Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Barnes joins Newcastle

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

He describes Newcastle as an “attackers dream” lol bloke scored more than 10 PL league goals once despite playing in a team that finished 5th twice.

Wait we are going to “he was never even good anyway” right off the bat?

• Haha 1

A sale to Newcastle does offer a route back to us for him if we manage to sort ourselves out. The trajectory they are on looks like it will give players a fairly short shelf life. 

Gutted to see him go. I can see the logic in it but think he'd have been great in the system for us and fired us back up.

• Like 4

Just now, Beechey said:

Took longer than I thought tbf, made it to page 2.

I'll be one to admit, I've given Barnes some stick on here over the years, as he did have a tenancy to go missing to the point of forgetting he was even on the pitch in probably more than 50% of games.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying that I struggle to remember coming away from many games saying "Barnes played well"....

BUT...

He did manage good stats, he scored some important goals, he's served us well, and like others have said, genuinely believe if we had stayed up, he would have stayed.

• Like 2

Just now, Beechey said:

He got to a point and never progressed, probably went backwards to be honest,  obviously Howe will be a better coach than Brendan king of the north Rodgers so he might get him to realise the potential.

• Like 2

He wouldn't have gone if we'd stayed up and he can be unbelievable on his day. Local lad, too. I definitely wish him well.

That said, it's a great wedge of money and he can be frustratingly inconsistent. 

Good.luck Harvey. Needs must. It should be a good move for him and us as we can balance the books a bit and/or tweak the squad. I have seen comments on here that we could buy 3 class players with 10 million so by that reckoning we should be able to bring 10 to 12!

Must mean they have sold or just about to sell asm for extra my the same fee they are buying Barnes for. Shame they got taken over when they did or no one would have been bothered about going to them and they would probably be in the championship now or just yo yo in the league. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Really sad to see him go.

Could have easily been here for his entire career had we not been relegated.

We now have pretty much 0 goals and 0 creativity in the team!

We definitely need to get some attacking mids and possibly a striker or two in, but the wedge we've got from Maddison and Barnes means we're likely to have a huge war chest by Championship standards. It all depends how Maresca uses it.

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

How much we get? 

Enough to make Dyche arsy? 

£38m I heard.

That and the Maddison fee means we will have the biggest transfer budget in the league and probably don't need to sell any other key players. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I find this to be a rather sad transfer. Kante and Mahrez, great players but we were only ever stepping stones for them. Tielemans checked out mentally from Leicester years ago. Maddison a great player but it's all about brand Maddison. Harvey Barnes came from the academy, did multiple loan spells, then forced his way into the first team and stayed there. Never complained, never pined for a move away, just got his head down and got on with it. He's someone I thought would be with us for 10+ years and leave as legend with over 100 goals scored for the club. Would we have sold him if we weren't relegated? I don't think so. It's a sad reflection of bad decisions and performances on the pitch.

I think it says it all that whilst Maddison and Tielemans were the ones that wanted Champions League moves, the one that never kicked up a fuss is the one that will actually play in it. How's it going for Wesley Fofana, another one who couldn't wait to leave? Perhaps there's a lesson there to be learned for all prospective new signings.

Best of luck Harvey for the future, and thanks for everything you did. A frustrating player to watch at times, but easily the best player we've produced since Heskey, and IMO a much better player than the aforementioned.

I hope he gets applause from the fans when he returns to play against us. He deserves it.

Agree with all of that, would only add other than the point re him getting UCL football, I'm gutted its Newcastle, as I'd like him to do well but i want them to do abysmally...

This really hits home the mess we have made of our situation 2/3 years ago - selling Barnes to Newcastle out of necessity would have been unthinkable then.

• Like 1

If someone can coach him to make his first touch more positive and fill him full of confidence he'll be a great player. He was unstoppable for us in the right mood, and had plenty more to give us. What a shame he's gone before we wanted. 

The concern now is having very little creativity and attacking threat in the squad. The next two weeks need to pay Mr Rudkin.