Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Leicester 2 Coventry 1 post match thread

Coventry's Mark Robins:

"If we'd taken one more, we might have won by two or three. We're trying to be on the front foot and carrying a threat is something that's really important to us. We had chances to score, but such is life, we've not taken them.

"I think Dewsbury-Hall is going to be one of the best players at this level. Someone also told me Leicester had £100million worth of talent on the bench - which is nice. It's always disappointing to lose especially from a winning position but when you look at the quality of Leicester, there's a lot of Manchester City in the movements."

I've not read through the thread, but I'll try and be succinct.

What we got from the game was:

- 3 points. Great start. Positivity. Onwards and upwards

- a clear lesson in where we are weak!

- we fought back and won. That didn't happen much last year. A good sign!

Observations:

- we played some great football playing through their midfield

- Winks distribution was great. I was surprised, pleasantly, with his driving runs forward

- Coventry exploited us in transition, when we lost the ball, especially if Winks has advanced, with Ricardo dropping back into right back, there was an enormous hole on front of our defensive line

- Vestergaard had some decent touches but his weaknesses were exposed, right in behind him. Not that much of a surprise!

- We "missed" Cost. A real lack of leadership in the back 3/4.

- you could see we were missing a really ghr winger. Ive been impressed with McAteer and it's clear Enzo trusts him. But he's not really a winger. Couldn't get in behind their defence.

- Praet made a difference once he came on. He was able toake runs in behind the defence and cut back crosses, which is what our formation is supposed to produce.

- didn't think KDH had much of a game, until he scored the 2 goals! But I'll take that, those 2 forward midfielders are there to get in the box on the end of balls. Well done!

- I was impressed with Mavididi, strong, kept possession, professed it forward. Great assist for the second. I think there's more to come.

- with the expected reinforcements we should be better in midfield and out wide. We do need to get in behind teams to cut the ball back in.

-if Vestergaard is still looking for a move then fine. He's second behind Coady, isn't a leader, and if we can get someone in with a better profile for our style then great. In addition to passing a bit more leadship and mobility would be nice.

• Like 1

Thought there were some very encouraging signs there today. Can clearly see why Hermansen had been brought in. Thought he kept us in the game second half, and some impressive distribution at times first half. Felt like we were in control of the first half, but obviously lacking in creativity. McAteer for me isn’t ready - certainly to be starting at this level, but appreciate we are short in that area. Winks was outstanding first half, and looks like he could be a key for us this year

Second half we started far too slowly and gave them a boost and we lost our composure. Mavididi understandably looked a bit lost but improved as the game went on, and showed he can be a real threat at this level. Praet was a vast improvement on Ndidi in that role, and his intelligence gave us more of an edge in the middle, and a peach of a cross. Dewsbury-Hall had a poor first half, but kicked on second half and took both goals really well. 

Could’ve been different on another day, but thought it was a good game, and given time, we can have a very good season 

Just now, Plastik Man said:

Observations:

- Winks distribution was great. I was surprised, pleasantly, with his driving runs forward

- Coventry exploited us in transition, when we lost the ball, especially if Winks has advanced, with Ricardo dropping back into right back, there was an enormous hole on front of our defensive line

- Vestergaard had some decent touches but his weaknesses were exposed, right in behind him. Not that much of a surprise!

- you could see we were missing a really ghr winger. Ive been impressed with McAteer and it's clear Enzo trusts him. But he's not really a winger. Couldn't get in behind their defence.

- Praet made a difference once he came on. He was able toake runs in behind the defence and cut back crosses, which is what our formation is supposed to produce.

- didn't think KDH had much of a game, until he scored the 2 goals! But I'll take that, those 2 forward midfielders are there to get in the box on the end of balls. Well done!

- I was impressed with Mavididi, strong, kept possession, professed it forward. Great assist for the second. I think there's more to come.

- with the expected reinforcements we should be better in midfield and out wide. We do need to get in behind teams to cut the ball back in.

-if Vestergaard is still looking for a move then fine. He's second behind Coady, isn't a leader, and if we can get someone in with a better profile for our style then great. In addition to passing a bit more leadship and mobility would be nice.

Oh yeah, loved Enzo's goal celebration

And NO GOAL MUSIC!!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Larry_LCFC said:

For patches I thought it was pretty poor. Incredibly pedestrian going forward. A clinical side would have put 4 or 5 past us at the end other end. Maybe it's 1st day nerves but we need to be slicker. Praet and Nacho have to start for me going forward. Vardy is spent as a lone striker. Winks seems decent. 3 points on the board, we move.

Lets get it right there are no clinical sides in the Championship.  Premier league yes, Championship no.  If we had been playing any top six premier league team we would have lost today!  Facts are, we are in the Championship a lot of strikers at this level are poor.

Winks outstanding motm.  KDH goals were exceptional, Praet has to start over Ndidi next game.

Simple facts are we got the 3pts job done.

Pre match most foxestalk posters had Cov down as the next Man City, Real Madrid, PSG so  to win it with no pre season as such was exceptioonal, on to Burton in midweek.

33 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Don't care about his size he was best player on the pitch for the most of the game. If we manage to offload a few I'd definitely try and prise him away from them, that creativity was what we were missing.

Nah.......Lee Trundle for the 2020s

Takeaways:

Praet now first name on teamsheet.

KDH never starts a match but always subbed on for last 25 minutes.

Maresca is the second coming and will lead us to a glorious 2 Premier League title within 3 years.

Vardy is the worst player to ever wear the shirt.

Tippy tappy woke remainer pc brigade tiki taka Puel ball is the only way.

Inverted fullbacks.

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Yep

lets hope that cov are actually quite good and we won’t be so exposed against 90% of the other teams 

Tbf they were one of the best counter attacking teams in the league last year. They're a decent side.

However was scary just how slow all of our defenders looked today playing that high line and how easy Cov cut through us. 

Something that Enzo needs to look at and work on, as on another day we would have lost that and comfortably.

16 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

The best player on the pitch was Dennis Praet. I really need someone to tell me what they saw in Hamer? I saw nothing other that overhit misplaced passed bar a decent corner. 

He hit several 50 or 60 yard balls on the button, his dead balls were top class, he hadn't even had a pre season I'd say he had a decent game.

Since when could Cov fill an away end? Dunno what has happened to them since we last played but it might be an interesting rivalry if they can get more than 15,000 at home now. 

Most important thing was 3 points today and it’s gonna take time, but was definitely worried by how many times they cut our defence open today. If they had a decent striker we’re losing that by 2/3. 

Delighted with that as today was all about the result. Clearly still a long way to go in terms of perfecting the system and style of play. Absolutely dominated the first half without really creating any chances. Their goal from the corner shook our confidence which allowed them to exert a bit more control on the game and they maybe could have scored another in their dominant spell of 10-15 minutes. As soon as the changes came we looked a lot more assured and once we produced the equaliser I felt confident we'd go on to get the winner as that little bit of extra quality was always likely to make the difference. 

What's pleasing is that as mentioned I think we're still a long way off hitting our stride, and we've just overcome one of the better teams in this league in what was a potential banana skin with it being a local derby. To think we've still got Coady to come back, and potentially may be adding Casadei and Rak-Sakyi into the mix, I think by early November we could be a very difficult opponent. Furthermore, given the pressure the players would have been under today to produce a result what with it being a derby, live on TV, and a chance for Cov to lay down a marker, I felt we showed a lot of mental strength to have patience and play our way back into the game especially when Cov had that spell of pressure straight after their goal. Had that been last season our heads would have gone completely and we'd have conceded again. 

That said we need to tighten up at the back as we were all over the shop at times today. Also I hope we never see N'didi in that advanced midfielder role as he's just not cut out for it, and sadly like others have said I'm not sure Vardy has the legs to lead the line. 

Overall clearly still work in progress but a good start and lots of promising signs for what's to come. 

Edited by ian__marshall
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Molson Canadian said:

Coventry's Mark Robins:

"If we'd taken one more, we might have won by two or three. We're trying to be on the front foot and carrying a threat is something that's really important to us. We had chances to score, but such is life, we've not taken them.

"I think Dewsbury-Hall is going to be one of the best players at this level. Someone also told me Leicester had £100million worth of talent on the bench - which is nice. It's always disappointing to lose especially from a winning position but when you look at the quality of Leicester, there's a lot of Manchester City in the movements."

Sounds like Sean "pound notes" Dyche.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

Observations:

Vesty also went straight down the tunnel at FT. He doesn't want to be here. Problem is no one else wants him.

• Like 1

I’ll get it out of the way - negatives = Vestergard. 

Other than that I’m a really happy fox today. Lots of things to improve on but we’ve won our first game, got three points on the board and beat cov. We have a manager who is willing to make changes and be flexible and the new signings look to be good at this level. With a few more weeks of practise we’ll start to make this new system work and dominate teams. 
I’m going to take lots of positives from today and hope that Coady makes a quick recovery.