Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

The Most Embarrassing Thing Any Leicester Owners Have Done...

Just now, Daggers said:

I think it’s ok for the owners to be embarrassing - this is the city where the mayor dropped his trousers in front of a primary school. Embarrassing is what we do.

And a former poster on here, probably 80% of members will have no idea lol 

• Like 2

Under the tenure of our current owners we've achieved things I only ever dreamt of as a kid.

There's a, "Best thing our owners have done" thread.

There's a, "Most embarrassing thing our owners have done" thread.

Which one has overwhelmingly more posts?

Says more about our supporters than it does about them I feel.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Under the tenure of our current owners we've achieved things I only ever dreamt of as a kid.

There's a, "Best thing our owners have done" thread.

There's a, "Most embarrassing thing our owners have done" thread.

Which one has overwhelmingly more posts?

Says more about our supporters than it does about them I feel.

Under their tenure, yes. But their contribution wasn't as significant as that of several managers, all of which were fired, and about whom you'll find tonnes of negative posts. I mean, was it the combined 3.5m we spent on Vardy, Morgan, Drinkwater and Mahrez (with a return sometime later of nearly 100m, and a total of - what - around 1000 top flight matches) which brought the success, or the scouting network - mostly in situ before they arrived - who saw that these players were worth a whole lot more?

Boards are generally credited with success when they pay for it. We didn't do that. And if we want to credit their erstwhile excellent decision-making, but pardon their recent decision-making on the grounds that they don't really have much to do with that side of things, then surely the likes of Rudkin and even Robinson should be getting more credit for past club management than they do.

They have been a decent board, on balance, at a time when we've had a number of managers, and their players, achieve way more than their pricetags would lead you to believe. Fair play to the board for having facilitated this, but I don't see why they shouldn't get a bit of stick when they screw up. It's curious that, as the set-up we had in the first half of the last decade gradually ebbed away, so did our success. Even with the same owners and DoF.

1 hour ago, inckley fox said:

Under their tenure, yes. But their contribution wasn't as significant as that of several managers, all of which were fired, and about whom you'll find tonnes of negative posts. I mean, was it the combined 3.5m we spent on Vardy, Morgan, Drinkwater and Mahrez (with a return sometime later of nearly 100m, and a total of - what - around 1000 top flight matches) which brought the success, or the scouting network - mostly in situ before they arrived - who saw that these players were worth a whole lot more?

Boards are generally credited with success when they pay for it. We didn't do that. And if we want to credit their erstwhile excellent decision-making, but pardon their recent decision-making on the grounds that they don't really have much to do with that side of things, then surely the likes of Rudkin and even Robinson should be getting more credit for past club management than they do.

They have been a decent board, on balance, at a time when we've had a number of managers, and their players, achieve way more than their pricetags would lead you to believe. Fair play to the board for having facilitated this, but I don't see why they shouldn't get a bit of stick when they screw up. It's curious that, as the set-up we had in the first half of the last decade gradually ebbed away, so did our success. Even with the same owners and DoF.

I don't deny there have been mistakes, but there are over five times as many posts in this thread.

17 hours ago, Daggers said:

I think it’s ok for the owners to be embarrassing - this is the city where the mayor dropped his trousers in front of a primary school. Embarrassing is what we do.

Has to be one of Leicester's greatest moment that, cheers Col!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I don't deny there have been mistakes, but there are over five times as many posts in this thread.

Personally, I took this thread as being about all of our past owners. And not all of them have been as good as this lot, whatever their flaws might be... So that could be the explanation!

38 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

Personally, I took this thread as being about all of our past owners. And not all of them have been as good as this lot, whatever their flaws might be... So that could be the explanation!

Yeah, I have noticed that, but most seem to be laying into the current. When you can remember some of our former owners, Shipman, Elsom...

1 minute ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Yeah, I have noticed that, but most seem to be laying into the current. When you can remember some of our former owners, Shipman, Elsom...

The Shipmans... I'm no expert here, but was that a family legacy which went awry? The initial investment in, I think, the 50s helped to save the club. They oversaw those 60s/70s regimes, and we even broke a national transfer record. But, if I recall what I was told correctly, Len Shipman was accused by his own fans of prioritising his league role over that of chairman of the club, and when belts were tightened post-McLintock there was little patience for his son, Terry. To me they were shocking owners, but you could also say that they were modestly wealthy local co-owners who gave four or five decades of their lives to the club.

As for Elsom, again, awful owner - but heralded as a hero for taking O'Neill's side against the 'Gang of Four' and sanctioning the 2001 spending spree.

So if it is going wrong for Top, he'd just be another fallen hero like the Bloors, Shipmans, Needhams, Elsoms, Mandarics (I'll be kind to Martin George!) and so on. At least Top has something to show for it though!

• Like 2

On 23/07/2023 at 17:00, Paninistickers said:

Back to the theme, I recall John Elsom - who blocked Martin O'Neil's wish to go to Leeds - at a press conference to gleefully announce MON was staying 'as manager of Manchester City'. 

Our own chairman not knowing the name of his own club! 

If I remember correctly, his actual words were "Martin is staying at Citeh! :ph34r:

22 hours ago, Daggers said:

The same mayor who also welcomed Vichai and Top to their first City league game - and was personally thanked by Vichai in Bruges six years later?

He still lives rent-free in some folk's heads after 13 years.. lol

6 minutes ago, accessory said:

The same mayor who also welcomed Vichai and Top to their first City league game - and was personally thanked by Vichai in Bruges six years later?

He still lives rent-free in some folk's heads after 13 years.. lol

It was a joke, Colin.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, inckley fox said:

The Shipmans... I'm no expert here, but was that a family legacy which went awry? The initial investment in, I think, the 50s helped to save the club. They oversaw those 60s/70s regimes, and we even broke a national transfer record. But, if I recall what I was told correctly, Len Shipman was accused by his own fans of prioritising his league role over that of chairman of the club, and when belts were tightened post-McLintock there was little patience for his son, Terry. To me they were shocking owners, but you could also say that they were modestly wealthy local co-owners who gave four or five decades of their lives to the club.

As for Elsom, again, awful owner - but heralded as a hero for taking O'Neill's side against the 'Gang of Four' and sanctioning the 2001 spending spree.

So if it is going wrong for Top, he'd just be another fallen hero like the Bloors, Shipmans, Needhams, Elsoms, Mandarics (I'll be kind to Martin George!) and so on. At least Top has something to show for it though!

The Shipmans were of their time. Like the Edwards family at Man U or Peter Swales at Man City or the Littlewoods family at Liverpool. 

As you said, there's an element of Vichai with Len Shipman and Top with Terry. Terry was well-meaning I guess but out of his depth as football began to accelerate with Jack Walker at Blackburn, John Wahtshisnamen at Newcastle,  David Dein at Arsenal and Alan Sugar at Spurs. Business and money were overtaking the old committee style. 

• Like 1

The vote for the name change, when the club were discussing to rename us back to Leicester Fosse, thank god the fans were sensible come to the huge vote, think it was 80 to 20 in favour of keeping us as City. Times were difficult as it was at the time without us renaming us back to old Victorian name. Can't do many chants with Leicester Fosse.  

24 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

The vote for the name change, when the club were discussing to rename us back to Leicester Fosse, thank god the fans were sensible come to the huge vote, think it was 80 to 20 in favour of keeping us as City. Times were difficult as it was at the time without us renaming us back to old Victorian name. Can't do many chants with Leicester Fosse.  

Boss

Toss

Chaos

Ball knocked across

Loss

Cross

Matt and Luke Goss

Moss

The players painted the toilets with semi-gloss

And Wellens offered all the benefits of a drunk one-legged albatross

Better than City imo

The Jamie vardy mask thing was pretty cringe.

Pink trucker caps at Chelsea away was also very odd.

Coconuts after a home game is pure bizarre like someone up there has been on an acid trip and gone…. You know what we need? Round coconuts with straws in after a relegation 6 pointer with Bournemouth.

focussing attention on marketing a new kit as we are about to be relegated

the last 3 years with contract situations. Allowing arguably 2-300m (at one point) of talent go for 78m. 

the way we played at Roma away knocking it around at the back for the last 30 seconds like it was the second minute of a match

1 hour ago, SystonFox said:

Pink trucker caps at Chelsea away was also very odd.

I enjoyed this purely because of how many people it seemed to really rattle just because the hat was pink lol

Edited by moore_94
  • Haha 1