Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Soumare to Napoli?

On 16/08/2023 at 12:23, Daggers said:

Given the speed he demonstrates on the pitch, it's going to take a season or two for him to make it to an airport.

On 16/08/2023 at 16:50, Sideshow Faes said:

If he moves as slowly leaving as he does tracking back it's gonna take some time to make

Mods! :mad:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

The vast change in all that towards the end of last season when played in his correct position for more than a cameo time period. Even the radio pundits commented on it. If you researched his strengths at his last club before he came here you'll see why he was always going to be up against it.

Although I've put this on before, if you have time to read this article and then objectively think about how Rodgers used him, I personally think there's a reason why he didn't perform well on his odd appearances. He's not the only player in fairness who was a round peg dumped into a square hole.

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/player-analysis-boubakary-soumare/

Hunger , desire, passion, awareness..

Thats nothing to do with Bodgers

it comes from within… but obviously not in Soumare case!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Simmo86 said:

So let me get this right, centre mid was our weakest position, Bouba played less games than others in our weakest position but he’s directly responsible for our relegation.

You’re catching on! Yes, he was the worst player in an incredibly weak position in the team. His performances were so bad, he couldn’t even nail down a spot in there. When he did play, he was shocking! So yes, I think he was the weakest link in a team that got relegated. 

27 minutes ago, Viva said:

You’re catching on! Yes, he was the worst player in an incredibly weak position in the team. His performances were so bad, he couldn’t even nail down a spot in there. When he did play, he was shocking! So yes, I think he was the weakest link in a team that got relegated. 

Soumare was obviously awful, but Ndidi was worse last year. 

Some absolutely terrible individual performances.

2 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

Of course. No straying off the straight and narrow on FT! It’s my age I guess? Note to self - look at the thread you’re posting in before hitting send!

The clue was in your ‘makes less effort than any of them’ comment. Fair enough. 

Again, I’d respectfully disagree. Bloke was brodgered from the get go, brought in to be Yaya Toure when he’s actually more of an Ian Banks. 

I don’t think we overpaid with this one. But you and others are free to disagree 

Ian Banks, now there's a blast from the past!

He never quite hit his stride at Leicester did he? 

His real success only came when he moved on to Weatherfield Rovers. Though by that time he'd changed his name to Kevin Webster 🤔

ian-banks-footballer-acf122f5-2016-48e2-

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Viva said:

lollollol

Now I know you’ve just got some weird grudge against him rather applying any logic to it 

19 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

His real success only came when he moved on to Weatherfield Rovers. Though by that time he'd changed his name to Kevin Webster 🤔

I used to like him, scored a few screamers that I can remember. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

If memory serves he once scored in four successive games, and when Banksy scored they were generally bangers!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Simmo86 said:

lollollol

Now I know you’ve just got some weird grudge against him rather applying any logic to it 

He made 26 league appearances last season. Are you seriously telling me that’s not enough for me to rate him our weakest link? 
If that’s not enough for you, I think he was shocking the season before too and should have been sold last summer. 

• Like 3

Some of the comments here are wild. 

Yes, he was generally poor, especially when played on a defensive midfield position which highlighted his weaknesses around postponing and anticipation. But when we had our best run of form last season, he was a key player. And he was very good vs. Wolves when he played as a box-to-box player. 

There are multiple larger causes for our issues last season, in particular the goalkeeper position and general defending. We had Danny Ward in goal, come on! 

Nevertheless, I think Soumare needs to go - his focus and mentality just aren’t consistent enough.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

So good he registered not a single goal or assist in 59 appearances!! I am sorry he has never been a “key” player. He should have been, given his fee and experience,  but he simply has never looked up to the required standard. 

I agree he wasn’t a major factor in our relegation - but when Tielemans, on his own admission, was underperforming- a player able and willing to seize the opportunity was just what we needed. Soumare was bought to be just that player and he wasn’t anywhere near good enough ..

He’s the one aspect of the poorly performing squad that we can’t pin on Rodgers. By all accounts Brendan wasnt keen, he correctly identified weaknesses once Soumare had been given an early chance. They were fairly simple - tracking back, awareness, energy and quick thinking - aptitudes which BS was never able to improve upon. 

Sooner he’s gone the better 

Not sure you would typically measure a defensive midfielder (which was where he was being incorrectly played) by number of goals and assists. 

But agree he was generally poor, underperformed and didn’t live up to his potential. 

36 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Some of the comments here are wild. 

Yes, he was generally poor, especially when played on a defensive midfield position which highlighted his weaknesses around postponing and anticipation. But when we had our best run of form last season, he was a key player. And he was very good vs. Wolves when he played as a box-to-box player. 

There are multiple larger causes for our issues last season, in particular the goalkeeper position and general defending. We had Danny Ward in goal, come on! 

Nevertheless, I think Soumare needs to go - his focus and mentality just aren’t consistent enough.

I don’t think he was ever a defensive midfielder, god knows why we played him there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rigga said:

Hunger , desire, passion, awareness..

Thats nothing to do with Bodgers

it comes from within… but obviously not in Soumare case!

Really? If your young, in a new country and new culture,  fish out of water, homesick,  problems back at home and your new coach doesn't even know or appreciate your strengths?

How much hunger, fire and passion could you muster up? What do you do for a living?, how old are you now? Could you have coped at Premiership standard at his age? Think about it and be honest. 

I think he’ll come good somewhere , I just don’t think he enjoyed it here at all.. it’s an odd signing and he was highly rated when we got him. Just want him to go now so Maresca can continue to reshape the squad..

3 hours ago, Plastik Man said:

That’s actually a very good comparison. You could see the potential but he never quite fulfilled it. 

He does he actually with around the club? I think it was generally Mendy wasn’t it? Now he has gone, maybe he’s just bloody lonely and doesn’t want to hang around with Vestergaard and Ward! 

I just don’t think he has adjusted or is suited to England and English football. He isn’t the first and certainly won’t be the last, however it again goes to show how poor our recruitment has been that prior to signing him, we didn’t do our homework and due diligence. 

I struggle to understand or see what attributes we felt he had that we needed, if he was a destroyer but crap in possession.or had a terrific range of passing but lacked physicality then I could understand it but I have seen so little from him in his time with us that I am still trying to fathom our what type of player he is and what is his best role. 

13 hours ago, Sideshow Faes said:

It's bizarre that we have fans that will slag off tielemans for being amongst our best ever midfielders at his peak, but just not being able to stay at that peak, but they'll continue backing Daka and Soumare based on what they did for their former clubs, despite watching 2 years of them failing game after game in a city shirt.

I think it was bizarre to see you defending Vestergaard on another thread given your views on Daka but everyone has their views right :dunno:

Re Soumare, sorry but you don’t play a key part in a side who beat PSG to the French title by being crap. Another one who just doesn’t suit the English leagues, the style we have played and just been caught up in the general decline of the club over the past two years.

He does need to go to make funds for a more suited alternative and to reignite his own career. However those who flit between threads claiming multiple players are our worst ever buy all in the same day are quite clueless to be polite!

Guest Sideshow Faes
38 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I think it was bizarre to see you defending Vestergaard on another thread given your views on Daka but everyone has their views right :dunno:

Re Soumare, sorry but you don’t play a key part in a side who beat PSG to the French title by being crap. Another one who just doesn’t suit the English leagues, the style we have played and just been caught up in the general decline of the club over the past two years.

He does need to go to make funds for a more suited alternative and to reignite his own career. However those who flit between threads claiming multiple players are our worst ever buy all in the same day are quite clueless to be polite!

Soumare and Daka both cost over £20m and have contributed nothing. There's absolutely no doubt both are amongst our worst ever purchases. Yet another manager doesn't rate them and isn't going to play them.

Vestergaard so far would be on the list also but he's clearly getting a run of games and so we need to back him.

8 hours ago, lcfc_forever said:

Not sure you would typically measure a defensive midfielder (which was where he was being incorrectly played) by number of goals and assists. 

Semantics really. It doesn’t matter what kind of midfielder you are, whether youve settled or not, if you see an opposition midfielder run past you, you track back and try and stop them scoring, creating a goal. If you see an opponent unmarked, you mark them. On a regular, week by week basis, Soumare failed to do even basic stuff. He was played as a six because he didn’t have the pace and fitness to be an 8. He didn’t score, he didn’t assist, he didn’t break up opposition attacks, or make crucial last ditch tackles. He wasn’t good in the air, he had no shot,. He was no use at set pieces. Even worse, he seemed to care little how little he was contributing to the team. His signing is as close to unforgivable as you can be…

• Like 2