Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Leicester 2 Coventry 1 post match thread

4 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Can’t understand the Kel thing. Surely he fits Enzo’s system far better than Vardy. Vardy as impact. Kel the main man. Early days though. Got the 3pts against a good side. 

100% hopefully the manager will realise this I don't think he is a dinosaur like Rodgers and will make the required changes, like Preat for Nididi and Nacho for Vardy

3 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Obviously a great result on paper that should build confidence and, hopefully, get some momentum going but there's a lot of work to do.

Against better opposition, it would have been over after an hour. And make no mistake, there are better sides than Coventry in this division. 

If we can't keep Nacho, we need to go all in on a quality striker who can do his job as Vardy isn't that guy any more. Same goes for Praet, but the Casadei deal is pretty advanced and therefore less of a worry.

Big work needed on set pieces and defending counterattacks; we'll be facing these every week as most teams in this division won't be trying to outplay us or be better in possession. 

Other than Boro, the only sides that were “better” than Cov over the course of last season are now playing in the premier league.

It seemed to me some people in the match thread were seriously overreacting a little early. We’re not perfect - no team is - but there were plenty of positives from today’s game and I’m sure the coaching team will have learnt a lot too.

• Like 3

Guest Col city fan

I’ve never understood the criticism of KDH.

As I said last season, I think he was genuinely one of our better players last season.

Id be surprised if KDH or the new keeper don’t get player of the season this term.

Winks MOTM for me, pulled the strings for us. Thought KDH was a different player as soon as he scored the header. Went from needing 5 touches to quick sharp passing. Mavididi another who grew into the game. Hermanson with some quality saves but a bit suspect at corners which hopefully he can sort out. We desperatley need another CAM and winger though as before Praet came on we were creating nothing. 

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 1

Just now, egg_fried_rice said:

Other than Boro, the only sides that were “better” than Cov over the course of last season are now playing in the premier league.

It seemed to me some people in the match thread were seriously overreacting a little early. We’re not perfect - no team is - but there were plenty of positives from today’s game and I’m sure the coaching team will have learnt a lot too.

Honest question, I thought Sunderland was better than Cov last season?

Doyle and Winks do look nice additions.  The keeper very confident on the ball.

KDH could prove key this season, seems he has been tasked with getting forward more given post match interview.  Probably a good thing as we are light up front and KDH shown before he has promise there.

Although Nacho didnt do a lot, the team's confidence seemed lifted when he came on, and he held up the ball very well during stoppage time.

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, browniefox said:

One more thing from me

How nice was it to not have VAR to worry about. Football as it should be.

Doesn’t it show just how shite VAR is for football.

YES, it gets decisions (mostly) right. But it kills the excitement of scoring goals which is completely wrong for a game where the excitement IS in scoring goals.

Im really glad we don’t have to suffer it this season.

5 minutes ago, Dames said:

Needs more creativity if its going to be sustainable, we still have really soft/stupid players in the spine of the team and without dangerous players at the other end to offset that I can see us being sussed out quite quickly.

The idea is that they system is creative, but that requires a forward with good linkup play and movement, and two number eights who are comfortable with the ball and able to move it around. Unfortunately, that's not Ndidi and it's increasingly dubious that the forward is Vardy

Really happy with that. Dominated the first half, although we were very wasteful.

I think defensively we were all over the place but I think vestergard is only in short term over coady anyway, so we will settle in nicely.

Mcateer was steady, mavididi looks like he will be decent.

Kdh grew as the game went on. Winks looks quality.

Praet and Nacho staked a claim for a start in their cameos.

Really worried about our defending of set pieces though.

3 points, without Really being great is a decent start 

• Like 2

All’s well that ends well but we’ll have to do better than that if we want promotion. Cov could have had a hatful, let’s face it.

Nice to see KDH hit his stride. Doesn’t always work out for him but his motto seems to be the same as the one on my old grandad’s bog roll holder - “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try & try again”.

Promising from Mavadidi as well. Also some classy ball movement at times. I think we’ll grow into this season.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

Vestergaard has spent a year not playing football - he got a number of timely tackles in and even jumped a few times. He absolutely wasn't the horror show I was fearing. 

Anyone knocking Faes' contribution really needs to find another hobby, football isn't for you.

He's way too slow though. Was beaten a few times and he gave up at least once. Faes and the young bloke outshone him. 

These signings:

Mads looked comfortable and pulled off some proper saves to keep us in it. Not sure about the high crosses but I'm very happy with him on today's performance.

Mavididi - grew into the game, had a great engine right to the whistle and showed some lovely feet, wants the ball and makes things happen.

Doyle - looked like an upgrade on Thomas in the position, solid enough.

Winks - bossed it. Always on, wants the ball, great distribution, oozed class.

I'll include McAteer - had a decent game, strong on the ball for the most part, always an outlet, saw a couple whipped in with his right foot which is good to see. He'll be good cover on the right but would like to see a more experienced winger come in.

Put Coady in the middle for Pannik and I think we'd have a much more comfortable afternoon.

• Like 1

Excellent result. Performance for much of the game had a lot to be desired but early days obviously.

Positives

Mavididi - looks exellent.

KDH - will boss this level

Praet when him came on - if he wants to stay he could be very big player for us. Excellent assist.

Doyle and Faes were decent enough.

Winks will be good.

Less positive 

Vestergaard - why did we even put him in?

Ndidi - giving the ball away. Not suited to this style.

Vardy - anonymous.

Other observations

Hermanson - shaky from crosses. Decent shot stopping. Iffy distribution but maybe nerves.