Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Northampton Pre Season Friendly Match Thread

7 minutes ago, Sly said:

I’m assuming we’ll look to break up the pitch higher up with the type of pressing? Less damage from his poorer passing and we play Winks on the half turn as the holding player? 

@StriderHiryu will offer better insight tactically than me! 

Bingo

If you want to play high pressing football, it takes a lot out of the team, especially if you play 3 games a week. So you need an abundance of runners. Liverpool played Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Henderson as first team picks in their pomp, but they also used Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Lallana, Milner and more as cover for weaker opposition.

Ndidi affected the game. Maybe it was a bit of an Okazaki performance in that sense, who also used to get the team going even though he himself was not the best technically. Players like this have a role to play in a long season.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Whilst yes for the most part I agree with this. But also surely we need to look at players in their best positions too. Why not play Nacho there in the number 10 and Daka in front of him? Surely that's their preferred or best positions. Hmm ah well maybe Enzo knows best :scarf:

I agree with this, but I assume those playing slightly out of position aren't in Enzo's initial plans and will be out the door, preferably. Daka, Castagne, Ndidi, possibly Praet will all be squad options at very best I'd assume, and will want to leave for better opportunities.

26 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

‘He’ll tear up the Championship’

I get it he seems like a lovely plesent young guy but from a footballing perspective we’ve seen enough from the previous two season that suggest that he’s far from up to scratch, whenever his feet get near the ball they just seem to go into a series of spasms as opposed to skilful control, every first touch is so badly timed. 

Edited by jonathan_ross

1 hour ago, jonathan_ross said:

But the still the blind faith from large portion of our supporters continues. 

Musa mark 2.

Overall today tho saw some positive things from the players tho. Think there's a few that have been written off that could end up doing a job.

That said the sooner Dennis and timmy are allowed to leave the better. I'm not sure either of them offer much and I'm convinced neither of them want to be here. 

53 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Whilst yes for the most part I agree with this. But also surely we need to look at players in their best positions too. Why not play Nacho there in the number 10 and Daka in front of him? Surely that's their preferred or best positions. Hmm ah well maybe Enzo knows best :scarf:

He does..!!
Its a pre season game and so far this forum group of know-alls have been quite pathetic on looking further than their nose…And out of habit throw only negatives around…

A squad that is after relegation having to find themselves…They look like they are still finding their way,but look more like they want to be out there,than some of the same individuals who have been shitting themselves over nearly 2 seasons.

Enzo has got more players in the oppo‘s box,than Rodgers did. over his whole tenure…

Recognising it’s pre-season ( like normal fans do), there was no step backwards,

quicker release. It’s still taking a look at each other,but far more upbeat,than the group that had nearly 3 seasons together,I see for one where the big stars lost each others interest…

I want from this game to see purpose and the movements no matter how small,being on the front foot…

players will HAVE to prepared to take on new movement and new roles,this is what should be expected..

Its some fans on here that are standing still..

Went to Sixfields apprehensive as to whether we'd just be a Pep light tippy tappy outfit but went home in a far more positive frame of mind. Love the way Maresca has worked on leaving the attacking third vacant for swift exploitation in transition. If he can get the right players to blend in that area we can be more confident of returning to the Premier League at the first time of asking. Early days though?

1 hour ago, hejammy said:

Really? So we just stick them anywhere on the pitch as they need minutes? Ndidi clearly has no attributes to suggest he'd be any good so far up the pitch. 

I am speculating as to why it may have been done, putting faith in the manager who will know more about Ndidi's abilities than any of us on here.

It's clear that we're going to be playing a mix of Pep's and De Zerbi's tactics.

Hard to say who will play where because we don't know who will be here and who won't and I know it won't but if the squad stays as is, plus the young Danish keeper and whoever is going to play left wing, but I don't think today's starting line up will be much different to that in 3 weeks time. 

Out of possession we look like playing a 4231 in possession it certainly looked like a 3241. Interestingly Ndidi when he came on wasn't part of the of the 2 in possession and was instead part of the 4, as was Daka...... Who didn't look great did he. Ricardo and subsequently Justin filled the "Stones" role. 

My favorite part of the game was when Winks smashed the ball right into Ricky's face :doh:

It's clear the message is still getting across but there was certainly more positives to take from the game than negatives 

Guest Col city fan
15 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

It finished that way.

15 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Finished at that. 

Cheers fellas 

Sounds quite positive 

3 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Crikey. Some should park the negativity until we’ve at least played the first ten league games. You’ll come back fresher and with even more zest for preaching doom and gloom after a break :)

They should park their negativity for at lot longer than that IMHO we already  have had 8 players out 4 In with more ins and outs expected all the way through the till the end of August so it's going to be a completed disjointed pre season. 

We also have A completely new manager with a brand new backroom staff looking to implement totally new shape and systems on and off the ball.

The manager has said this is going to be a long process and I belive him, it could be 6 months to a year till we see this re build come to fruition. Don't get  me wrong we need to be winning enough to be in and around the top 6 and we need to be seeing steady incremental improvements but supporters need to show a level of patience and support that they have not shown for a long time. 

• Like 1

Encouraging performance today, plenty of positives to take from it.

Good performances from Coady, Winks, Ricky, Praet, KDH, Vesty and McAteer. (Nice to see Marc back in the shirt.)

Poor showing from Faes, he looked disappointed to be there and didn’t seem interested, get rid if he’s got an attitude. Daka also looked poor but probably harsh since he’s playing out of position, needs a chance down the middle.