Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NewEnglandFox

Stoppage Time

It's working great so far as it's already cut down on the feigning injuries, kicking/throwing the ball in the opposite direction for free kicks, or just trying to break the game up every 2/3 minutes. Infact the only thing I can remember was a few slow walks over to corners in the first half by Coventry, but Maddison did that every time we had one so 🤷‍♂️

Psychologically going to take some getting used to.

Before once you got to 90 mins, you think we're almost there.

Now the 90th minute is more like the 80th minute. It was tough having such a long injury time, but as we see it more and more, people will adapt.

Given there is so much injury time now, a far neater solution is similar to rugby and just pause the clock when the referee stops his watch. I guess the only issue there is how do you display it in less advanced grounds? 

One thing I don’t understand - why is the time almost all added at the end of the second half?  1 minute in first half, 9 in second?  Or was that a bit of an anomaly and that really how much is lost through 3 goals and several substitutions?  Coz there was very little else, the game flowed with very little time wasting and no lengthy stoppages for injuries I can recall. If this was 9 minutes games in the Premier League with VAR are going to go on for ever.

6 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Most teams have a clock on the score board don’t they ?

I guess you mean one that can be stopped ?

Now they do show the injury time period too as part of the new guidelines.

Brilliant development that is. Stops the ref making up the time as they go along!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Royston. said:

I'm all for this but it still gives you a chance to time waste.

If a team is under a lot of pressure then going down "injured" to break the momentum and give everyone a breather and still get the extra 5/6 minutes added on later.

It can still be played as you said to switch the time when momentum is different, but its better than what we had before.

25 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I get the new rules but 9 mins today? What if there has actually been some proper delays in game. We would’ve had 15 odd mins. 

exactly. if it’s meant to stop time wasting but they chuck it on even when it’s not happening than it’s not going to achieve anything 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Why is that an issue?

Cos there wasn’t anything of note and we still got 9 mins. Seems to have gone from one extreme to another. I’m all for adding time on for time wasting etc but I saw none really today, or long injury delays and only 3 goals. 

17 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

exactly. if it’s meant to stop time wasting but they chuck it on even when it’s not happening than it’s not going to achieve anything 

Agreed. Coventry made a sub during 9 mins and it took 45 seconds for ball to be in play again and ref didn’t add that on unless you count telling Dennis to hurry up and take throw in at the end then blowing as soon as he did.  

not complaining as more stoppage time = more minutes per £!

regardless, that was probably the most free flowing game I can remember in ages. don't think the physio came once during the game? as others have said - if that was worth 9 minutes, we could easily be looking at 20 minutes in other games.