Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Leicester 2 Coventry 1 post match thread

13 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I don't see how this makes sense -  If the ball hits the net it has every chance it will be a goal - i don't see how you can manipulate your emotion to not react simply because VAR might overturn it.  That's not VAR's problem, that's yours.  It's like today when we had a couple of shots that looked like goals, rippling the net, but were just wide - people in the stands jumped around and screamed instinctively, nothing but the ball and the net mattered, and they would have done that even if VAR was involved - this is normal behaviour, not sitting there stiff lipped mumbling that VAR will probably disallow it.  Kinda sad.

Just to explain

my response to a PL goal isn’t to just and wait to see if var allows it 

the initial emotional response is obvious - out of your seat arms aloft - I then enjoyed celebrating generally jumping up and down (depending on context).  What I found myself doing post var ( beyond the initial emotional repsonse ) was looking to see what the ref was doing. (Unless it was obvious that there was no issue ).  You clearly just enjoy the period post initial celebration - others can’t 

Thought the first half was good, a few dodgy moments of concerns, corners, still, just need that cutting edge attacking.

Second half started, it was pretty dismal, a corner came to rue us, it all went very flat and even as a fan all the energy was zapped out of me, eventually we got back up to steam and pushed on.

I didn't see us coming back to equalise, perhaps flashbacks of last season, once we got the equaliser I felt we'd go on for the winner though.

Forward balls from the back, ent' it wonderful, however, Hermansen's gotta speed his game up.

I think as hard as it is to admit, Vardy is done, I didn't really understand Praet coming out, I'd have bought Iheanacho on alot earlier - when Praet came on.

Edited by Matt

5 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Wilf can not play there, vesty terrible, Ricardo is miles better on the right, Faes is a bombscare and Nacho must start ahead of Vardy in this system playing Puelodgers ball. Somehow got a win which is all that matters I suppose, but we honked for a lot of the second half

Pretty much the only bit of this that bears any relation to today's match is that we weren't very good for a lot of the second half. Maybe the Iheanacho bit too.

Nididi is a fascinating experiment, Faes barely put a foot wrong (and looked very good indeed most of the time), Vestergaard was certainly not terrible, Ricardo is class and would be class wherever he played.

As for 'Puelodgers ball' - that's ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparrowhawk said:

Pretty much the only bit of this that bears any relation to today's match is that we weren't very good for a lot of the second half. Maybe the Iheanacho bit too.

Nididi is a fascinating experiment, Faes barely put a foot wrong (and looked very good indeed most of the time), Vestergaard was certainly not terrible, Ricardo is class and would be class wherever he played.

As for 'Puelodgers ball' - that's ridiculous.

Faes was class, don't know how he gets stick he is the best defender we have

5 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

Praet for mcateer and kels for vards and we’ll be more creative 

Praet for Nididi, I thought Mcateer did ok overall and deserves another go... would be good if we can get Rak-Sakyi

I think Justin could play in the Mcateer postion as well

Edited by whoareyaaa

2 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Pains me to say it, but I was quite impressed with Cov. Pretty clear that Robins knows what he's doing.

They had a good plan, pressed well at times but they couldn't finish for shit. Fundamentally what could let them down. 

I think the most revealing element of this first weekend is that, despite being a tough league, the quality at this level is not great.

Besides what we saw from coventry's finishing, it's worth noting that, so far, only milwall and watford managed to keep clean sheets this weekend - If cov are the benchmark for attacking, this suggests that there're some pretty mediocre standards of defending.

• Like 1

Another Mavidi to take McAteers place and we'll look a lot more positive going forward.

Felt everything McAteer did slowed the attack down or was to our own goal but perhaps that's an experience / confidence thing.

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 2

Just now, adejo92 said:

Another Mavidi to take McAteers place and we'll look a lot more positive going forward.

Felt everything McAteer did was backpacks but perhaps that's an experience / confidence thing.

McAteer did well at times but was a bloody liability at others. Needs more experience

1 hour ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

I thought Mavididi needs to add some diversity to his take-ons. He kept trying to take someone on down the line and it got snuffed out. Maybe I am just too used to Barnes alternating with bringing it in and then flying back down the channel. I know I am comparing him to Barnes which is a little unfair and also it was his debut. 

John Barnes?

16 minutes ago, Scotch said:

I'm fairly encouraged by that. 

Let's not pretend it was perfect. There were some patches of poor play but I would say there were more patches of good play, albeit without that final piece of quality needed but if this is the starting point then I'm excited for the journey. 

We all know, or at least SHOULD know that it's not always going to go smoothly. A new manager, a different squad, a new system etc, will take time to implement and we saw elements of that today so we need to have patience. 

A few of my thoughts...

Vardy just isn't it. He has dropped off too much but even peak Vardy wouldn't have been effective in that role. Its far more suited to Nacho but I also think that we could use a target man. There were a lot of crosses into the box and no one to do anything about it. 

Ndidi isn't an #8. Praet was far better when he came on and I would be pretty happy with him staying as an option. 

Mcateer looks like he could be a decent squad player. Nothing flashy but decent and although it would be better for his development if he went on loan, it wouldn't be the worse if he stayed. 

I thought defensively, Doyle was good. Vesty is Vesty, his weakness' will cost us goals and although I don't think it was his worst game, I'd be happier with Souttar as a Coady replacement.

I thought Faes was fairly good but I think when we went 1-0 down, he lost his head a bit and started making wild runs. I appreciate he was trying to get us back in it but the lack of discipline could have easily cost us another goal. 

A fairly succesful debut from Mavididi. Instrumental in both goals but just before that I was starting to get frustrated with his lack of tracking back. Doyle got double teamed a couple of times and he was standing just in shot not willing to go help witch annoyed me at the time but looking back, our goals came from him being advanced as we transitioned. 

Finally, All you moaning about the over reactions in the match thread only have yourselves to blame! Most of you have been here long enough to know that the match thread is were the crazies live. 

To be fair, it didn't today - at this level, it almost feels like a calculated risk, which somehow paid off....

57 minutes ago, steveb said:

We were too slow all over the pitch, the only difference between us and Cov were the occasional flashes of Premier League quality from the players who had it, take that away and we would have lost.

Its going to be an interesting season, we either devolop fast and play to our strengths/ best players and wil be in the top end shake up at the end of the season or we will struggle.

Hopefully the new Managers ability to learn and adapt is better than dodo Rodgers. Subs that were appropriate and made a possitive difference give me hope

Agree 100%

We need to play at a faster tempo and for longer periods during the game.

Hopefully a new creative ACM coming in will give us options to do this. At times in the 1st half, we just looked confused and just became static in midfield.

Bin Vestergaard ASAP. His passing ability is not worth the trade off against the poor aspects of his game. No pace,can't jump, easily turned etc we all know them. 

Ndidi - sorry but a square peg when asked to play in that advance position today.  Not his fault, we know he's a " destroyer" not a creator.  

Vardy sorry but not a starter any more.

KDH grew as the game progressed and great goals.

Winks, bossed it

Mavididdi  great debut,  looks pacey, dangerous and tricky going forward and keen to do so, will get better still when he settles in 

I can see Marersca's ideas and how he wants us to play, but we are currently a ACM, RM and possibly a ST short to fulfill this.  Time, another 5 or 6 games and some luck in in the transfer market and today's game we would have still won but IMO at a canter.

17 minutes ago, ts_1010 said:

Thoughts on the game.

Clearly a work in progress, but already very exciting entertaining stuff. We have 3-4 players out there that are simply too good for the league in Winks Ricardo and Nacho.

Ndidi is not a forward player. In this system I can only see him playing as a CB. All the positions forward of there need real passing skill and technical ability. As we saw from his struggles today.

CBs. We will be exposed in this position when teams start to adjust to our tactics. Vesty is slower than half the fat old men on this forum and can only be there as back up.Given the way we play I would like to see Justin as a CB. The pace he has might just save us on a few occasions. If Faes leaves then Justin can step in.

If Winks and Ricardo stay fit, we will be right up there. But the heart of our team has seen more injuries than A and E. That's a real worry for me, especially with the way they get closed down.

Mavididi looks direct and determined to get involved in pressing and defending. Wingers can drift in and out of form but he looks a real find.

Vardy doesn't suit this system. Which means that Daka, his Wish.com knock-off won't either. Nacho has to start. Nacho needs cover.

All in all a good day, but there is loads of work to be done.

Ndidi will never play as a CB for maresca - the main issue he has as a #8 is his control and passing, the two elements maresca desires that is seeing vestergaard playing ahead of the infinitely better souttar.