Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Soumare to Napoli?

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

I think it was bizarre to see you defending Vestergaard on another thread given your views on Daka but everyone has their views right :dunno:

Re Soumare, sorry but you don’t play a key part in a side who beat PSG to the French title by being crap. Another one who just doesn’t suit the English leagues, the style we have played and just been caught up in the general decline of the club over the past two years.

He does need to go to make funds for a more suited alternative and to reignite his own career. However those who flit between threads claiming multiple players are our worst ever buy all in the same day are quite clueless to be polite!

Ndombele looked class for lyon to the point Spurs paid 62m for him. A lot of transfers from France work but a lot fail too. It just hasn't worked out. Be that because he can't settle or his game isn't suited to the league or whatever it is. We just need to try and recoup as much as possible. The thing with Soumare is his work rate is atrocious, he jogs back when the team loses possession and it might be worth sticking with a transfer that hasn't worked but they are still putting in the effort there's just no point when they don't.  He doesn't want to be here or in this league. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Soumare was £17mill and Daka £23mill. I suppose it balanced at £20mill on average.

The fact is we will get some return on them which is part of deeming how bad a transfer they were if you’re using financials as an argument. Vestergard also cost about the same as Soumare, has contributed even less and will not raise anything in the way of a return. He’s a significantly worse transfer then either of them. 

He should not be in the team and I can’t bring myself to back him. I would back either Soumare or Daka if they were being given a chance. 

They all rubbish, but to say Soumare has contributed more than anyone is hard to stomach, pathetic player who is a disgrace to the club. Running home like a big baby when things don't go right for him

Edited by Claridge
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

Ndombele looked class for lyon to the point Spurs paid 62m for him. A lot of transfers from France work but a lot fail too. It just hasn't worked out. Be that because he can't settle or his game isn't suited to the league or whatever it is. We just need to try and recoup as much as possible. The thing with Soumare is his work rate is atrocious, he jogs back when the team loses possession and it might be worth sticking with a transfer that hasn't worked but they are still putting in the effort there's just no point when they don't.  He doesn't want to be here or in this league. 

Exactly, I agree. Doesn’t make them bad players, more like the wrong players. Wrong player; wrong club, wrong league/country and wrong time. 

Try and recoup and move on.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Claridge said:

They all rubbish, but to say Soumare has contributed more than anyone is hard to stomach, pathetic player who is a disgrace to the club. Running home like a big baby when things don't go right for him

See this more as a reflection of my feelings towards Vestergaard than any sort of ringing endorsement towards Soumare. 

I think both have been poor but as I said above, whether a player was the worst ever or worse value depends also on return we get. If we can recoup and move on, it is probably more than we will get out of Vestergaard.

Daka and Soumare, at the end of the day, I see them as young players who have moved over here in good faith after achieving well in Europe and for whatever reason it hasn’t worked. I wish them well moving on. Vestergaard jas stunk out the place and is determined to stick around and drain his contract for all it’s worth.

11 minutes ago, Hamilton Fox said:

Wasn’t there a player used to play for Portsmouth or Fulham something like that nicknamed the Wardrobe? Well Soumare played like a wardrobe - immobile and stood still 

To be fair, that was the late, great Papa Bouba Diop and if was intended in his case as a compliment. 

He was an absolute unit. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

Semantics really. It doesn’t matter what kind of midfielder you are, whether youve settled or not, if you see an opposition midfielder run past you, you track back and try and stop them scoring, creating a goal. If you see an opponent unmarked, you mark them. On a regular, week by week basis, Soumare failed to do even basic stuff. He was played as a six because he didn’t have the pace and fitness to be an 8. He didn’t score, he didn’t assist, he didn’t break up opposition attacks, or make crucial last ditch tackles. He wasn’t good in the air, he had no shot,. He was no use at set pieces. Even worse, he seemed to care little how little he was contributing to the team. His signing is as close to unforgivable as you can be…

You quoted no goals and assists, not me. 

So don't think it's semantics on my side! 

But agree with largely what you've written here about his general play except the signing being 'as close to unforgivable as you can". At the time, many people were raving about his signing, and he was regarded as one of the top young central midfield talents. Fans of top clubs were saying how have we done it again by buying a top young talent. 

It just hasn't worked out, and much of that is a mentality thing I think. On his day, he was brilliant (memorably vs Spartak, Man Utd and Wolves) but sadly, those days were too few and far between. 

1 hour ago, lcfc_forever said:

You quoted no goals and assists, not me. 

So don't think it's semantics on my side! 

But agree with largely what you've written here about his general play except the signing being 'as close to unforgivable as you can". At the time, many people were raving about his signing, and he was regarded as one of the top young central midfield talents. Fans of top clubs were saying how have we done it again by buying a top young talent. 

It just hasn't worked out, and much of that is a mentality thing I think. On his day, he was brilliant (memorably vs Spartak, Man Utd and Wolves) but sadly, those days were too few and far between. 

The semantics are not about his stats but what kind of midfielder he is. The idea that he was played in the wrong position really is a delusion. He was nothing like strong enough as a defender to be a 6 and nothing like creative, quick or fit enough to be an 8.

My point about his signing being unforgivable is that I really do fail to see how a competent scouting and recruitment team would not see his shortcomings and steer clear. We’ve had Inler, Iborra, Ghezzal - all of whom needed too much time on the ball to be viable in the Premier League. And it is the job of the recruitment team to see through the hype, to study the stats (which even in France were not that impressive) and to make allowances for his playing in a much weaker, slower league. 

Of course we all hoped we’d found a diamond but we can’t possibly know. But highly paid professionals at LCFC should know and in this case ought to have known. 

4 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

Soumare was £17mill and Daka £23mill. I suppose it balanced at £20mill on average.

The fact is we will get some return on them which is part of deeming how bad a transfer they were if you’re using financials as an argument. Vestergard also cost about the same as Soumare, has contributed even less and will not raise anything in the way of a return. He’s a significantly worse transfer then either of them. 

He should not be in the team and I can’t bring myself to back him. I would back either Soumare or Daka if they were being given a chance. 

Why?

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:
4 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

Why?

I can't imagine not backing anyone playing for Leicester.

(I mean, assuming they hadn't done something truly awful, like punch a sleeping team-mate, breaking their cheekbone.)

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Rodgers specifically talked about getting a players who can break the lines, watch this and tell me how often we've seen this player? It's not dawdling slow football he's allowed to operate in, he's under pressure quickly and uses, skill, power and pace to break free over and over again. He also looks considerably trimmer.

It's been said he's not settled, and for me he looks every inch an unhappy person who doesn't want to be there. Iheancho looked the same when he first came here, people hated him and used to boo him on the pitch, Mendy got the same treatment, but both of them have ended up being appreciated by a lot of people. 

He looks absolutely incredible in this video! Almost unrecognizable to the plodder we've seen more often than not, dawdling around in the midfield like he's playing in a testimonial. He's definitely carrying some timber now if this is his fighting weight.

22 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Why?

Maybe wrong terminology. Complete indifference then and keen to see him out the team ASAP.

Even from the Cov game it was clear he hasn’t changed. Losing his man, looking round and just walking back whilst Faes and Doyle have to cover him constantly. Didn’t Doyle even have a go at him? 

I guess I mean in no way can I lump Daka in the same as Vestergaard. Vestergaard and Ward are a different case altogether. 

23 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Rodgers specifically talked about getting a players who can break the lines, watch this and tell me how often we've seen this player? It's not dawdling slow football he's allowed to operate in, he's under pressure quickly and uses, skill, power and pace to break free over and over again. He also looks considerably trimmer.

It's been said he's not settled, and for me he looks every inch an unhappy person who doesn't want to be there. Iheancho looked the same when he first came here, people hated him and used to boo him on the pitch, Mendy got the same treatment, but both of them have ended up being appreciated by a lot of people. 

Granted I only watched the first 4 minutes of that, but he lost the ball in nearly every clip. He’s got brilliant strength and can drive forward, but nothing else. Did nearly score a screamer against Moscow at home though and that pass against Wolves was good. I backed him for a while but he’s hardly shown any real desire to play for us. 

Again the FT hero’s claiming Soumare is a disgrace and bobbins. He’s not. He’s actually an extremely good player. Another who fell beneath the Todgers juggernaut of delusion. 

The lad never settled and as a result suffered some quite severe mental health issues. Sometimes it doesn’t work out, but there is a very good player in there. 

Best for all concerned that he moves and rebuilds himself. If we can recoup a decent chunk of his fee then that is a bonus. To be honest I think he would be better off moving back to France — but Napoli is a great place. Could get a touch warm though. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Again the FT hero’s claiming Soumare is a disgrace and bobbins. He’s not. He’s actually an extremely good player. Another who fell beneath the Todgers juggernaut of delusion. 

The lad never settled and as a result suffered some quite severe mental health issues. Sometimes it doesn’t work out, but there is a very good player in there. 

Best for all concerned that he moves and rebuilds himself. If we can recoup a decent chunk of his fee then that is a bonus. To be honest I think he would be better off moving back to France — but Napoli is a great place. Could get a touch warm though. 

I think that's kind of nuance that most people on here complaining about our players lack. Plenty of players get to Leicester and don't perform for various reasons. That doesn't mean they're "bad players." Vestergaard is a Danish international that was a key part of the team that made it to the Euro 2020 semifinal. Patson Daka lead the Austrian Bundesliga in goals in 2020-21. Boubakary Soumare was a key player on the Lille team that won Ligue 1. 

Perhaps none of them fit into Rodgers or Maresca's systems, but that is more Leicester's fault for bringing them here and massively overpaying them than theirs. We panic bought Vestergaard even though he's slower than molasses and has the turning radius of a cruise liner. Other teams have figured out how to make him work, and maybe Maresca will too, but Leicester fans act like he got here and purposely tried to be a woeful player. If anything his only fault is being unwilling to transfer out and take a massive paycut. Any of us willing to do the same job for significantly less money just to please our employer? 

Daka was brought in to be Jamie Vardy 2.0. Well, unfortunately Jamie Vardy 1.0 doesn't exactly work in the current system either. We can't force a square peg in a round hole and blame the peg for being square. Soumare has shown flashes, but like Tielemans I get the feeling he is not the type of player that will fare well in England. 

For me the blame is on Rudkin and the front office, not the players themselves. 

• Like 3

http://sportwitness.co.uk/likely-closed-confidence-leicester-man-will-depart-club-make-bid-player-wants-leave/

Sevilla are confident of doing a deal for Leicester City midfielder Boubakary Soumaré as they continue their summer rebuild under Victor Orta.

That’s according to Vamos Mi Sevilla, who say a deal for the Leicester man is the ‘most likely to be closed’ as the Spanish side eye up various midfielders.

The website explains that Sevilla are set for a frantic end to the transfer window as several more first team players look likely to depart and will need to be replaced.

The La Liga side face the prospect of needing to make at least five more signings before the end of the window in two weeks’ time and some positions are more advanced than others.

One of the areas they want to add to is midfield, where the centre of the park is lacking ‘physicality’and needs to improve.

Soumaré is one player that they are eyeing up and a report earlier this week indicated a bid had been lodged for the Leicester man, who wants to leave this summer and avoid spending a season in the Championship.

Vamos follow that up and state that potential transfer, which is one of several they are looking at in the position, is the ‘most likely to be closed’ before the end of the window.

That, of course, will depend on doing a deal with Leicester but there is a confidence that can be done, particularly with Soumaré keen to move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Notice rarely an end product, show pony loses the ball and the it’s trouble

He actually played really well for us in a spell just before the world cup and we won quite a few games then the whole club just disintegrated after that.

Having seen the good and the bad with him it's incredibly frustrating that we haven't had the right coaching set up to be able to get the most out of our asset.  The same applies to Daka and a few others.  The problem is as much the club and the culture as the players.  We're definitely failing some players by not having the skill to integrate them and make them feel at home and secure.  This has to land at Rodgers door.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

He actually played really well for us in a spell just before the world cup and we won quite a few games then the whole club just disintegrated after that.

Having seen the good and the bad with him it's incredibly frustrating that we haven't had the right coaching set up to be able to get the most out of our asset.  The same applies to Daka and a few others.  The problem is as much the club and the culture as the players.  We're definitely failing some players by not having the skill to integrate them and make them feel at home and secure.  This has to land at Rodgers door.  

And the players mentality

1 hour ago, Groby_Blue said:

Doesn't help that he appears to be two stone overweight as well. 

That’s my biggest annoyance of any player. No professional footballer should be overweight.
When you are the slowest player too it’s not a good look.