Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Post match: Cobblers 0-1 Foxes (friendly)

4 minutes ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

Seriously? What exactly are you expecting?. If you want end to end stuff go watch basketball.

Implementing a new style takes time but what I saw today was positive and just needs a little creative flair.

Thanks for confirming what I stated.....

I also stated its early days. Don't try and justify what was witnessed then was a exciting watch.

Transfers outgoings and incoming need to happen much faster now.

1 minute ago, FoxFossil said:

So what do we feel is our  best starting team with this system?

Seem to just have too many players - 5 or 6 need to go (pick any 5 from second half, plus Ward)

Hard to tell but I did like the defence/midfield combination and shape that we started with.

Ricardo as an 'inverted full-back' to join up with Winks in CM.

Doyle as a CB/LB. Castagne giving the width on the right hand side. KDH doing the same to an extent on the left.

The thing that was missing was a link between Winks and Vardy. We do need more attacking players to make this system more potent. 

• Like 2

Just now, FoxFossil said:

Seem to just have too many players - 5 or 6 need to go (pick any 5 from second half, plus Ward)

Too many players that do the same thing. Still too much dead wood. Vester, hamza, dare i say it, Vards, Ward, Ndidi, Praet, all need to go and probably Sharks. 

...first game in, and the Ricardo into the midfield experiment seems a waste of a player!!!

I believed the idea for him to be there was so that a natural midfielder could push even further up the pitch, but if all he is going to be doing is wall passing, then Hamza can do that.

There are always places where people are slotted in for game time and Ndidi's movement was surprisingly good. He got into good positions and appeared to know what was needed from him.

I would still like to see Madivadua in a DM role, because he has the ability to transition the play on his own. Even when we had the midfield all facing our own goal, there were countless opportunities to receive the ball from the defence and spin and attack.

Doyle had a bad day today, nothing went for him.

2 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Slightly baffled by people calling that boring or shit football. Thought we played some very decent stuff, especially in the first half.

We are arguably the biggest team in the league this season, we are gonna have to learn to dominate the ball/ be patient for openings, a lot of teams are going to park the bus against us. 

It was against a poor Northampton side with god knows how many trialists. Should've had more goals. Goals build confidence. 

• Like 4

Only Leicester City would have Vestegaard and Souttar come up for a corner, just to play it short. 

Thought we were excellent, dominated and so exciting to see Maresca imprint his style on the squad. Seeing Wilf burst down the right wing was so bizarre but he certainly didn't look out of place in doing so. 

• Like 4

More sleep inducing, shit boring football. All well and good having all of the ball but if there’s no movement it’s utterly pointless. Vestegaard looked more like the defensive organiser and played some unreal balls whereas coady, doyle and faes were underwhelming. 
Second team looked better than the first and yeah it’s pre season but I am not confident looking at them 

Just now, Fazzer 7 said:

It was against a poor Northampton side with god knows how many trialists. Should've had more goals. Goals build confidence. 

We all know we need better attacking options but was nice to see us get into those positions.

Promising he’s had 2 weeks with them and has already managed to change our style for the better.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fazzer 7 said:

While that may be true, it's not the be all and end all. Need to get the system right for the players we currently have, and I hope Maresca is seeing progress there based on today. 

For reference, in the 13/14 season when we dominated this league, the pre-season for that we only scored 4 goals. And one of those was in a 2-1 loss to Northampton.

Pre-season friendlies are more than just goals. Confidence comes from more than just goals. Especially when it's only the first proper pre-season friendly we've got.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

I wouldn't worry about that for now. The Manager needs a lot more time with the team and needs the extra players he will have asked for to be brought to the club. Plus players are just building up their fitness. I think all of us, including Maresca will only really start to understand that after 10 games.

As an example, in the first half Wanya got into some amazing positions, but let himself down with his touch. But I imagine that in training he's been quite impressive there. Or for example Vestergaard is one of our worst signings for many a year, but was pinging some great passes in the second half. We are only going to learn this stuff from real, competitive matches.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Is that down to the play style though? I’d argue it was the poor finishing rather than the set-up. Ndidi should’ve scored, Praet, Vardy & Daka all missed good chances. 

• Like 2