Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Leicester 2 Coventry 1 post match thread

Alot of eyes were on us today to see how we would react from relegation 

It was sluggish and tense at times but the players performed and gave it everything

Granted some didn't play aswell as others (personally didn't think Vestergaard was as bad as others have made out, must be hard playing a highline when you know your not the quickest) 

Still alot of work to be done

But getting that first win is huge 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend folks 🦊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure it's all been said, but...

Great to leave the KP happy again. Actually, just great to be back after my ridiculous ban!

KDH class

Vardy too isolated for me

Some lovely football but lacking a cutting edge

Their finishing was woeful and we would have lost that heavily on another day

Lack of pace at the back, plus minimal protection is a worry. We'll be carved open so often if big changes aren't made. (Justin, surely?!)

Winks v tidy

I thought the 2 wingers were poor until 70 mins. 

Subs improved the side

Ricardo was my motm. He could be sensational if he stays fit.

We have to reflect on all of today and not just the result. We were lucky to win and there are half a dozen better sides than them to play.

• Like 2

Just now, copunk said:

And on an aside

We thought our attacking options were poor, think of Cov, Ellis Simms looked like a competition winner 

I thought they were dreadful to be honest. Their chances all came from our mistakes. We completely had their midfield in the first half, we just need another few games under our belts to really click. 

I thought Hamer was rubbish too, his passing is way off, he just hits the ball really hard and looks confident doing it, other than that he’s poor. And agree with Simms, how the **** is he  a footballer.

• Like 3

Not sure how people are saying Vardy had a stinker? Granted he didn’t do a lot, but that’s because the style of play doesn’t suit him rather than him having a bad game. A ‘stinker’ would be if he’d had numerous chances and missed them all.

That being said Iheanacho suits the style of play much better and should definitely start the majority of games.

Vestergaard did well, he obviously won’t play when Coady is fit but he’s more than capable in this league.

Winks was brilliant and if it weren’t for KDH’s heroics he’d have been MOTM.

Hermansen looks good, Maresca clearly wants a keeper that can use his feet and he’s got just that.

Need another winger, Mavididi grew into the game but I don’t think McAteer is ready to be a starter yet.

Ndidi did ok, but think if/when Casadei comes he’ll be dropped to the bench.

Good win, enjoyed watching us today and hopefully bodes for a successful season ahead.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LestaLad said:

Enzo labelling Hamer as the best player in the champ.. Let’s make them cov fans cry even more

Scenes when that's Enzo speak for 'we're buying him.'

Wilf can not play there, vesty terrible, Ricardo is miles better on the right, Faes is a bombscare and Nacho must start ahead of Vardy in this system playing Puelodgers ball. Somehow got a win which is all that matters I suppose, but we honked for a lot of the second half

7 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Praet has to start, he is excellent in that role over N’didi

I've always thought Praet should play more. But I'm assuming Ndidi is there to do what he used to do but 50 yards further up the pitch, as much (if not more) to stop them doing a quick transition as to be any good at passing. If it works it's a stroke of genius. With the added bonus that if (when) he does an inexplicably awful pass to the other team, it's in their half and not on the edge of our box.

• Like 2

I'm fairly encouraged by that. 

Let's not pretend it was perfect. There were some patches of poor play but I would say there were more patches of good play, albeit without that final piece of quality needed but if this is the starting point then I'm excited for the journey. 

We all know, or at least SHOULD know that it's not always going to go smoothly. A new manager, a different squad, a new system etc, will take time to implement and we saw elements of that today so we need to have patience. 

A few of my thoughts...

Vardy just isn't it. He has dropped off too much but even peak Vardy wouldn't have been effective in that role. Its far more suited to Nacho but I also think that we could use a target man. There were a lot of crosses into the box and no one to do anything about it. 

Ndidi isn't an #8. Praet was far better when he came on and I would be pretty happy with him staying as an option. 

Mcateer looks like he could be a decent squad player. Nothing flashy but decent and although it would be better for his development if he went on loan, it wouldn't be the worse if he stayed. 

I thought defensively, Doyle was good. Vesty is Vesty, his weakness' will cost us goals and although I don't think it was his worst game, I'd be happier with Souttar as a Coady replacement.

I thought Faes was fairly good but I think when we went 1-0 down, he lost his head a bit and started making wild runs. I appreciate he was trying to get us back in it but the lack of discipline could have easily cost us another goal. 

A fairly succesful debut from Mavididi. Instrumental in both goals but just before that I was starting to get frustrated with his lack of tracking back. Doyle got double teamed a couple of times and he was standing just in shot not willing to go help witch annoyed me at the time but looking back, our goals came from him being advanced as we transitioned. 

Finally, All you moaning about the over reactions in the match thread only have yourselves to blame! Most of you have been here long enough to know that the match thread is were the crazies live. 

• Like 2

Thoughts on the game.

Clearly a work in progress, but already very exciting entertaining stuff. We have 3-4 players out there that are simply too good for the league in Winks Ricardo and Nacho.

Ndidi is not a forward player. In this system I can only see him playing as a CB. All the positions forward of there need real passing skill and technical ability. As we saw from his struggles today.

CBs. We will be exposed in this position when teams start to adjust to our tactics. Vesty is slower than half the fat old men on this forum and can only be there as back up.Given the way we play I would like to see Justin as a CB. The pace he has might just save us on a few occasions. If Faes leaves then Justin can step in.

If Winks and Ricardo stay fit, we will be right up there. But the heart of our team has seen more injuries than A and E. That's a real worry for me, especially with the way they get closed down.

Mavididi looks direct and determined to get involved in pressing and defending. Wingers can drift in and out of form but he looks a real find.

Vardy doesn't suit this system. Which means that Daka, his Wish.com knock-off won't either. Nacho has to start. Nacho needs cover.

All in all a good day, but there is loads of work to be done.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Problems from last season remain but I'll forget about that for now... late comeback against this lot, buzzing. 

Don't think Vardy can lead the line in this system unfortunately, far too isolated with the wingers staying wide.

New signings all fantastic.

Agree with Vardy, he looked isolated but worked hard off the ball. Nacho looked better at finding the ball but walked around off the ball and chased nothing. They'd both look better combining with another striker, I'm hoping we see Nacho in a 10 role but he might not have the work rate for playing in a Maresca midfield.

1 minute ago, fkas said:

Agree with Vardy, he looked isolated but worked hard off the ball. Nacho looked better at finding the ball but walked around off the ball and chased nothing. They'd both look better combining with another striker, I'm hoping we see Nacho in a 10 role but he might not have the work rate for playing in a Maresca midfield.

Nacho did more in 20 mins than Vardy managed all game, impact sub is what he should be used as.

• Like 3