Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Barnes joins Newcastle

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

After one game.

He was here for a lot longer than that. He was the biggest reason for 3+ years that we were scoring goals in the Premier League, either directly, or as a result of him being doubled up on every week. His first game showed exactly what a threat he can be 1v1, something he never had the opportunity to have here, because he's got Isak/Wilson/Guimares/Tonali/Joelinton/Almiron/Gordon who have the quality so that he gets more space.

He's got a coach now who seemingly improves players, Eddie Howe got Almiron and Joelinton to turn from duds, to players having a huge impact in getting the top 4. As we saw in all their first games, Barnes and Maddison are the big players that were let down by a useless Tielemans for us. Obviously the manager destroyed us, but had he got rid of Tielemans he may have lasted longer in the job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DionDublinsThirdLeg said:

He was here for a lot longer than that. He was the biggest reason for 3+ years that we were scoring goals in the Premier League, either directly, or as a result of him being doubled up on every week. His first game showed exactly what a threat he can be 1v1, something he never had the opportunity to have here, because he's got Isak/Wilson/Guimares/Tonali/Joelinton/Almiron/Gordon who have the quality so that he gets more space.

He's got a coach now who seemingly improves players, Eddie Howe got Almiron and Joelinton to turn from duds, to players having a huge impact in getting the top 4. As we saw in all their first games, Barnes and Maddison are the big players that were let down by a useless Tielemans for us. Obviously the manager destroyed us, but had he got rid of Tielemans he may have lasted longer in the job.

Just needs the ball played into space and his speed will usually result in either a goal or assist. Big miss for us.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, murphy said:

Seeing Barnes score for Newcastle hurts my soul.  Don't care about TIelemans, don't care about Maddison but we should have pulled out all the stops to keep Barnes and all but guaranteed promotion.  Instead we took a derisory offer and even if we do get promoted anyway, we'll never be able to afford to buy a player like Barnes when we get there.

all but guaranteed promotion ,so that would of made us 1/100 , or even 1/10 to get promotion if Barnes stayed, and there is no saying we would of won the first two games  we are now evens for promotion , and a lot of that is to do with the big part Mavididi has played

39 minutes ago, murphy said:

Seeing Barnes score for Newcastle hurts my soul.  Don't care about TIelemans, don't care about Maddison but we should have pulled out all the stops to keep Barnes and all but guaranteed promotion.  Instead we took a derisory offer and even if we do get promoted anyway, we'll never be able to afford to buy a player like Barnes when we get there.

100% this

At least we can cling to the hope that Braybrooke and Alves may be local superstars of the (near) future, and hopefully we'll be in a better place by then to keep hold of them 🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

You never know, a few seasons from now he might be surplus for Newcastle and comes back to the promised land.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Well he didn’t guarantee our Premier League status, so I don’t know how you could say he would guarantee us promotion. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Viva said:

Well he didn’t guarantee our Premier League status, so I don’t know how you could say he would guarantee us promotion. 

I said all but guarantee and it's just my opinion.  We were relegated for many, many reasons last season but Barnes wasn't one of them.  Wingers that can score 13 goals in the Premier League are like gold dust.   

Also, he wasn't playing in The Championship last season,  I think that HB would carve through it like a hot knife through butter.

6 minutes ago, murphy said:

I said all but guarantee and it's just my opinion.  We were relegated for many, many reasons last season but Barnes wasn't one of them.  Wingers that can score 13 goals in the Premier League are like gold dust.   

Also, he wasn't playing in The Championship last season,  I think that HB would carve through it like a hot knife through butter.

He equalled his assist tally for the whole of last season in 10 minutes last night. 

Yes he scored goals, but was poor in other ways and was a contributing factor to our relegation like many other players. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, murphy said:

He had one season, last season, where he scored double figures in the league. He hasn’t scored 13 consistently. Before that the best he returned was 9.

2 hours ago, Swalshed said:

100% this

At least we can cling to the hope that Braybrooke and Alves may be local superstars of the (near) future, and hopefully we'll be in a better place by then to keep hold of them 🤞

Braybrooke :celebrate:

It’s tough to see Barnes at Newcastle, but not sure why he couldn’t of changed his celebration to ease it slightly.. strange thinking I know.. 

• Like 2

Suits Newcastle more than he'd suit us as a lower half prem team.

He's not good enough to excel when doubled up on, but afford him the space he's likely to get in better teams and he'll run riot.

Not only is he less effective in a poorer side, he loses the ball and doesn't track back. So he becomes a very frustrating component of poor teams. It's one of the reasons we conceded so many last year.

I'm not suggesting Mavididi is a better player than him at all, but Stephy will probably suit us better next season in the Prem than Barnes would, assuming of course that we operate in the lower half. We may do better than that. Assuming we get there at all (!!)

We should still have him because we should still be a top half prem team pushing for Europa spots (or more in a good year), but that ship sailed long ago. Thanks again, Brendan, Top. Etc.

Better for all concerned that we let him go in the end. Nice to see him start well.

Edited by Nod.E
Stephy autocorrected to Stephen 🙆

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

He had one season, last season, where he scored double figures in the league. He hasn’t scored 13 consistently. Before that the best he returned was 9.

9 in just 25 league games.

In that same season (20/21) he also scored 3 in Europe and 1 in the FA Cup.  13 in all competitions over 35 games and actually better than last season - 13 in 40 games (all competitions) and for context, at a significantly better strike rate than Mahrez at Man City.

Edited by murphy

Guest BlueBrett

Umm he scored the fifth goal with 2 mins to go in a 5-1 win? 

Then pounded the Newcastle badge on his chest and awkwardly pointed at his own name before quickly remembering he's a substitute.

Of course he would have torn up the championship but dry your eyes lads he's not that good

4 hours ago, BlueBrett said:

Umm he scored the fifth goal with 2 mins to go in a 5-1 win? 

Then pounded the Newcastle badge on his chest and awkwardly pointed at his own name before quickly remembering he's a substitute.

Of course he would have torn up the championship but dry your eyes lads he's not that good

I saw that about tapping the badge, looked to me like he went to, then realised where he was and stopped it and then did his arrow celebration. Don't see him kissing the badge any time soon. 

With the space the quick attacking football Newcastle play, Harvey is going to be a constant threat and score a load. 

I hope he does well, one that was sold because we needed to sell him rather than him forcing a move.