Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Leicester 2 Coventry 1 post match thread

We shouldn't underestimate how important the strength of our bench was yesterday. Those players coming on, would be starters in almost every other Championship club. Obviously we will lose a handful more of them, but hopefully they will be replaced with upgrades. 

We should really be finishing top 2 with the strength of our squad alone, but of course it is never that simple. Happier we have the squad depth than not though! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

We shouldn't underestimate how important the strength of our bench was yesterday. Those players coming on, would be starters in almost every other Championship club. Obviously we will lose a handful more of them, but hopefully they will be replaced with upgrades. 

We should really be finishing top 2 with the strength of our squad alone, but of course it is never that simple. Happier we have the squad depth than not though! 

Our bench was ridiculous lol

It wouldn't have looked out of place for a prem side and we haven't finished strengthening yet.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2023 at 13:21, OntarioFox said:

I know it's onside, more pointing out that we're in week one and we've already had a goal which would have had the joy sucked out of it by a VAR check.

It's so strange how people differ on the emotional context of VAR - i get how you feel but for me it's a case of:

1. Celebrate Goal

2. Panic that it'll be offside

3. Tension while decision is made

4.  Celebrate AGAIN when goal is confirmed.

I think if you can learn to accept that the process is here to stay, you can find that it actually adds to the drama rather than takes away from it.  Unless a goal is chalked off, which is annoying but if it's the rules, then it's fair enough - swings and roundabouts.

Just my two ha'pporth :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

It's so strange how people differ on the emotional context of VAR - i get how you feel but for me it's a case of:

1. Celebrate Goal

2. Panic that it'll be offside

4.  Celebrate AGAIN when goal is confirmed.

I think if you can learn to accept that the process is here to stay, you can find that it actually adds to the drama rather than takes away from it.  Unless a goal is chalked off, which is annoying but if it's the rules, then it's fair enough - swings and roundabouts.

Just my two ha'pporth :)

Had this discussion with you already 

we’re all different 

I assume that those who are generally happy go lucky characters and very relaxed about stuff can just roll with it but many won’t allow themselves to celebrate something that may not be true. That also has degrees from absolutely sitting on their hands until the ref points to the centre circle to celebrating pretty much full on but watching the ref the whole time just in case he has his hand to his ear ..

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

The point is people don't celebrate properly because it is always in the back of the mind. 

And on the flipside, when you're on the receiving end of a goal that you know full-well is perfectly valid, but they check it anyway for the most innocuous broken fingernail reasons.

Happened twice to us for goals the Scousers scored in our run-in last year, and it just prolonged the misery and gave a few less observant fans false hope. I still have no idea what they were checking for three months later.

If you think the added on time is long in the EFL this year, it's going to be bordering on a farce in the Prem given the amount of time VAR takes to make decisions!

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OntarioFox said:

And on the flipside, when you're on the receiving end of a goal that you know full-well is perfectly valid, but they check it anyway for the most innocuous broken fingernail reasons.

Happened twice to us for goals the Scousers scored in our run-in last year, and it just prolonged the misery and gave a few less observant fans false hope. I still have no idea what they were checking for three months later.

Chelsea at home last season was a farce 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

If you think the added on time is long in the EFL this year, it's going to be bordering on a farce in the Prem given the amount of time VAR takes to make decisions!

I suspect the added time issue will force the PL to accept automated offside procedures rather than drawing those bloody lines …

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I suspect the added time issue will force the PL to accept automated offside procedures rather than drawing those bloody lines …

We can only hope they've sorted that out if (IF) we can get back up at the first time of asking. There's absolutely no excuse for them not to besides kidding themselves that linesmen still have a purpose in a VAR age - the tech works just fine in tennis and cricket.

For the time being, I'm wishing we could be playing in the Prem with this league's officiating. 

On 07/08/2023 at 17:00, whoareyaaa said:

Love him.

FM it’s great to have passion on the touch line too - no fuching little hand claps, no silly scribbles in a little black book, no hands in pockets looking beat before we start. All very refreshing 

Edited by CrazyKopCorner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Had this discussion with you already 

we’re all different 

I assume that those who are generally happy go lucky characters and very relaxed about stuff can just roll with it but many won’t allow themselves to celebrate something that may not be true. That also has degrees from absolutely sitting on their hands until the ref points to the centre circle to celebrating pretty much full on but watching the ref the whole time just in case he has his hand to his ear ..

I totally get that, and believe me I am as nervous a fan as they come - i mean i physically shake sometimes watching leicester! - so this isn't just about being carefree.

If you look at the figures the vast majority of goals are totally unaffected by VAR so to allow oneself to be held back because of the perceived inevitability of a goal being disallowed is entirely profitless and, in fact, foolish.  Better to celebrate and be disappointed on the rare occassion it's actually chalked off.

Here are our VAR decisions for last season:

Leicester -2

Overturns: 14
Leading to goals for: 1
Disallowed goals for: 2
Leading to goals against: 4
Disallowed goals against: 3
Net goal score: -2
Subjective decisions for: 3
Subjective decisions against: 3
Net subjective score: 0
Penalties for / against: 1 / 1
Red cards for / against: 0 / 0

We had 2 goals disallowed compared to 51 that were not disallowed.  That's practically nothing.  Time to move on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lako42 said:

The point is people don't celebrate properly because it is always in the back of the mind. 

But it shouldn't be - see my above reply....

19 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

1. Do not Celebrate "Goal"

2. Panic that they will find a reason not to give it 

4.  Despondent when it is disallowed 

...pretty much how I  see VAR for us!!!

Always seems to go the other way, our opponents get the benefit and we get nothing, because the operators have viewed the wrong incident or looked at the wrong phase of play.

However I  do recall them getting it right once!!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Yeah, it's ruined it for me, hand on heart I'd rather incorrect decisions being made on occasion than not being able to properly celebrate a goal. 

Emotionally it removes one of the enjoyable aspects of the game away, in such a low scoring game, not being able to fully enjoy a goal just takes more enjoyment out of the moment.

I was massively in favour of VAR when it first arrived on the scene but the more it's used the less I like it. With so many football rules being down to interpretation it just doesn't work as well as it does in Rugby, Cricket or Tennis.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, filbertway said:

Yeah, it's ruined it for me, hand on heart I'd rather incorrect decisions being made on occasion than not being able to properly celebrate a goal. 

Emotionally it removes one of the enjoyable aspects of the game away, in such a low scoring game, not being able to fully enjoy a goal just takes more enjoyment out of the moment.

I was massively in favour of VAR when it first arrived on the scene but the more it's used the less I like it. With so many football rules being down to interpretation it just doesn't work as well as it does in Rugby, Cricket or Tennis.

Again, last season, we had 2 goals out of 53 rubbed off by VAR - you're reading too much into it.

Just now, Lillehamring said:

Again, last season, we had 2 goals out of 53 rubbed off by VAR - you're reading too much into it.

It doesn't really matter if they're rubbed off or not, the fact you've got to wait for a decision is the issue most people have.

You don't care about the wait and can forget about it, that's great. Unfortunately we don't all feel the same way about things so I guess you just have to accept it.

It's been in place for a long time now and my dislike of VAR grows season on season. I'm happy that my thought and feelings on it are legitimate. I've gone from championing it's inclusion to absolutely hating what it's doing to the experience of watching a top flight game.