Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Post match: Cobblers 0-1 Foxes (friendly)

the middle CB especially - Coady and then Vest - were trying to pull the Northampton team out of position by standing with the ball.

Like what De Zerbi's Brighton do and what Pep thinks makes them unreal - Pep, Maresca and the rest of the Man City backroom have obviously been watching that and trying to implement it a bit.

Holding the ball until a player gets 4/5 ft away and then passing it around them. 

Also noticed in the second half that N'didi was playing the De Bruyne role a bit - kept running beyond the Northants right back into that channel like KDB does - only issue is Wilf doesn't have the pass on him/ anyone to pull it back to.

Was an alright game - the fact that Cobblers were not interested in pressing for the ball made for some very boring passages of the game!

Edited by chadlcfc

1 hour ago, inckley fox said:

After waiting too long to pull the trigger last season, do you think we'll put up with 12th at Xmas? There'd be outright war in the stands, and many, many questions asked - of the owners first and foremost, then of the manager. People would be pointing out that very few newly relegated sides start seasons that badly and still go up. In fact, very few sides that go up in general are 12th at Xmas. I reckon the owners would either panic under the pressure, or the place would descend into civil war and the situation would become untenable, regardless of whether or not things were on the verge of clicking.

A slow start might be understandable. It's unlikely to be tolerated for long, though. Especially if we haven't invested in long-term projects - which is indicative of the need for short-term success, naturally - and the football is oddly reminiscent of Sven/Rodgers. I'm not sure we needed to invite those comparisons, to be honest, though I'd also be loath to read too much into a first pre-season game!

Granted i don't know much about the championship, but based on the teams that go up to the PL, if we can put out a side resembling, actually, either of the XIs we put out today, I can't imagine there being 11 teams better than us - at the very worst.

And it seemed pretty clear that, whilst it needs a lot more work, the players already understand Maresca's philosophy, i don't think it was just a coincidence that two entirety different sets of players played a very similar game - i don't think it's going to take months to learn his system, i think it's already there, just needs polishing - it's easy to forget that this is a team of top flight players, they're more than capable of learning a new system.  I think we looked solid defensively, the only thing that might slow us down is a lack of quality in the final third, but i'd like to think that today's finishing was just pre-season stiffness.

48 minutes ago, Big_Nige said:

Bit of a horses for courses comment that. Wes Morgan was a brilliant defender at what he was asked to do. Defend. Wes Morgan as a ball playing centreback, he had his limitations. 

Obviously they’ll be time in games that we’ll need to slow the play down, and take the sting out of it. But starting quick attacks when the opponent is out of shape will be paramount for Maresca-ball to work at times. I like Iversen as a keeper, if he’d have played the majority of games last season I believe we’d have stayed up, but our new manager has a clear footballing identity and a keeper who is very comfortable with the ball at his feet, breaking the lines and starting attacks is a key part of his tactics

I think that was my point, somehow :D - i think the new dane will be the man, but whilst Iversen isn't ideal, he's shown that perhaps he isn't as limited as people have been suggesting.  Yes, he's a a bit ponderous on the ball, but he certainly benefitted from playing in a system that gave him more options.

• Like 1

What was up with Praet, Faes and I’m worried for Vardy

Praet - Looked lethargic from the get go, negative in possession and just not with it.

Faes - Attitude and number of poor passes

Vardy - Issue he’ll have is he’s quite one dimensional and only really offers the last man pace through ball, he isn’t good enough to drop in the hole and play these nice touches an lay offs I think Enzo wants. Whereas this role is perfect for Nacho!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LFEFox23 said:

Praet - Looked lethargic from the get go, negative in possession and just not with it.

Vardy - Issue he’ll have is he’s quite one dimensional and only really offers the last man pace through ball, he isn’t good enough to drop in the hole and play these nice touches an lay offs I think Enzo wants. Whereas this role is perfect for Nacho!

Vardy isn't one dimensional in the slightest. He's aging that's all

• Like 1

One thing I would say is the system that he is looking to play with players getting into the box and playing cutbacks etc that the goals should be scored/spread more throughout the team rather than a reliance on 1 man getting the goals.

12 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Granted i don't know much about the championship, but based on the teams that go up to the PL, if we can put out a side resembling, actually, either of the XIs we put out today, I can't imagine there being 11 teams better than us - at the very worst.

And it seemed pretty clear that, whilst it needs a lot more work, the players already understand Maresca's philosophy, i don't think it was just a coincidence that two entirety different sets of players played a very similar game - i don't think it's going to take months to learn his system, i think it's already there, just needs polishing - it's easy to forget that this is a team of top flight players, they're more than capable of learning a new system.  I think we looked solid defensively, the only thing that might slow us down is a lack of quality in the final third, but i'd like to think that today's finishing was just pre-season stiffness.

All fair points. I'm more than a little cautious, but you can't read much into a friendly. And it's important to counterbalance my uncertainty with your optimism. I should add that, in spite of being a bit wary, I'm usually one of the last to turn on the manager (at times injudiciously!) I do reserve the right to moan, though...

• Like 1

I only posted this as I was a bit starstruck.

My PM's have gone nuts.

@StanSP, I'm  truly flattered, you're beautiful, but a married man and she's expecting, you should be ashamed of yourself.

@Jattdogg I don't care about Canadian citizenship, it's a no. And it doesn't matter how good your curry goat is. Again, I'm flattered though. 

And finally @FoxesDeb, if you like clubs like that, fine, each to their own, just not for me.

:ph34r:

Screenshot_20230715_165634_Gallery.jpg

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, LFEFox23 said:

LOL this is unreal when, his pass completion was probably the best out of all the players on the pitch and Attitude what did he do shit on your seat?

• Like 1