our attacks.

If we're in the right bracket of the table, he'll get away with it. If we're not, there'll be a level of frustration we've not seen among the fan base in a long, long time. We'll see how this evolves.