Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Barnes joins Newcastle

11 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

People slagging him is so odd lol, I’m gutted personally, think he could’ve been a one club man. It’s a disgrace we’ve put ourselves in this situation 

I like Barnes but if he wanted to be here that long why would he only of signed a 4 year contract like Tielemans and Maddison? After two seasons the power shifts to the player

12 hours ago, Foreverfox said:

There's a reason he was one of the  first names on the team sheet for the majority of the last few years.

Those saying he was shit I fear will.soon realise what a player we actually had. 

The people saying he was shit aint actually seen proper shit from 15 years ago etc god help them if they after see proper shit at our football club once again 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, South Shire Fox said:

I like Barnes but if he wanted to be here that long why would he only of signed a 4 year contract like Tielemans and Maddison? After two seasons the power shifts to the player

Probably one of the strangest comments in the thread. 

What did you want him to do? Ask the club to give him a 10+ year contract and do himself out of any potential pay rises etc 

29 minutes ago, Messi said:

Probably one of the strangest comments in the thread. 

What did you want him to do? Ask the club to give him a 10+ year contract and do himself out of any potential pay rises etc 

Who said anything about 10 year plus contracts? Most of our players under 25 who weve bought/ given contract extensions are 5 years to protect our asset. When the player enters the last 2 years the power shifts to the player when it comes to transfers. Maddison signed a 4 year one and within 2 years we feared losing him 

Edited by South Shire Fox

Just now, South Shire Fox said:

Who said anything about 10 year plus contracts? Most of our players under 25 who weve bought/ given contract extensions are 5 years to protect our asset. When the player enters the last 2 years the power shifts to the player when it comes to transfers

You need to realise the power is always with the player these days - we witnessed that first hand last summer with Fofana. 

13 minutes ago, Corky said:

I can see him returning one day. Think he'll feel there is more to do here.

Give it 2-3 years and as long as we are back up I reckon he would be easy to bring back from Newcastle as they will have spent a load of Saudi pounds on someone else

I will miss him.

However part of me suspects this isn't the wrench for him we'd like to think. He's got two years left and could refuse the transfer. The club isn't going to fold on the strength of his wages and without his transfer fee - unlike the Piper transfer - and having him in the squad makes promotion significantly more likely.

We'd like to be misty eyed over this and spin the 'we just couldn't keep him' narrative but the reality is that there isn't as pressing need to sell him. It's not imperative. The money we've saved on a years wages has to be spent anyway.

I'm not saying I blame him or have any animosity but this isn't exactly Casablanca.

Edited by foxile5

11 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I will miss him.

However part of me suspects this isn't the wrench for him we'd like to think. He's got two years left and could refuse the transfer. The club isn't going to fold on the strength of his wages and without his transfer fee - unlike the Piper transfer - and having him in the squad makes promotion significantly more likely.

We'd like to be misty eyed over this and spin the 'we just couldn't keep him' narrative but the reality is that there isn't as pressing need to sell him. It's not imperative. The money we've saved on a years wages has to be spent anyway.

I'm not saying I blame him or have any animosity but this isn't exactly Casablanca.

But we didn't, so we were happy to sell it seems. As for the financial and sporting strategy involved, we can only speculate.

I suspect there is a human or honourable side to this as well, just like when we let Kasper leave. Something that in hindsight was not dealt with adequately on the sporting side.

A club like ours need to have a reputation of allowing top talent to go to top teams when the opportunity is beneficial for all parties.

It's a no-brainer for Barnes - being part of a team on the rise and playing on the biggest stage. He will have realistic ambitions of getting back into the England squad as well now.

17 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Was watching the songs earlier and a young HB popped up, shame the club felt the need to get rid of a younger player who experienced this time in our history first hand.

Its a lovely story that Barnes got to experience that and have his own success with us, but I don't buy into this notion we should be handing on to everyone who played or was in the youth setup in that era. We need to get better at moving players on, and even if we had stayed in the PL i think this would have been the right time to move Barnes on.

5 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Its a lovely story that Barnes got to experience that and have his own success with us, but I don't buy into this notion we should be handing on to everyone who played or was in the youth setup in that era. We need to get better at moving players on, and even if we had stayed in the PL i think this would have been the right time to move Barnes on.

Not everyone but certainly the best players like Barnes 

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I will miss him.

Whilst player power is now obviously huge in the prem, if a club wants a player out he can’t really refuse. If you’re told you’re off, you’re off. 

This will go down has one of the most unnecessary transfers in our history..

It seems he is a top player who really did want to stay..

IMO That's worth more with his ability than 3 new players at let's say £12- 14mil a piece. Grave mistake on forcing the issue...Another reason not to trust the old remnants of management that have stayed & carry on making dicky descisions..

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

He is doing excellent at Newcastle already. Even better than at the Foxes. Seems more mature. The Rodgers inspired strings are coming off and he reminds me of his potential from the days he was at WBA. He regressed during Rodgers days despite still doing well with his regular goals and assists, but he became too one dimensional. He is going to be a much improved player under Howe and an absolute bargain for Newcastle (at our expense).

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

On 25/07/2023 at 21:33, fuchsntf said:

This will go down has one of the most unnecessary transfers in our history..

It seems he is a top player who really did want to stay..

IMO That's worth more with his ability than 3 new players at let's say £12- 14mil a piece. Grave mistake on forcing the issue...Another reason not to trust the old remnants of management that have stayed & carry on making dicky descisions..

The club has made some terrible decisions with transfers and player contracts in the past 3-4 years. This is gross mismanagement to let Barnes go for such a low price and who is not only young still but a true Leicester boy. I can understand with selling Maddison with only one more year left on his contract and he would want to go, but I doubt we could not have convinced Barnes to stay for another year at least to help us out. Should have otherwise held on to at least 50m in today’s inflated market.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

He is doing excellent at Newcastle already. Even better than at the Foxes. Seems more mature. The Rodgers inspired strings are coming off and he reminds me of his potential from the days he was at WBA. He regressed during Rodgers days despite still doing well with his regular goals and assists, but he became too one dimensional. He is going to be a much improved player under Howe and an absolute bargain for Newcastle (at our expense).

He could well fly now into the England reckoning…not because of club,but his performances IMO will shoot up…

On 24/07/2023 at 15:07, South Shire Fox said:

He's got a right to get the best financial deal for himself, there's liking being here and then there's being financially stupid