Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Leicester 2 Coventry 1 post match thread

23 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

The BBC report was absolutely spot on.

We had 70% possession in the first half but only real “half” chance fell to McAteer who is playing at a level above him at this stage.

Mads pulled off two quality saves and they scuffed some shots that were harder to miss than hit the target.

I’m not negative about Enzo/the tactics but if he doesn’t address the lack of pace in the back 3 then I would have to start doing so, we will get punished for such simple football if not.

I don’t agree with the McAteer chance being a half chance. He should have put that away, it was a one on one (not a criticism of him, he’s 21 and that’s his 3rd appearance for us) 

also, Doyle’s header at the back post was in the first half wasn’t it? That was a great reaction save from there keeper. 

I’d say we were most certainly better and had the better chances in the first half. People keep saying they had so many chances but we had the same amount of shots and more on target from us. We also had clear cut chances missed that people are ignoring.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This is where xG can be misleading though and is exactly why it shouldn't be used to judge who "should have won" a football match. 

Take that hilarious shot from their 9 for example, it'll count as a really low xG attempt because he was miles out. xG judges the attempt objectively as it was taken, not the wider context of the situation which is that he should have held his composure, gotten closer and finished. 

Equally there were plenty of other moments where they lacked quality in decision making or made awful rushed decisions and otherwise completely butchered promising positions. 

They were absolutely shit to be honest. A better side would have had both a better xG and a better score. If we'd have played like that against a quality top flight side who thrive on the counter, a Palace or a West Ham, we probably would have been smashed by 4 or 5. We were very exposed quite a few times. 

But as we've said, that's gonna happen for weeks yet. The players have a lot to learn about defending in this shape and we AREN'T playing Prem sides. 

Southampton away on 15th September will be a really big test.

No disrespect to Huddersfield, Hull, Rotherham and Cardiff but they aren't likely to be in the running come May. Probably quite nice fixtures for us to find our feet before sterner tests on yesterday's basis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I've been banging on all summer, swimming against the tide, how much I hope he stays. But I can't see it. The guy is miles above this standard and knows it. 

He had a swagger yesterday, more than any other player. He was better and he knew it. 

I said in the post match thread yesterday that although I think he played well, there were spots that concerned me. 

Mostly after they scored. Faes got frustrated and started making driving runs forward, he started doing what we've saw from him previously and being drawn to the ball, dragged out of position and although we got away with it, we could easily have been punished. 

I do appreciate that he was trying to get things going and get us back in the game but I also feel that it shows a lack of discipline and touches of naivety. 

If thos becomes common place, it will be something that opponents look to exploit and I think he has to be a bit more clever. 

1 minute ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

I don’t agree with the McAteer chance being a half chance. He should have put that away, it was a one on one (not a criticism of him, he’s 21 and that’s his 3rd appearance for us) 

also, Doyle’s header at the back post was in the first half wasn’t it? That was a great reaction save from there keeper. 

I’d say we were most certainly better and had the better chances in the first half. People keep saying they had so many chances but we had the same amount of shots and more on target from us. We also had clear cut chances missed that people are ignoring.

Also the chance Vesstegaard when sliding at the back post, the near post attempt by vards after Praet delivered a good low cross/pass.

My point is against a team sitting deep its difficult to create chances but we created a few.

Were clearly a better team hence the way Cov were playing. Imagine if we went for the same tactic and how boring that would be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

Off the top of my head, 7-8 million on Wright, 3.5 rising to 8 on simms, 4mil on Van Ewijk.

i know they’re getting a few quid for Viktor but not entirely a crap budget

I’m not sure how true the below picture is but let’s say it is, that would suggest they’re using funds from sales (and probably a bit of net spend as well) on those players.

if the below picture that was posted on here the other day is true, they’re average player weekly salary is £3,141 per week. (Based on a 25 man squad so the the reality is probably even less) 

obviously I can’t say too much but I was looking at a players mortgage for them who is guaranteed to sit on a bench every single game in league one who was on more than that. Of course, they will have players on more than that but it’s still a credit to them for what they are working on as a squad 

image.jpeg.1d26beafaa0219efc10c5ab3c5316f1a.jpeg

Edited by CountesthorpeFox1

24 minutes ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

Watch it back mate.

In real-time, I was fuming that he didn’t hit it across goal but whether a slightly heavy first touch or the Cov defender busting a gut to narrow down the angle….McAteer had his angles cut off so couldn’t hit the ball where any player would be trained to hit it.

Hence why stated it ultimately was a half chance.

Doyle’s header is not a half chance as no keeper should be beaten at their near post in a situation like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

VAR 100% gives this onside. Dasilva is definitely deeper than McAteer.

I know it's onside, more pointing out that we're in week one and we've already had a goal which would have had the joy sucked out of it by a VAR check.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This is where xG can be misleading though and is exactly why it shouldn't be used to judge who "should have won" a football match. 

Take that hilarious shot from their 9 for example, it'll count as a really low xG attempt because he was miles out. xG judges the attempt objectively as it was taken, not the wider context of the situation which is that he should have held his composure, gotten closer and finished. 

Equally there were plenty of other moments where they lacked quality in decision making or made awful rushed decisions and otherwise completely butchered promising positions. 

They were absolutely shit to be honest. A better side would have had both a better xG and a better score. If we'd have played like that against a quality top flight side who thrive on the counter, a Palace or a West Ham, we probably would have been smashed by 4 or 5. We were very exposed quite a few times. 

But as we've said, that's gonna happen for weeks yet. The players have a lot to learn about defending in this shape and we AREN'T playing Prem sides. 

100%

I think our shape was dreadful most of last season and is going to take some fixing.

It going to take time with a new system and 4 or 5 new starters. 

1 hour ago, Scotch said:

I said in the post match thread yesterday that although I think he played well, there were spots that concerned me. 

Mostly after they scored. Faes got frustrated and started making driving runs forward, he started doing what we've saw from him previously and being drawn to the ball, dragged out of position and although we got away with it, we could easily have been punished. 

I do appreciate that he was trying to get things going and get us back in the game but I also feel that it shows a lack of discipline and touches of naivety. 

If thos becomes common place, it will be something that opponents look to exploit and I think he has to be a bit more clever. 

...he was chewed out by KDH for stepping out and anticipating, causing a gap that need not have been created!!!

57 minutes ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

I’m not sure how true the below picture is but let’s say it is, that would suggest they’re using funds from sales (and probably a bit of net spend as well) on those players.

if the below picture that was posted on here the other day is true, they’re average player weekly salary is £3,141 per week. (Based on a 25 man squad so the the reality is probably even less) 

obviously I can’t say too much but I was looking at a players mortgage for them who is guaranteed to sit on a bench every single game in league one who was on more than that. Of course, they will have players on more than that but it’s still a credit to them for what they are working on as a squad 

image.jpeg.1d26beafaa0219efc10c5ab3c5316f1a.jpeg

Mile out, Coverntry's last accounts had their wage bill around 14m 

On reflection I do worry about us defensively. 

We will be let off a lot because the standard of this league is fairly poor, but some teams will have half decent attackers who can finish, and we have got to ensure we can defend the transition a lot better. Southampton for example have very handy wide players, if we were to ply them tomorrow I would be concerned. 

I hope that with a bit of time and a few tweaks we will get used to the style and defend as a unit better, but it’s the one area I am rather concerned about. 

• Like 1

lets not forget Cov were the best team in the league from a counter attack perspective last year. 

Arguable yesterday may have been one of our trickiest games in terms of teams in the league that are set up to exploit the way we are planning to play. That, plus it was our first competitive game of the season. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Line-X said:

Skimming through the match thread this morning and it's a complete disgrace. Just embarrassing. The usual suspects churning out the same old armchair drivel, laughably inaccurate judgemental self-appointed 'expertise', the predictable vitriol and hatred together with the incessant, insufferable moaning. A spectacular KDH brace and 90% of them turn tail and run to the hills. It's as though these deranged doomsayers are on some self-fulfilling crusade and actually want us to lose. 

An observation from yesterday though, having watched the highlights after the match. How has Hamza bizarrely managed to age 15 years during a one year loan spell at Watford? 

This could be the answer to about 90% of the questions about Hamza:

It's the hair.

1 hour ago, Shit_arse said:

lets not forget Cov were the best team in the league from a counter attack perspective last year. 

Arguable yesterday may have been one of our trickiest games in terms of teams in the league that are set up to exploit the way we are planning to play. That, plus it was our first competitive game of the season. 

Exactly some are judging the standard needed as premiership. They will be in the top 8 come May, an with better finishing could have got at least a draw if not a win yesterday. We will play worse sides than these and if we play like yesterday win by 4 or 5 goals. The next 5 games with Burton are interesting, just get the results that will build confidence and then hopefully when we are challenged by Southampton we are up for it.

6 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

image.thumb.png.82ae9bb43bad450df2b5c0e84b6edeca.png

We'd probably have got away with it by a gnat's arse hair depending on whether the person drawing the lines hated us or not, but the winning goal would have almost definitely gone to VAR in the Prem. McAteer (top left) with the pre-assist was possibly offside.
I LOVE THE CHAMPIONSHIP :pearson:

I am not going to miss that sort of shit this season. That and the goal music being binned off... it was like being at a proper football match again.

• Like 1