Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Post match: Cobblers 0-1 Foxes (friendly)

6 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Obviously a small sample size but I thought Iversen looked fine on the ball. Certainly more composed than Stolarczyk.

He takes forever to release the ball, it's impossible to build attacks from. We absolutely need better and quicker thinking from the goalkeeper.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

So what do we feel is our  best starting team with this system?

Seem to just have too many players - 5 or 6 need to go (pick any 5 from second half, plus Ward)

Out of current players? 

Iversen (Hermansen if he signs)

Ricardo - Faes - Coady - Kristiansen

Winks

Praet - KDH

Albrighton - Nacho/Daka - Barnes

Obviously there's issues and question marks about that.

Vardy is best as a late sub option against tired legs. It's absolutely up for debate who is better in this system out of the other two, as at present we haven't seen enough to make that call, and they each offer different skills.

Barnes isn't likely to stay, and we 100% need a replacement. I'd be happy to see Marcal-Madivadua play as a rotation option, but not as a starter. A wide left player is needed, I don't buy Daka there at all, he always looks out of position. 

Similarly, we need a wide left player, as Albrighton gives his all, but work rate isn't everything in a technical system like this. I like Castagne as a player, but he did not look great in that position at all imo.

Faes was good I thought, if still getting used to the system. A few unforced errors due to him forgetting that Ricardo wasn't to his right, but that should be a teething issue. That said, while technically Castagne and Justin can play this role, it's not their natural position, and I would like to see us get someone else in to sure up numbers just so Faes isn't the only real option. That and there's a chance that Faes is sold. 

Praet was decent today, as was McAteer, but we definitely need someone more creative here. Another CM is needed.

I think after today our shopping list is clear:

- Wide right forward

- Wide left forward (If Barnes goes)

- Creative CM

- Right CB

- Goalkeeper (assuming we haven't already got one.)

Wink....looks a good signing

Ricardo can play in midfield which has some versatility to our game.  

Personally think Soutter should get a chance in the main team instead of Faes. 

Doyle...First game was a bit meh for me, rather see Thomas or Kristensen play left wingback.  

I don't want to see Daka on the wing...was looking forward to seeing Nacho and Daka through the middle.  Vardy should be the 30 min striker now.   

Ndidi....looks happier...but playing CAM? 

15 minutes ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

More sleep inducing, shit boring football. All well and good having all of the ball but if there’s no movement it’s utterly pointless. Vestegaard looked more like the defensive organiser and played some unreal balls whereas coady, doyle and faes were underwhelming. 
Second team looked better than the first and yeah it’s pre season but I am not confident looking at them 

...players were very much passing for the sake of passing!!!

There were opportunities where just holding on to the ball a bit longer could have given a better chance to enhance our play.

Albrighton when he came on, looked to take more control of the play and certainly knew what he wanted to achieve whilst on the ball. Too many players were just looking to release the ball without real purpose. 

It really matters what you are looking for from this game, if you are looking to see how these players adapt to this style, then it was an interesting watch, if you are looking for a front foot  all action, then we are nowhere near that.

32 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Slightly baffled by people calling that boring or shit football. Thought we played some very decent stuff, especially in the first half.

We are arguably the biggest team in the league this season, we are gonna have to learn to dominate the ball/ be patient for openings, a lot of teams are going to park the bus against us. 

Sorry i think most teams that win automatic promotion and normally the favourites or biggest team. Generally go for the kill, and dominate from the off

It's obviously preseason and I can't say I ever put too much stock in it. 

Some obvious pros, I like in theory the system and how the team will no doubt play one day. I love the use of very aggressive centre mids to break the lines and get in to the channels. Winks makes a huge difference, Ricardo is well suited to his role, it's fun to watch when it works. 

But also some cons, the manager seems extremely committed to this shape despite having tragically little personnel for it. It doesn't suit the forwards we have and not only can we probably not afford to replace them all, we arguably shouldn't want to. 

We also definitely will need some extra midfielders. If a team is relying on Wilfred Ndidi to be one of its major attacking weapons, it's gonna have a bad time. I actually think Soumare and KDH in those roles together, left and right, would be electric and a big part to how I saw a 352 working when I suggested it a few months ago. But if Soumare is off or the manager just doesn't like him, it's another hole. 

We'll also be absolutely fvcked if Winks gets a knock. We were significantly worse as soon as he went off. Yes it's preseason and everyone is still learning but it's obvious we're going to be very reliant on him, making him a smart signing. 

Overall I'm optimistic for a the long term but probably increasingly anxious for the short term. If a stubbornness to stick to a perceived shape regardless of the tools available to him is a feature of Maresca then I can see why it went wrong at Parma. 

He's going to need to be backed properly in the next few weeks and I'm not sure I see it happening. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Sorry, what? Were we watching the same game? 😅

Doesn’t look like it 😂 coady kept getting caught wrong side in the first half and I can’t think of a dual Doyle won although there was a couple of decent moments from him on the ball. Faes was his typical self sometimes aggressive in a good way sometimes rash. I know you shouldn’t read too much into friendlies but I thought Doyle and coady would stick out like a sore thumb but it was the opposite for me today, I thought Vestegaard, souttar and kristiansen looked better together which is probably why you shouldn’t read too much into friendlies 😂

• Like 1

Thought the run out served it's purpose. Enough of a competitive match to sharpen the players up and increase fitness. I'm not sure what people expect from these types of games, but winning a game 7 - 0 may have less benefit than a solid, competitive 1 - 0. A new system will take time to adapt to, my main concern is that some are getting used to this new style of play and then may well leave and new signings will then have to get up to speed quickly.

Edited by MGLCFC

15 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

How you can draw any strong conclusions either way from that is astonishing lol

Run of the mill pre season game with not many talking points. We won and got no injuries. Go and enjoy your Saturday night 

Hope Enzo isn't of that mindset lol

Sloppy i thought today, very slow reaction thoughout. Didnt exactly get off to greatest starts. Even with the goal. Seem to slightly improve in the second half, but not that convincing. Note for the managers notebook... "work to be done"... "need a striker" 

Decent debut for Winks. Albrighton still looks effective and could still play huge role.

Edited by Leicesterpool

26 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

How you can draw any strong conclusions either way from that is astonishing lol

Run of the mill pre season game with not many talking points. We won and got no injuries. Go and enjoy your Saturday night 

Getting relegated to league 2 at the end of this season with these lot. Heck, think the city ladies would thrash us. We should just fold and cease to exist.

Lol.

• Like 1