Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesWalk

Harry Souttar

On 04/09/2023 at 09:56, longy said:

That's exactly right.

I refuse to believe a professional footballer isn't capable of playing a basic 5-10 yard pass with confidence.

It's incredibly frustrating.

To be fair to Harry he is very decent with his feet and is calm for his age. His passing was seen as one of his plus points as well as his ability in the air. I share your frustration. 

if also like to see justin back playing but that may be a good thing just easing him back in. It’s difficult to know without being in the inside as to what really goes on. 

• 2 months later...

Do we think there could yet be a place for souttar in this team? 

Vestergarde has been a revelation and it feels bad to be taking aim at his position right now.  But I can’t help but wonder if  his success, let’s us know that pace is not essential for the role.  I think Souttar is under rated on the ball, I think he’s far from a hoof it merchant and whilst it’s not a core strength, it’s something that could be worked on.

Looking at the bigger picture, i think it’s evident that jannik won’t be here much longer and in truth that’s the right call. We won’t get away with his antics in the prem, those consistent yellow card offences won’t occur once a game, they will be 3 times a game… and he would become a liability.  

So we are perhaps in a place to work on the evolution and whilst that is more likely to be coady, the swap of coady and vesty leaves us seriously lacking in height. If i was rhe boss, i’d be making harry my project, because of all the resources available, he’s the one that i feel if you get playing your way would be absolutely huge.  He’s got a magnet head like maguire and if you could get him really comfortable on the ball, you’d be working towards a managers dream. 

I will always have questions around what could have been if he doesn’t get a proper shot here. 

The performances last season against brentford and newcastle were enough for me to know that there’s a pretty stellar player in there. I’d just love for him to make it here 

• Like 4

On 17/11/2023 at 19:46, Lambert09 said:

Do we think there could yet be a place for souttar in this team? 

Vestergarde has been a revelation and it feels bad to be taking aim at his position right now.  But I can’t help but wonder if  his success, let’s us know that pace is not essential for the role.  I think Souttar is under rated on the ball, I think he’s far from a hoof it merchant and whilst it’s not a core strength, it’s something that could be worked on.

Looking at the bigger picture, i think it’s evident that jannik won’t be here much longer and in truth that’s the right call. We won’t get away with his antics in the prem, those consistent yellow card offences won’t occur once a game, they will be 3 times a game… and he would become a liability.  

So we are perhaps in a place to work on the evolution and whilst that is more likely to be coady, the swap of coady and vesty leaves us seriously lacking in height. If i was rhe boss, i’d be making harry my project, because of all the resources available, he’s the one that i feel if you get playing your way would be absolutely huge.  He’s got a magnet head like maguire and if you could get him really comfortable on the ball, you’d be working towards a managers dream. 

I will always have questions around what could have been if he doesn’t get a proper shot here. 

The performances last season against brentford and newcastle were enough for me to know that there’s a pretty stellar player in there. I’d just love for him to make it here 

His passing was the first thing i noticed about him at the world cup.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2023 at 19:46, Lambert09 said:

I think Souttar is under rated on the ball, I think he’s far from a hoof it merchant and whilst it’s not a core strength, it’s something that could be worked on.

Lewis Dunk has been successfully upskilled at Brighton to perform that role. 

And, undoubtedly, promotion would see us needing to defend deep far more often in the nature of Newcastle away. And as you say, those sides that like to use a big man to play off  it - Forest, Brentford, West Ham amongst others - Souttar is far better equipped than Vesty

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I am very surprised Harry is not playing for us regularly, he has been immense in internationals scoring 3 goals in his last 4 games. he got good feet and has a good pass in him and at 6 foot 5 inches he totally dominates in the air.

I also understand the Manager has his favourites but just hasn't been given a chance!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, grumpy old git said:

I am very surprised Harry is not playing for us regularly, he has been immense in internationals scoring 3 goals in his last 4 games. he got good feet and has a good pass in him and at 6 foot 5 inches he totally dominates in the air.

I also understand the Manager has his favourites but just hasn't been given a chance!

Who would you drop for him as Vestergaard and Faes have been outstanding this year. I don't see Maresca as having favourites, until they drop off in form, I'd say Faes and Vestergaard are playing on merit.

• Like 2

Scoring is never a bad thing but come on, he's scored against Bangladesh and Palestine in the competitive fixtures and New Zealand and Mexico in friendlies. It's not particularly important or relevant to us if Enzo thinks the other pair are better. Can you imagine Maresca thinking to himself "Y'know Big Harry just nodded one in in a 7-0 rout of a national side with a  professional league that's probably about National League North level. I wonder who I should drop to fit him in?"

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BKLFox said:

I don’t wanna be that guy but Harry Kane has scored 62 international goals, 4 v Germany and 2 a piece v Italy & France then the rest v ??

Sounds like this article could be for you…

“A step-by-step guide to show Harry Kane has actually scored precisely zero proper goals for England”

https://www.football365.com/news/handy-guide-harry-kane-precisely-zero-england-goals

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jammie82uk said:

Sounds like this article could be for you…

“A step-by-step guide to show Harry Kane has actually scored precisely zero proper goals for England”

https://www.football365.com/news/handy-guide-harry-kane-precisely-zero-england-goals

My comment was in response to our Harry being pulled up for only scoring against lesser sides, using Kane as an example shows you can only score against what’s in front of you

1 hour ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

He’s got more about him than Coady I would say

I haven't seen much of Coady for us to have that opinion, but I do rate Souttar highly. Very different defenders though, Souttar is more of that wide centre back, where Faes has excelled and Coady is more of that middle vocal leader - unfortunately for him Vestergod is playing out of his skin 

Edited by scinnell

Vesty will get his next yellow card v shortly and be suspended for 2 games.  Could be Souttar's chance, but then Coady maybe more likely to get the nod.  Of course, there's the FA Cup game coming up fairly soon so that's another opportunity to give Souttar a go.

Personally I'd like to see him given a shot as I agree with the view that, of our current CBs, he might be th one most likely to be able to step up to prem level next season.

3 hours ago, deep blue said:

Vesty will get his next yellow card v shortly and be suspended for 2 games.  Could be Souttar's chance, but then Coady maybe more likely to get the nod.  Of course, there's the FA Cup game coming up fairly soon so that's another opportunity to give Souttar a go.

Personally I'd like to see him given a shot as I agree with the view that, of our current CBs, he might be th one most likely to be able to step up to prem level next season.

Pretty sure the cards have been re set

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2023 at 18:15, MGLCFC said:

Who would you drop for him as Vestergaard and Faes have been outstanding this year. I don't see Maresca as having favourites, until they drop off in form, I'd say Faes and Vestergaard are playing on merit.

Look I stood up for Vestergaard last year when Rogers had him training on his own, every body was saying he is rubbish a waste of money, Now look at him this year everyones changed there tune now!

A good player does not just become a bad over night, its managers who have there favourits they make these problems. Now I standing up for Soutter he is just going though what Vestergaard went though last year with Rogers in charge. Soutter was a very good player when we brought him and he still is a very good player now again its just the manager who has changed.

Edited by grumpy old git

12 minutes ago, grumpy old git said:

Look I stood up for Vestergaard last year when Rogers had him training on his own, every body was saying he is rubbish a waste of money, Now look at him this year everyones changed there tune now!

A good player does not just become a bad over night, its managers who have there favourits they make these problems. Now I standing up for Soutter he is just going though what Vestergaard went though last year with Rogers in charge. Soutter was a very good player when we brought him and he still is a very good player now again its just the manager who has changed.

Below average PL players can look good overnight if you get relegated though! lol

Vestergaard and Faes are in that tier of players that can probably get by in the Prem, but that’s about it. I’d be very concerned about relying on them next year if we do go up.

Can’t really comment on Souttar, as we haven’t seen enough of him.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, grumpy old git said:

But I'm not disputing that Soutter isn't a good player - I'm challenging the logic of him starting in front of Vestergaard or Faes at present.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

But I'm not disputing that Soutter isn't a good player - I'm challenging the logic of him starting in front of Vestergaard or Faes at present.

He has been here long enough for the staff to form an opinion, imagine if he gets no games over the busy Christmas period, he is not judged good enough for the style required.