Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Double Decker

Spurs in Thailand

It's not good prep, feel like we need something else added into the schedule now, though can potentially just go more full strength for the Burton game.

To be honest I'd be putting in a fairly local away game prior to Cov. Something to highlight to the players what we're in for this season. It's not fancy trips abroad, get them in a grotty changing room somewhere with cold showers.

• Like 1

It's unfortunate, but it could have been a decent workout. Quality, but potentially beatable, opposition in front of a big crowd before coming back to play Burton and then Coventry on the opening day.

Planning this in Thailand during monsoon season was questionable, but numerous PL teams do exactly the same every year without a hitch. It hasn't worked out, but it's not really cause for some of the Jonestown reactions we're seeing here. 

I never bought into this argument that it was like the ICC just after we won the league where we played two world class teams in two different continents over a matter of days; I just saw it as a bit of a cash cow that we could have regretted had a key player gotten injured, but the same happened in our own backyard when Fofana got injured against Villarreal so the location didn't really come into it.

As it is, we now have a gap in our preparation that will need to be plugged with decent opposition to see how we gel. A behind-closed-doors friendly at Seagrave against decent Premier League opposition would give us an idea of where we are in terms of progress. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Normally I wouldn’t be too concerned, but we have a new manager and squad, we need to play matches before the season starts. Otherwise our players aren’t going to be able to remember what a ball is or how to put on their football boots! 

But we are playing..plus not reported games behind closed  doors( maybe manager wants it so) Club has to honour certain promised ties,plus marketing and games.

A bit of perspective - Brighton who 99% of us (myself included) rave about how well run they are have FOUR pre-season friendlies planned with 3 out of the 4 being in the US.

I know we’re all bitter about last season but a bit of perspective is definitely needed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bilo said:

It's unfortunate, but it could have been a decent workout. Quality, but potentially beatable, opposition in front of a big crowd before coming back to play Burton and then Coventry on the opening day.

Planning this in Thailand during monsoon season was questionable, but numerous PL teams do exactly the same every year without a hitch. It hasn't worked out, but it's not really cause for some of the Jonestown reactions we're seeing here. 

I never bought into this argument that it was like the ICC just after we won the league where we played two world class teams in two different continents over a matter of days; I just saw it as a bit of a cash cow that we could have regretted had a key player gotten injured, but the same happened in our own backyard when Fofana got injured against Villarreal so the location didn't really come into it.

As it is, we now have a gap in our preparation that will need to be plugged with decent opposition to see how we gel. A behind-closed-doors friendly at Seagrave against decent Premier League opposition would give us an idea of where we are in terms of progress. 

That's just too sensible.

2 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

A bit of perspective - Brighton who 99% of us (myself included) rave about how well run they are have FOUR pre-season friendlies planned with 3 out of the 4 being in the US.

I know we’re all bitter about last season but a bit of perspective is definitely needed.

USA is at least a competent country to host sporting events..

39 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Way i see it everyones had a few months of pent up anger to get out of their system. 

This is crap, but although not unheard of they got really unlucky with the weather. I wish they cancelled this tour but i presume it was being planned long before relegation was a serious proposition. Still doesn't make it right but i think there are some overboard reactions. Hopefully there is enough going on behind closed doors to get us ready. 

I have a lot of pent up anger,but get pssed off,when everytime some know-alls ,

so much up there own arse..just throwing out dish water complaints and yapping..

When logging in…No matter what topic..

Time is up…time to get on with life..And actually time to “support” club,manager, & squad….

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

USA is at least a competent country to host sporting events..

Not disputing that but merely stating that if you look at it this way from a Brighton perspective -

1) Their first ever season in Europe and the least amount of games in pre-season with two of them against Chelsea and Newcastle so could have some awkward score lines that may (may not) knock confidence.

2) One of their star men is missing due to transfer links to Chelsea, with them (Chelsea) not meeting their valuation of Caicedo.

Makes you realise that some of the unjustified hate Top and co. is actually happening in supposedly well run clubs.

16 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Just in case you’ve made plans and to warn you, the Burton game is between the Coventry and Huddersfield games, not before Coventry. 

We’re off to play Liverpool in Singapore next weekend, so not back until next Monday/Tuesday when we’ll probably be jet-lagged. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

all clubs do it, it's nothing new.

Doesn't mean I have to like it?

And also, can we actually go somewhere where we have fans? 

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

Guest Chocolate Teapot
24 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

It's going pretty badly for them out there and they have an extra week before the start of the season.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot