Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Post match: Cobblers 0-1 Foxes (friendly)

43 minutes ago, The_77 said:

It’s an early friendly, we’re just trying to get players fit again, which is why they’re being plugged in different positions; it’s not the Champions League final.  

And said players are aware of this and not trying to get themselves injured so are probably playing at 70-80% commitment, especially those who have previously been first team regulars.

Fitness and experimentation. In no way is this any indication of how we'll start the season.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1

The way I saw earlier is that we had a lot of square pegs in round holes and still managed to achieve a pretty good performance where Northampton created basically zero and we really ought to have gotten 3 or more. If we can achieve that with a squad still in a bit of a mess then it bodes well for when we get some more suited players in.

We need a couple of wide forwards. Get a couple of decent ones and we will absolutely pan a couple of sides.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, inckley fox said:

All fair points. I'm more than a little cautious, but you can't read much into a friendly. And it's important to counterbalance my uncertainty with your optimism. I should add that, in spite of being a bit wary, I'm usually one of the last to turn on the manager (at times injudiciously!) I do reserve the right to moan, though...

I can see why anyone might be pessimistic or wary after our collapse, but there's plenty of signs to suggest that things have changed, and that the main reasons we struggled are removed/reduced....  Early days, yes, but nothing to suggest this year will be a catastrophe - for me it's simple - enjoy it as it is (it was so good just to watch a game today!) and then deal with the misery if and when it comes...

3 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

I'd take a 1 nil for the first Month in the Championship while we find our feet.

Enzo is just figuring out what we have in the squad. Friendlies are just that, A chance for the Manager to see players in action.

Pretty sure most of our wins in 15/16 were by the odd goal... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

He is Luke Thomas' uncle I believe. But you can't expect all positivity when we are still seeing the same mistakes made. Daka on the wing, slow tired build ups (second half especially), no creativity, Vardy struggling on his own, no captain, a lack of goals and chances created against a team made up of many trialists.

Yes I am. 

it seems I’ve upset a fair few with my take on the game but never mind. 

I think they went through trialiest A-H and we still struggled to create much. It’s ok though we have Spurs and Liverpool to build up some momentum and confidence. 

7 hours ago, ACF said:

Seriously what is going on in this thread.

That was positive, not perfect. It was refreshing to see purpose and movement in our possession but we’re just missing that midfield-striker creative link/spark.

Some are reacting like we should be beating every opponent 5-0.

I reckon some expected us to have turned into Man City in the few weeks between us being relegated for being dogshit and Enzo coming in with 3 new signings 😂😂 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The_77 said:

It’s an early friendly, we’re just trying to get players fit again, which is why they’re being plugged in different positions; it’s not the Champions League final.  

Ffs where did I mention anything about the significance of the game?

Its an opinion based on the current evidence to hand 

11 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

I reckon some expected us to have turned into Man City in the few weeks between us being relegated for being dogshit and Enzo coming in with 3 new signings 😂😂 

I didn’t expect us to be Man City far from it, but let’s be honest we were playing Northampton who fielded a number of trialists. We on the other hand had a team full of internationals both on the pitch and the bench. 

There is a complete gulf in quality between the players and teams and whilst we kept the ball well it was fairly boring to watch and we didn’t really create too much and that is my main disappointment. Had it have been stronger opponents then maybe I would have been less critical. 

Yes I get it’s early days and yes there is a hell of a lot of work to do but my first impressions was that yesterday wasn’t great. Let’s see what happens in the next few. 

Just now, Beachyboy said:

For those that aren't happy for perspective, Newcastle who will be playing in the CL, went 2-0 down against Gateshead before scraping a narrow 3-2 win.

I think it highlights the point as many say every year, friendlies do not matter.

7 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

The way I saw earlier is that we had a lot of square pegs in round holes and still managed to achieve a pretty good performance where Northampton created basically zero and we really ought to have gotten 3 or more. If we can achieve that with a squad still in a bit of a mess then it bodes well for when we get some more suited players in.

We need a couple of wide forwards. Get a couple of decent ones and we will absolutely pan a couple of sides.

Rob Tanner I think said don't be suprised to see players in different positions to normal, we have an abundance of numbers in our squad, but not quality in some areas. If somebody unexpected can be converted into a decent winger, it's 2 less transfers we need, selling a player, an buying a winger, so I get the thought process about trying players in different positions, actually found it refreshing.

5 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

I think it highlights the point as many say every year, friendlies do not matter.

They do for fitness and shape, but the result isn't overly important. What I liked is seeing 3-4 players quickly around the ball when we lost it to try and win it back quickly. I'm guessing that's the win it back in 6 seconds if you can Pep tactic.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

those referring to today as “boring football” remind me of the type of person that would get excited by Dyche style of football because the ball is played into the box within 3 seconds, regardless of the intent of where the ball is going. 

There's obviously a lot of anxiety about possession based football because people equate it to late Rodgers era instead of early Rodgers era and they're fed up of it. 

But then there was still quite a lot of sideways and backwards especially in the second half yesterday. When we swapped out Winks and Ricardo for JJ and Hamza there was far less ball control and progression and far more of the centre backs just playing horizontal. 

There was also a bit of a lack of real penetration in the final third. But that's not really surprising either. Man City invest heavily in the best wingers in the world to provide a lot of the chance creation in their system, we had literally zero wingers in the squad yesterday that would be good enough to help win is the Championship doing that role. 

We need to go out and buy or loan and do it quickly or else the manager needs to find a way for his footballing philosophy to work with a system that's going to utilise two of our central strikers actually in central areas. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...that information is a big surprise,  he looks completely disconnected from the other players!!!

I keep waiting for him to make an almighty clanger, he has a heavy touch in possession and ends up having to make a last ditch lunges to recover his position. 

Did you watch the game yesterday?

4 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

Rob Tanner I think said don't be suprised to see players in different positions to normal, we have an abundance of numbers in our squad, but not quality in some areas. If somebody unexpected can be converted into a decent winger, it's 2 less transfers we need, selling a player, an buying a winger, so I get the thought process about trying players in different positions, actually found it refreshing.

See that terrifies me because it backs up my assumption that we actually aren't going to do much more business. 

Total Football worked as a philosophy because clubs like Ajax and Barcelona historically had academies that would sculpt young players from the moment they first signed up to be skilled and versatile. 

You can't just turn Patson Daka in to a winger or Wilfred Ndidi in to a box to box creator. That kinda hubris gets managers fired. 

I love the basic ideas of Enzo, I love the quick combinations of play, the off the ball movement, the runs from deep. There's a lot to be optimistic about. But he has to be pragmatic and work with the squad he's got. It's not even a major adjustment to shift to 352, especially with your 8s drifting out in to those "mezzala" channels the way KDH does. 

7 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

They do for fitness and shape, but the result isn't overly important. What I liked is seeing 3-4 players quickly around the ball when we lost it to try and win it back quickly. I'm guessing that's the win it back in 6 seconds if you can Pep tactic.

Yes sorry I over simplified it by saying they don’t matter, what I meant to say is many people just look at the result rather than the context of the game itself and it’s purpose.

• Like 1

2 weeks into our pre season preparations under a new manager so firstly just wanted to focus on the positives - 

The new signings so far looked very promising additions and hopefully bodes well for our summer recruitment.  Coady and Winks superb, Doyle showed glimpses of quality but looked rusty. 

We looked in good physical shape, the double sessions have clearly helped with our conditioning.

Given Maresca has only had 2 weeks to implement his ideas, you could already see a pattern and style, clearly need more creative  players further forward to really make it all click. 

KDH will bag 10-15 goals playing in this system, Wilf also had opportunities to score and assist, in truth we could and should have scored at least 3 or 4, this system and style will create lots of opportunities just need to have the quality and composure to capitalise. 

You could clearly see the importance of the keeper being comfortable in possession and be able to play quick incisive passes into midfield to beat the 1st press and open up the opportunity to create attacking overloads. It is high risk but will reap rewards when it fully clicks. 

Only negative is we have 7/8 players who are still in the departure lounge and need to be cleared out to enable Maresca to bring in players who can take this style to the next level and also remove any negativity/hangover from last season. 

Far from the finished article and clearly a work in progress but overall I felt it was positive and lots of good signs for season ahead. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

See that terrifies me because it backs up my assumption that we actually aren't going to do much more business. 

Total Football worked as a philosophy because clubs like Ajax and Barcelona historically had academies that would sculpt young players from the moment they first signed up to be skilled and versatile. 

You can't just turn Patson Daka in to a winger or Wilfred Ndidi in to a box to box creator. That kinda hubris gets managers fired. 

I love the basic ideas of Enzo, I love the quick combinations of play, the off the ball movement, the runs from deep. There's a lot to be optimistic about. But he has to be pragmatic and work with the squad he's got. It's not even a major adjustment to shift to 352, especially with your 8s drifting out in to those "mezzala" channels the way KDH does. 

I don't believe the experiment of Daka and Ndidi will last long. They don't strike me as intelligent versatile footballers, an long term I'd imagine both would be sold anyway. These strike me as the type of players that fit into the category of low resale value, may be good enough for the championship, but won't fit into the system/style in the long run.

Coadys energy is infectious, watching a 5 minute video with him and KDH, so pleasing to hear KDH speak with enthusiasm. His whole Leicester career has been with us on the slide, an now with a new manager, an Coady with all that positive energy, I can hear its already rubbing of on KDH.

• Like 1