Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Leicester 2 Coventry 1 post match thread

11 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Cov fans on the train home kept going on about how poor the atmopshere was from the leicester fans... coming from a club that have about 15k empty seats every home game.

It was poor, a lot of our fans seem to have become complacent in waiting for the players to produce something before they make any noise. I can understand it last year but not with a new manager and squad who need backing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

It was poor, a lot of our fans seem to have become complacent in waiting for the players to produce something before they make any noise. I can understand it last year but not with a new manager and squad who need backing. 

I dread to think how bad it will be for the less glamorous games after today. 

• Like 1

Ok - having not been to the game, but read, listened, watched highlights and tried to form an opinion, my take away is…. 

We’ve still got goals in us and we will play on the front foot this season and try to control games.

unfortunately, we don’t seem to have the players in central defence to play a high line (even if swapping in Souttar for Vest would be better it wouldn’t change much in terms of vulnerability to defending speed on the counters). 

Therefore, I think we’ll play some really good stuff this year, but we’ll ship some goals and drop a fair few points as well. All part of the rebuild I guess and I think some further reinforcements will help a lot. Longer term we need to really rebuild the defence and get some pace in central areas.

Great to get some points on the board  esp v that lot!

13 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

You quoted me when I said something along the lines of i’m glad I’ve decided to only watch this lot when they’re on sky and otherwise take back my weekends to enjoy them.

It’ll take more than a good 20 minutes against Coventry to change that, in fact, I won’t change my stance all season. Years of mismanagement on all levels and generally disdain from those in power towards us the fans. You sound like just the kind of fan they want “gEt BeHiNd ThE lAdS”. 

Wanting your weekends back, yet spending a good chunk of it on here moaning about the game 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I really wanted us to sing that back to them when went ahead tbh. 

it happened right after he got fouled in our box in stoppage time. I heard it and was proud… that had to sting 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

Thought Hermansen, Winks and Mavididi had solid debuts. All played well.

The midfield was the highlight. A bit lightweight upfront. I'm thinking we need a more physical presence in this league upfront. I'd also start Albrighton ahead of McAteer, but he did okay.

The real concern was the defence. I really wanted Vestergaard to do well, but... His distribution was just knocking a ball forward a few yards  knowing he'd get it straight back. Never looked out left to play Doyle in. Slow on 1:1's. He looked like he had lead weights in his boots. Surely Souttar, or move Doyle into the middle, as he doesn’t seem to get forward, and Justin to come in at left-back. Very lucky Cov. couldn't finish. Pleased we won, but left feeling we got away with one.

No Thomas or Soumare amongst the subs. Soumare I'm fine with, but Thomas worth persevering with.

4 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Mavididi another who grew into the game. 

He wasn't seeing a lot of the ball in the first half. I think the gaffer exhorted the players to get the ball out wide to him in his half time team talk. For a league and club debut, I thought he looked very convincing. In terms of raw talent, he's no Barnes, but may well be less profligate at this level and perhaps, he had more of a footballing brain in respect of his decision making. 

That drag back/Cruyff turn though!

• Like 1

What I saw I liked for the most part. I expected a tough game as Coventry had performed well at this level last year and we were trying to implement ideas and a new system under a new manager, after a less than satisfactory pre - season, organisational wise. So if this is work in progress, the first building blocks are very encouraging. Like others have said, some of the personnel needs tweaking. Praet for Ndidi, Nacho for Vardy and Coady, when fit, for Vestegaard. With 3 or 4 more signings before 31st August, I think we will have a squad capable of coming straight back up. My only concern is two key players in the system, Winks and Ricardo, should they get long term injuries, I'm not sure there is like for like replacements in the current squad.

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Phew! That was a bit up and down!

Typical Leicester game of old,plus throwing the local Derby twist into it..

Loved it..good game of football, Ideen it as refreshing compared to the last 18 months +..

Not caring yet to go into any bog shit basic analysing…Let the finished team and squad get some 

miles into and behind them..

screaming girl critic,not worth its salt…

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

I'm going to rewatch it because I'm not getting the huge hate for Vestergaard 

It's simply that so much of their threat came through his side. Now to play devil's advocate, maybe that's because he was on Doyle's side, and Doyle is a known quantity to them, they know his strengths and limitations and so focused down that side and Vestergaard was just unlucky to be that side of the centre back pairing, but given how often he ended up in foot races, I feel confident saying that Coventry were targeting him because he was the weak link 

Really enjoyed that. Lots of positives to take away. I think we’ll learn far more about ourselves winning in the way we did, rather than putting in a complete performance. In a way Coventry was a really good test first up. A very solid championship team. If we’d have played QPR and beat them in the way Watford did then realistically there’s nothing to learn

The negatives for me are unfortunately Vestergaard. Not wanting the scapegoat the fella, but defensively in that system he’s not got the attributes. In possession he’s alright. I’ve read a few times about him being slow on the ball, but I see that as a tactic. Drawing players onto him before knocking a square ball. But defensively he’s not got the tools, especially on the transition. He’s isolated, can’t read the game and has the turning circle of an oil tanker. We won despite him, not because of him. I do think the whole team needs to be better on the transition, it looked disjointed and the defense didn’t get back into shape nowhere near quick enough.

Other than that, it clear we’re missing a right sided 8 and a right winger. Praet did OK when he came on, probably made his second most important contribution in a Leicester shirt with that cross for KDH’s equaliser. But you could see those two position were where the game broke down at times. Although saying that McAteer had a solid game and will only get better the more minutes he gets. He has something about him, but not sure what that something is yet. 

A huge work in progress but I’m excited about watching us again 

Edited by Big_Nige

A Keeper who doesn't kick it out of bounds all the time - who knew?

In the first half I thought what was lacking was Maddison/Tielemans as there was no linkup to Vardy at all. Praet helped with that to an extent. But Wilf isn't the answer. 

Winks is a stud at this level. I thought Vestergaard was OK - not great - but he can play at this level.  I thought Ndidi was at fault on the goal but it was well taken by Coventry.