Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Leicester 2 Coventry 1 post match thread

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

You’ve got to take the game as an extension to our pre season schedule. A relatively undercooked team but Enzo still able get the win. I have a lot of hopes for this manager. Also, how good was it to see the passion on the touchline.

I think we need a Rw and a proper CAM but the players in this side are a class above most others. Games against Saints are going to be the big ones this year. 

Also, how soon before Faes leaves - I just can’t see it with him. 

Overall, a wins a win - something we couldn’t do a lot of last year.

I've been banging on all summer, swimming against the tide, how much I hope he stays. But I can't see it. The guy is miles above this standard and knows it. 

He had a swagger yesterday, more than any other player. He was better and he knew it. 

Has anybody read the BBC report of the game? 

In short, it says Cov battered us and deserved to win the game. I don’t know how these people get paid to write the stuff. Unless I had my city shaded glasses on we dominated them first half, they dominated us second half until we scored and I’d say we edged it the last 15 minutes. Stats were very even for both teams to back that up bar we had more possession which would suggest they were more direct than us when they had it.

Based on the above, with us being on top for the longer period of the game I’d say we deserved the win but a draw wouldn’t have been an unfair result either. 

fair play to Cov as well, they looked a decent enough team on a cr*p budget 

3 minutes ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

In short, it says Cov battered us and deserved to win the game. I don’t know how these people get paid to write the stuff. Unless I had my city shaded glasses on we dominated them first half, they dominated us second half until we scored and I’d say we edged it the last 15 minutes. Stats were very even for both teams to back that up bar we had more possession which would suggest they were more direct than us when they had it.

Based on the above, with us being on top for the longer period of the game I’d say we deserved the win but a draw wouldn’t have been an unfair result either. 

You very much have your Leicester shades on. It would not have been unjust if Cov scored 3, 4 or even 5 yesterday. Even first half, for all our possession, they created the better opportunities.

You could maybe argue a draw would be a fair reflection of the game.

Had we had better players once we got to the final 3rd I imagine we'd have created more chances and been more likely of deserving the win.

All opinion of course, either way it was a very promising display from us considering we had a very new signing and a league two player on the wings and DM playing as an 8.

9 minutes ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

Coventry looked like a play-off level side to me.

Once they realise Simms is the absolute pits they'll be fine. Assuming they keep Hamer.

They look ridiculously organised and the team seem to understand what they're good at and what they're not.

I think I'd be annoyed at not getting a point if I were a Coventry fan but on the whole of the game I definitely don't think they deserved to win. Came down to fine margins really. Mavididi's assist and KDH's rocket won the game.

I do think that if we had scored in the first half that we would have blown them away though. McAteer ought to have scored IMO.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

You very much have your Leicester shades on. It would not have been unjust if Cov scored 3, 4 or even 5 yesterday. Even first half, for all our possession, they created the better opportunities.

Had we had better players once we got to the final 3rd I imagine we'd have created more chances and been more likely of deserving the win.

All opinion of course, either way it was a very promising display from us considering we had a very new signing and a league two player on the wings and DM playing as an 8.

Definitely don't agree with that.

McAteer missed a glorious chance and KDH/Ricardo both had shots they should have done better with.

Palmer had their only chance in the first half and it went comfortably over the bar.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

Cov could and should have been 3 or maybe 4 up with some of their chances. I do feel we are the creators of our own downfall though, most of the time yesterday. Over playing or holding onto the ball too long. I wouldn't say that they dominated us though.

27 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I've been banging on all summer, swimming against the tide, how much I hope he stays. But I can't see it. The guy is miles above this standard and knows it. 

He had a swagger yesterday, more than any other player. He was better and he knew it. 

Be nice if he started playing like it then 

20 minutes ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

Off the top of my head, 7-8 million on Wright, 3.5 rising to 8 on simms, 4mil on Van Ewijk.

i know they’re getting a few quid for Viktor but not entirely a crap budget

19 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Not sure they could have scored 4 or 5 when they had an XG of 1.9 

But I agree a draw would have been fair. 

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Our keepers made two worldies, they've blazed one over from about 8 yards and this is before we get onto Ellis Simms being an abortion of a striker :D 

The BBC report was absolutely spot on.

We had 70% possession in the first half but only real “half” chance fell to McAteer who is playing at a level above him at this stage.

Mads pulled off two quality saves and they scuffed some shots that were harder to miss than hit the target.

I’m not negative about Enzo/the tactics but if he doesn’t address the lack of pace in the back 3 then I would have to start doing so, we will get punished for such simple football if not.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Our keepers made two worldies, they've blazed one over from about 8 yards and this is before we get onto Ellis Simms being an abortion of a striker :D 

Think Worldie is over-egging it, as is staying they could have scored 4 or 5. 

6 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

The BBC report was absolutely spot on.

We had 70% possession in the first half but only real “half” chance fell to McAteer who is playing at a level above him at this stage.

Mads pulled off two quality saves and they scuffed some shots that were harder to miss than hit the target.

I’m not negative about Enzo/the tactics but if he doesn’t address the lack of pace in the back 3 then I would have to start doing so, we will get punished for such simple football if not.

At the game their chances looked clear cut but after watching the highlights they were far from being clear cut. 

The Mads save was great but an awkward angle for the Cov player and the chance that hit the bar was deflected off Doyle and then tipped excellently onto the woodwork by Mads.

Cov played well but they didn’t dominate us. It’s always easier for a team to sit and and counter and find shite loads of space.

53 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Coventry looked like a play-off level side to me.

Once they realise Simms is the absolute pits they'll be fine. Assuming they keep Hamer.

They look ridiculously organised and the team seem to understand what they're good at and what they're not.

I think I'd be annoyed at not getting a point if I were a Coventry fan but on the whole of the game I definitely don't think they deserved to win. Came down to fine margins really. Mavididi's assist and KDH's rocket won the game.

I do think that if we had scored in the first half that we would have blown them away though. McAteer ought to have scored IMO.

Agree with your last point as I think we look like the kind of side who could thrash someone if we go one up and they leave themselves open as they chase the game.

It'll be interesting to see how we respond to going one up.

Our confidence was obviously knocked with the goal so soon after the restart. Would it be fair to say for 25 mins we were second best but we equalised and then settled till end of match. Mads made a couple of vital stops and remember even the top sides need a good keeper to step up at vital moments 

32 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

This is where xG can be misleading though and is exactly why it shouldn't be used to judge who "should have won" a football match. 

Take that hilarious shot from their 9 for example, it'll count as a really low xG attempt because he was miles out. xG judges the attempt objectively as it was taken, not the wider context of the situation which is that he should have held his composure, gotten closer and finished. 

Equally there were plenty of other moments where they lacked quality in decision making or made awful rushed decisions and otherwise completely butchered promising positions. 

They were absolutely shit to be honest. A better side would have had both a better xG and a better score. If we'd have played like that against a quality top flight side who thrive on the counter, a Palace or a West Ham, we probably would have been smashed by 4 or 5. We were very exposed quite a few times. 

But as we've said, that's gonna happen for weeks yet. The players have a lot to learn about defending in this shape and we AREN'T playing Prem sides. 

• Like 1