Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Barnes joins Newcastle

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

Definitely.   At most, you should only be able to reference your parents, not your grandparents ... and I reckon even parents is pushing it a bit, when you were born in a country, lived your whole life there, supported the national team and consider yourself that nationality.

My solution would be this ... when you get to 21 years old, you have to fill out a form saying what you consider your nationality.   That's it.   No changing after that.

That’s a very outdated view of nationality.

People move country, parents divorce, family members die, people fall in love with people from other countries, people divorce and move back to their previous country, people lose contact with one side of their family, people reconnect with other sides of their family or reconnect with the country they grew up in etc. etc. all that is bound to change how a person views themself. Many people don’t identify as one nationality at all any more. The idea you have to have a fixed unchanging view of your nationality, choose between the country of your father or mother at 18 or 21 is not living in the real world.

The idea that a person can’t change the nation they represent mid-career in 2023 is kind of dumb, in most other sports an athlete can. Plenty of people have 2 or 3 passports nowadays now. In 4 or 5 generations time humans will probably all have 8 passports if nations states even exist then. 

International football is kind of an outdated concept as it is anyway 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Barnes was never good enough for England anyway. Consider that Foden doesn't even get a look in on the left.

So your argument is based on having a useless cvnt of a manager.

A typical England manager that only uses players from the big 6. Only uses players he's used for ages unless injured. Tries nothing new.

The above is nothing new as it's what the fa want. The main reason I don't even watch qualifiers anymore.

The whole system is stale, yet people still pay to see it.

I'd rather go watch park football.

I'm eligible to play for Wales because one of my grandparents was born there in 1912, even though he left for good in 1935, and neither I or my parents have ever lived there.  The one grandparent rule gives the smaller nations a bigger pool of players to choose from, and it helps players who can't get into the team of bigger countries, but I still think it's a bit naff.  

• Like 1

...Imagine having a player like Giggs, Rush, Hughes, Best or Dalglish playing for your national team!!!

How many times has these players been to a World Cup or major tournaments, and just switching allegiance would have made a massive difference to their international careers.

You know your allegiance from a young age, money muddies the water, where you know where, going to England is a more lucrative choice  and big tournaments are on the horizon. But if all it comes down to is money, then it is a shallow existence. 

4 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Definitely.   At most, you should only be able to reference your parents, not your grandparents ... and I reckon even parents is pushing it a bit, when you were born in a country, lived your whole life there, supported the national team and consider yourself that nationality.

My solution would be this ... when you get to 21 years old, you have to fill out a form saying what you consider your nationality.   That's it.   No changing after that.

I can just about agree with the parents and grandparents rule. I think that once you have made a senior appearance for a country you should not be able to swap even if the game was a friendly.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I can just about agree with the parents and grandparents rule. I think that once you have made a senior appearance for a country you should not be able to swap even if the game was a friendly.

I agree with this. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Winchesterfox said:

I'm eligible to play for Wales because one of my grandparents was born there in 1912, even though he left for good in 1935, and neither I or my parents have ever lived there.  The one grandparent rule gives the smaller nations a bigger pool of players to choose from, and it helps players who can't get into the team of bigger countries, but I still think it's a bit naff.  

You may be eligible, but are you good enough?

Oh yeah, I forgot... Wales.

I touched on it in the Euro qualifiers thread but...

Being Scottish, I'd obviously be delighted with this as it massively improves our talent pool but I wouldn't be so sure that he walks straight into our team. 

Obviously he's good enough to, he'd be one of our best players but to accommodate him, we would need to change our system and there isn't really a way to do it without losing some of our other better players. 

I would go as far as to add that playing Barnes in his strongest position actually weakens us as a team. Playing through the middle as a striker or just off the striker could work though. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Poznan34 said:

On the verge of qualifying for a finals and he fancies it now! Not sure how I'd feel about that if I were a Scotland supporter! 

A bit short-sighted from Barnes as Southgate will go after Euros and with a CL season under his belt it will be a different situation under whoever comes in

I just took at as a bit of a desperate action to force his selection for England. Probably agent at it again..

Edited by MPH

8 hours ago, Winchesterfox said:

Despite being born in the Infirmary and only ever having been over there twice for piss-up purposes, I'm an Irish citizen with 2 passports.

Not because my paternal grandmother was Irish, born in Ireland to Irish parents, and emigrated to Manchester in her youth. That wouldn't actually qualify me unless I was specifically registered as an Irish person born abroad.

No, I didn't have to jump through any hoops because my English mother happened to be born in Ireland while her English parents were there, which automatically makes me an Irish citizen.

Mad that the circumstance of birth trumps generations of family living and dying there, but such are the quirks of nationality.

21 hours ago, sylofox said:

So your argument is based on having a useless cvnt of a manager.

A typical England manager that only uses players from the big 6. Only uses players he's used for ages unless injured. Tries nothing new.

The above is nothing new as it's what the fa want. The main reason I don't even watch qualifiers anymore.

The whole system is stale, yet people still pay to see it.

I'd rather go watch park football.

No, my argument is based on the fact Barnes is not as good as Foden or Grealish.