Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NewEnglandFox

Stoppage Time

I like it. I've found it bizarre that in the VAR age of football (I now we don't have it in this league) that we are so petty about offsides right down to sleeves and toenails yet we have just been sticking two or three minutes on at the end of games when there has clearly been so much more time wasted than that. It was nerve shredding yesterday but I don't feel as short changed as a match-going fan. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I find it stupid.

Coventry spend most of the game time wasting, but 9 mins is added at the end, when they're losing, which allows them to have more time to score.

It will be a common theme this season, most teams are going to come and time waste against us. Perhaps aside from the likes of Southampton.

It ain't about which team it benefits, that'll change and balance itself out during the season. It benefits the fans as they pay hard earned money to  watch football so more action on the pitch is a great thing I say. 

• Like 4

I can see white a few situations this season like when Spurs beat us a couple of season back. Teams winning by a goal making all them defensive changes around the 85th min to hold out, not taking into account they will now be sitting deeper and deeper inviting pressure not for like 7 or 8 mins but for close to twenty mins sometimes. Can see a lot of late flip flopping results if managers don’t adapt to the time being added on.  

• Like 1

The cynic in me thinks this is just to benefit the top teams, if Luton are 1-0 at anfield going into added time and then have to hold on for another 11/12 minutes it just isn’t going to happen. This mixed with the 5 subs rule is just making it harder for the smaller teams to compete imo. 
Time wasting is and should be a part of the game, it’s a tactic. Yeah it’s frustrating to watch but there is no better sight for me than watching the keeper flop on the ball in the 94th minute at 1-0 up. Or Leo ulloa stuck in the corner for 15 minutes holding off 3 defenders and winning throw ins and corners. 
It’s just a foot in the door to get a stop start clock in like American sports. The best way to fix time wasting as a problem is to book the offenders quicker but the refs just don’t have the minerals til around the 91st minute 

1 minute ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

The cynic in me thinks this is just to benefit the top teams, if Luton are 1-0 at anfield going into added time and then have to hold on for another 11/12 minutes it just isn’t going to happen. This mixed with the 5 subs rule is just making it harder for the smaller teams to compete imo. 
Time wasting is and should be a part of the game, it’s a tactic. Yeah it’s frustrating to watch but there is no better sight for me than watching the keeper flop on the ball in the 94th minute at 1-0 up. Or Leo ulloa stuck in the corner for 15 minutes holding off 3 defenders and winning throw ins and corners. 
It’s just a foot in the door to get a stop start clock in like American sports. The best way to fix time wasting as a problem is to book the offenders quicker but the refs just don’t have the minerals til around the 91st minute 

Stop/start clock is the way forward.

I really do wish they would book the Nancy boys who roll over in absolute agony, then get up with a smile on their face.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

That was circumstantial though. It could have very easily been us chasing the game and you'd have wanted as much time as possible adding. 

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

How much would you have wanted had the score line been reversed?

They were the ones doing the time wasting though, that was my point. If we do time wasting (which I'm sure we will at some point) then I'd have accepted it.

It's all relative though. if Coventry score late on and make it 2-2 then you both probably agree with me. No doubt it will balance itself out over the course of the season and maybe I'm just moaning because it's new..

• Like 1

It might detract teams from time wasting if they know it will all be added on. The last two years or so have been a farce. When Arsenal beat us 1-0 last season they time wasted the whole of the second half and took it in turns rolling around injured. I do think it will bring a new dynamic with many stoppage time goals, but I hope as I say it acts as a deterrent for time wasting.

I am not sure why some are not keen on it, maybe they were in the stands and just wanted to go home, or had something to do after the game no idea.

But to me is no question is better than what we had before where teams could time waste for 20 mins a game and only 2-3 mins get added on for it.

We was winning but so what, its about a better system not just what benefits us on a per game basis, and there will be some point we will be chasing the game at the 90 min mark.

Edited by Chrysalis

1 hour ago, filthyfox said:

Stop/start clock is the way forward.

I really do wish they would book the Nancy boys who roll over in absolute agony, then get up with a smile on their face.

I understand this is pretty much a stop/start clock now. That's how the injury time is being calculated. 

12 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

It might detract teams from time wasting if they know it will all be added on. The last two years or so have been a farce. When Arsenal beat us 1-0 last season they time wasted the whole of the second half and took it in turns rolling around injured. I do think it will bring a new dynamic with many stoppage time goals, but I hope as I say it acts as a deterrent for time wasting.

They also do it to break up the play as much as possible and I can’t see how you can stop that.

7 minutes ago, David Lowe said:

They also do it to break up the play as much as possible and I can’t see how you can stop that.

They have also added a rule if a player is injured, they cant come back on immediately, I assume to discourage use of injury feign's to break up play, its only 30 seconds now, but it might get lengthened in future seasons.

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/july/28/-match-officials-adopt-new-approach-for-2023-24-season/

After the restart of play, a period of time - not less than 30 seconds - will be afforded for the player to be treated and they will not return to the pitch before this period has elapsed. As always, the player’s return to the pitch requires the referee's permission and may be delayed beyond 30 seconds if the phase of play is in the vicinity of the player looking to re-enter the pitch.

Also

In circumstances where a player declines the physio, if a team-mate clearly delays or refuses to re-start the game that team-mate will be issued a yellow card. This will promote player safety, which is of paramount importance to the match officials, and act as a deterrent to players who request attention as a tactic to waste time or break the momentum of the game.

Edited by Chrysalis

I do agree with clamping down on the time wasting but I don’t think there actually needs to be 90 minutes of action which is what they seem to be aiming for. For instance if a player makes a good clearance into the stands that is not time wasting and is just part of the game. I suppose with multi ball the break in play will never be that long anyway.

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Possibly been said but this will be an utter nightmare on midweek games for those on the rail. 

All public transport in general really, missing the last bus/train home etc. 

Also feel for those travelling away, that'll be an extra 30 minutes plus added to getting back 

3 hours ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

Interesting that it's the likes of Guardiola and Varane from the big teams that sound opposed to it - Varane said it's too much game time for the players. 

23 minutes ago, David Lowe said:

I do agree with clamping down on the time wasting but I don’t think there actually needs to be 90 minutes of action which is what they seem to be aiming for. For instance if a player makes a good clearance into the stands that is not time wasting and is just part of the game. I suppose with multi ball the break in play will never be that long anyway.

How long do you think a 90 minute match should last for then?

4 hours ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

The top teams are going to protecting leads going into stoppage time a lot more often than chasing the game.

Edited by Deeg67

2 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Possibly been said but this will be an utter nightmare on midweek games for those on the rail. 

Feels like this extra extra-time is only really being brought in for people who sit and watch at home on tele.

I know they're bringing the money in and in modern football that's apparently all that matters but ultimately it's shit for match-going fans and, most importantly, the players.

Guardiola is such a cry baby lol lol

The idea of the additional time is to stop time wasting. If you don't want your players to play 100mins each game, tell them not to take the piss time wasting or feigning injury. It's not always everyone else's fault... 

36 minutes ago, David Lowe said:

I don’t think it’s about this example or holding the ball in the corner where the ball is in play. As you say, multi ball means throw ins shouldn’t really be included. 

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Guardiola is such a cry baby lol lol

The idea of the additional time is to stop time wasting. If you don't want your players to play 100mins each game, tell them not to take the piss time wasting or feigning injury. It's not always everyone else's fault... 

And Varane! Always the big club players and managers moaning. As you say, don’t waste time and it won’t be added on!