Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Leicester 2 Coventry 1 post match thread

Please put Jamie Vardy on the bench. He was always a great off the shoulder player, but when we've had possession he's always been useless. His movement today but was the same old and he's getting old !

As soon as we put Nacho on the game changed, because he has superior touch  quality and movement, its plain to see !!

• Like 1

Winks and Ricardo are a class above at this level

Vardy was poor, start Nacho from now on.

McAteer is ok, need another winger though and he'll probably be a sub or cup winger.

Vestegaard looked poor, don't think we can play this high line with him in it, it'll cost us.

N'didi should not be playing that high up the pitch, needs replacing and use KDH and WInks at CM. I think we should sell him if we can tbh.

Mavididi is direct, looks an ok player.

I think the team next time we play at home to Cardiff will have 3 or 4 changes in it and we'll be much better off for it.

• Like 1

Not been in a good place mentally recently, today’s result has thankfully livened my mood.

A few unsurprising teething problems here and there, overall though it was a performance littered with positive signs.

Winks was MOTM for me, he’ll be a cheat code at this level. 

Hermansen had a few iffy moments from corners, but he made three brilliant saves to keep us in the game, the save to deny Haji Wright was World Class. 

The subs of Praet & Iheanacho made all the difference, their presence sparked life into KDH & Mavididi who were absolutely magnificent in the last 20-22 minutes. 

The two negatives for me were Vestergaard & Ndidi, they simply don’t suit this system. Vestergaard is far too slow for a high line and the experiment with Ndidi as an ‘8’ simply has to stop.

If we can get two more ‘8’’s and two more wingers in the door, then this team will have serious potential.

• Like 4

Much needed result.

The style of play will take a while for the players to adapt to, still need 5 or 6 more players in IMO.

Praet and Iheanacho need to start the next one in place of Ndidi and Vardy. I thought Mcateer had a decent game as well, I was a bit sceptical when I saw him on the team sheet.

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Winks and Ricardo are a class above at this level

Vardy was poor, start Nacho from now on.

McAteer is ok, need another winger though and he'll probably be a sub or cup winger.

Vestegaard looked poor, don't think we can play this high line with him in it, it'll cost us.

N'didi should not be playing that high up the pitch, needs replacing and use KDH and WInks at CM. I think we should sell him if we can tbh.

Mavididi is direct, looks an ok player.

I think the team next time we play at home to Cardiff will have 3 or 4 changes in it and we'll be much better off for it.

Oh the keeper was good as well, and Praet changed the game for us.

KDH :wub:

4 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I don't get this - VAR or no VAR when the ball hits the net i'm jumping round the room and screaming - it's called emotion, it's not something any VAR decision can change.  If i'm brought down to earth by VAR afterwards - so be it - a goals is a goal, enjoy the moment, repent at leisure if it's scrubbed off.

That’s down to your personality and character 

many of us can’t do that - we want to jump about and scream - but for a real goal - not probably a goal 

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

Really tough on the centre backs in this system, can be left really exposed and the lack of pace is worrying. Tough on the full backs too as they effectively playing two positions. 

Yep

lets hope that cov are actually quite good and we won’t be so exposed against 90% of the other teams 

24 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Massive difference in quality, but we don't have to worry about that for at least a season.

In the meantime it was quite clear today how much quality we have compared to Cov, especially first half - i found myself sitting there thinking -'these were almost promoted last year?'

At bottom, that was the difference today - they had some incredible chances but didn't have the players to put the ball in the net, whilst the technique for our goals was PL standard. 

• Like 2

Problems from last season remain but I'll forget about that for now... late comeback against this lot, buzzing. 

Don't think Vardy can lead the line in this system unfortunately, far too isolated with the wingers staying wide.

New signings all fantastic.

The most important thing is 3 points in a game we could easily have drawn or lost.

I like the way we are trying to play but there is obviously quite a bit to work on.  

Playing out from the back worked well at the start but we need to be better at playing through the high press which Cov adopted toward the end of the first half.  I am not convinced with the personnel there, Mads, Coady and Doyle obviously but I would like to try JJ as the third CB in possession.

Winks and Ricky P in that role are a class apart, the question is what happens when one of them is injured/suspended.

KDH grew into the game but I don’t see Wilf in his role today.  We looked much better with Praet and I still like Kels in there, almost as a false 10.  Both wide men had potential but I would like to see them both trying to get to the by line more for the cut back.  They both passed up good shooting opportunities as well.

Finally, much as we all love Vards, this pattern needs a striker with pace to burn so we either need a new recruit or work on Daka.

In terms of the opposition, if that is the standard towards the top it is not good.  We won more second balls than we were entitled to and could easily have been dead and buried before the hour mark with better finishing.

Finally, where the fuch did 9 mins added time come from?  Especially as there was only 1 in the first half.

Lots of positives to see, system will definitely improve as we get more experienced.

Defence we looked shakey as hell, getting caught in transition way, way too much. 

Winks, Ricardo, KDH and Praet is a brilliant midfield combo. Very hard to mark them all out of the game. 

McAteer was much better than I expected, could do well with a bit quicker release or the ball.

9 minutes ago, foxinsox said:

Couldn't see what went wrong defending the corner for their goal. 

Looked like zonal marking to me. Any thoughts?

Ndidi didn't pick up the run. Basic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

That’s down to your personality and character 

many of us can’t do that - we want to jump about and scream - but for a real goal - not probably a goal 

I don't see how this makes sense -  If the ball hits the net it has every chance it will be a goal - i don't see how you can manipulate your emotion to not react simply because VAR might overturn it.  That's not VAR's problem, that's yours.  It's like today when we had a couple of shots that looked like goals, rippling the net, but were just wide - people in the stands jumped around and screamed instinctively, nothing but the ball and the net mattered, and they would have done that even if VAR was involved - this is normal behaviour, not sitting there stiff lipped mumbling that VAR will probably disallow it.  Kinda sad.