Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Leicester 2 Coventry 1 post match thread

11 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Cov could have been out of sight, if thry'd taken their chances but KDH found his mojo and Mavididi was a revelation.

Phew.

Championship teams will always give us more chances to peg them back by being less clinical. 

1 minute ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Fair comments, but you’ve got to give the club until the end of the transfer window until we can really scrutinise Enzo’s selection I feel.

No reason to start Ndidi ahead of Praet, much less as an AM, or Ricardo in the middle.  Or Vardy at all.  Transfer window has nothing to do with that.  The guys that are here are here - if they can be in the reserves, they can start.

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan

Personally, I thought Faes had a really good game.

Vestergaard is fine for winning headers and mopping up stuff that Faes misses, but he’s simply too slow.

You get nippy strikers running at him and he’ll buckle.

We have to get Coady back quickly 

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

Very fortunate not to have that game put away before Enzo made any changes.

I do believe in the guy, but it's hard to look at that starting eleven and objectively say it was our best group.  McAteer was okay, but starting him with Kelechi and Daka on the bench is dubious.  Pereira in the center really makes no sense.  Ndidi anywhere makes no sense, but in an advanced role?  Seriously?  And Vardy, let's face it,  just isn't a starting player at this point.

On the plus side Mavididi was excellent, and Praet for Ndidi predictably changed the game.  KDH heroics speak for themselves.  But get it right from the first minute next time, Gaffer.

I’d say if you look at the players on the bench today Iheanacho, Daka, Praet, Castagne, Souttar - they are all the players who are linked with moves away from the club.

I could be wrong, but I would imagine the whole starting XI will still be here at the end of the window, we need to see what they can do early on, whilst the window is still open so we can see who will work and who will need replacing.

I don’t think either Iheanacho or Daka are suited to the role McAteer played today. He did okay and will be good to have in the squad, but I expect to see someone come in to play that role.

• Like 3

Let’s be honest, we were awful for parts of that.

The result was massive though, absolutely buzzing with it. Should do wonders for confidence which we have struggled with for a while now.

Great game for Enzo to see what works and what definitely doesn’t as well which is positive. Bet he’ll be desperate for another CB after watching that if Coady is out for a while…

Feeling a little better about the season! :D

• Like 4

1 minute ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Coventry will be up there, they looked very good at times so it is pleasing to get such a good win. 

Thought they were outstanding. What a baptism of fire that was. We have loads to fix and loads of improvements to make but that is a fabulous win under so much pressure 

7 minutes ago, sishades said:

A very very good 3 points. That last 15 minutes was great to watch with both sides going for it. Vards and Ndidi are done. The substitutions changed the game and we looked very good. The defence still needs some work but it helps to have a proper midfielder and striker on the field of play. Really enjoyed that despite the absolute extremes of our play. 

How nice was it to not see our boys dead on their feet at the end of the game. Brendan royally ****ed us, let's hope us finishing strong is something we continue to see. 

Really positive to win after being 1-0 down opening game of the season with a new manager. We didn't really create much in terms of clear cut chances but some of the possession first half was really good, and I think considering the little amount of time they've had with Enzo we can be really pleased with that.

Defensively looked pretty shakey, if Cov had better strikers they could've settled this game with half an hour left. We need to improve in that department. I don't like to write players off but Vestergaard can do one, he's still a liability and Enzo isn't going to change that. Conceding from a set piece again is so frustrating. We need to nip that in the bud asap.

Positives were the new boys, Mavididi might not be a world beater but in this league it looks like he is going to draw attention and make things happen.

Winks looked great first half, quieter second but he is clearly going to be an important player for us. Hermansen looks a good shot stopper.

Decent debut from McAteer. Decision making could be improved, hopefully that comes with more game time. I think he'll be a threat for us though.

Praet made a difference coming on.

Not sure about Ricardo and Ndidi in the middle.

Vardy shouldn't be starting. His best asset is getting in behind, and we're probably going to get less opportunity to do that than we have done in years in the PL. Nacho needs to start.

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 2

Obviously a great result on paper that should build confidence and, hopefully, get some momentum going but there's a lot of work to do.

Against better opposition, it would have been over after an hour. And make no mistake, there are better sides than Coventry in this division. 

If we can't keep Nacho, we need to go all in on a quality striker who can do his job as Vardy isn't that guy any more. Same goes for Praet, but the Casadei deal is pretty advanced and therefore less of a worry.

Big work needed on set pieces and defending counterattacks; we'll be facing these every week as most teams in this division won't be trying to outplay us or be better in possession. 

Today was a huge banana skin. We passed the test, just.

Coventry were better prepared and well acquainted with eachother and the coach/style of play. 

It was a massive game for their fanbase, that’s the most they’ve brought to the King Power. 

We clearly lack in the 8/10 areas as well as on the RW. Vardy is such an enigma now, no real link up play and it’s a struggle for him to get away from centre backs now.

2 or 3 signings and we will be laughing.

Praet could be key this season if we keep hold of him. Christ it feels weird saying that.

• Like 1

Very interesting watch, as others have said some good things and some bad things that we have learnt including:

Vesty too slow for this formation

Iheanacho better suited than vardy

Winks is prem league player

Ndidi has a lot to prove in his new position

Mavididi got something about him

Corners

What impressed me most about this team was that even after dominating possession and going 1-0 down we regrouped, weathered the storm and hit back. We really tried to score and push on and even when we got 1 we didnt just give up we went for it - and then we actually held on to a lead!!!!! Great mentality there.

Few more players needed, another cm, another wingers (maybe 2) and perhaps another CB. But the foundations are there to kick on.

Lets not sugarcoat it, we were poor for large parts of that game. Lots of last seasons problems still remain and without backing for the remainder of the window we will be figured out relatively quickly. Desperate for creativity. You can’t play this system or style of play without players capable of creating chances. 

The positives for me are that the debutants all looked fairly solid. Mavididi has potential and Winks will be solid at this level but lightweight. 

• Sad 1

Guest nathan.

KDH was poor first half but obviously made up for it with his goals.

Mavididi was ok.

Winks was MOTM for me.

Mads was suspect from corners but the delivery was excellent tbh. Made a world class save from Hadji Wright  

Just now, Deeg67 said:

No reason to start Ndidi ahead of Praet, much less as an AM, or Ricardo in the middle.  Or Vardy at all.  Transfer window has nothing to do with that.  The guys that are here are here - if they can be in the reserves, they can start.

I like the idea of Ndidi as this incredible box to box midfielder but problem is he's just not good enough in the attacking sense. Either play him as a CDM or don't play him at agree. Agree the role suits Praet.