Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Iran

Yunus Akgün

41 minutes ago, longy said:

What if he's absolutely class and we've got ourselves a gem? 

I know that wouldn't be very Leicester City like but I trust Enzo's eye on potential players coming in over my own reservations.

IN ENZO WE TRUST.

Another statement that seems to be purely based on events under the most recent recruitment team.  In fact,  there's probably not a club in the history of the sport that's had great success at finding gems than Leicester City!

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

But we could effectively be paying a premium for not paying anything this season ?   Would FFP allow that ?  A very suppressed loan fee with an inflated obligation fee to compensate ??

Pretty sure it would be allowed, there's no rules on loan fees having to be a certain % of overall fees I don't think.

18 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Another statement that seems to be purely based on events under the most recent recruitment team.  In fact,  there's probably not a club in the history of the sport that's had great success at finding gems than Leicester City!

I suppose our current recruitment team is also the only one that matters.

Of course, as you say, in years gone by... But we're not Forest fans, are we?

18 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

Could give us a different look on Saturday

Hermansen

Justin Faes Doyle 

Ricardo Winks 

Akgun Casadei KDH Mavididi

Iheanacho

Marcal, Albrighton Praet, Ndidi, Choudhury 

Thomas/Vestergaard 

Vardy

Sto

What makes you think Maresca will drop Vestergaard for Justin? 

16 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I think there could be something lost in translation. If I remember correctly Turkish reports were reporting an "obligation" to buy Under when he came here, which later turned out to be an "option". Plus we'll never know the true value of the transfer anyway.

Also, €10m isn't a lot of money these days but I'd like to think it's lower than that anyway, and as others have said, that could be the total value of the package including loan fees. On the subject of wages, he's a young guy playing in Turkey, he'll be on 15-20k per week. Compare that to Castange's 65k a week and it really isn't a lot. 

I get that it's a bit underwhelming, especially if the Galatasaray fans aren't upset to see him go, but Turkish fans are highly demanding and let's not forget they almost expect to be in the champions league every season.

There is no such thing as a good deal anymore, finding a Mahrez isn't going to happen every single year, and when you do, especially in this country, they get hyped up so much that one of the big heads is going to get ripped off. Look at Caicedo, good player but British transfer fee record good? I don't think so. English clubs are always going to pay higher fees, clubs in the continent know what money we have, and we're seen as a bigger club now, so they'll add 20% on to any fee they'd quote to anyone else. 

I'm a bit "meh" about this transfer, but I'm not going to write him off. 2 weeks ago I'd never even heard of the fella, and there won't be many on here who can actually say with any truth, that they've watched a fair bit of Turkish football.

Everyone goes off a highlights reel and decides we're signing the next Maradona or just takes what fans say from his current club and decides he's garbage, neither of which give us any idea of how he'll fit the system. 

I get what you’re saying and we do never know the true value of a transfer. But I don’t get the whole, I’d like to think it’s less? Yes I’d like to think it’s less but I’m only going off what is reported, realistically that’s all we have to make judgement. I’d like to think Perez didn’t cost 30 mill but the reality.  he probably did and evidence suggests that is the case. We all said it was poor business at the time and it turned out to be. I think it is just your positive thinking, which is fine. 

I’m not concerned about his wages, I only mentioned wages because it shapes the whole financial landscape of the club and to spend 8.5 m on someone’s deadwood is not my idea of a progressive transfer that creates an asset to strengthen later. I also understand that he could be class. 🤞

I also get that Gala fans have high expectations and to be honest I would expect them to champs league in the league because 75% of that league is quite poor.  Regardless of the fans view, it also seems to be the view of the manager and the fact that Tete is actually potentially his replacement worries me. 

I won’t be writing him off at all. I could be brilliant and hope he is if it happens but given the evidence we have available and given our current position I don’t think an obligation to buy for 10 euro would be good business.

However, if this is a slight translation issue and it is in fact an option. I am 100% behind this transfer. So fingers crossed. I get your points though 👍

27 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Correct and that's exactly what I'm referring to.

I'm aware we've had very decent success with a handful of recruits but the most recent history has been nothing short of horse shit.

The option to buy is 10 million Euros.

For the option to activate, Yunus has to play a certain number of games and Leicester City has to advance to the top league.

Wasn’t Ryan Bennett like this? And we refused to play him else we’d have to buy him from

Wolves. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimboom said:

Hi there. Gala fan here, I was just googling about this deal and came across this thread. if anyone's wondering:

Akgun has energy and immense close ball control, so he sure has class. His main problem is his absurd perfectionism. You won't see him finish unless he finds perfect balance to get that ball in. He is a good passer of the ball and a fine dribbler, but he definitely is not a clinical finisher, and that is why he is not preferred at Galatasaray. He just can't do the final touch. 

All in all, he is consistently good in everything he does, other than scoring. In Turkish he's what you call "a hard working bee who makes no honey", considering his high workrate, he is a weird phenomenon of football.

Whatever happens I wish him the best of luck, he is a good kid. 

And I hope you guys win the Championship this year and go back to where you belong ASAP. Cheers 

Thanks for the info.  Always great to hear from other fans.  Good luck Gala for the season 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jimboom said:

Hi there. Gala fan here, I was just googling about this deal and came across this thread. if anyone's wondering:

Akgun has energy and immense close ball control, so he sure has class. His main problem is his absurd perfectionism. You won't see him finish unless he finds perfect balance to get that ball in. He is a good passer of the ball and a fine dribbler, but he definitely is not a clinical finisher, and that is why he is not preferred at Galatasaray. He just can't do the final touch. 

All in all, he is consistently good in everything he does, other than scoring. In Turkish he's what you call "a hard working bee who makes no honey", considering his high workrate, he is a weird phenomenon of football.

And I hope you guys win the Championship this year and go back to where you belong ASAP. Cheers 

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Do you know if these sources are reliable? Not really been reported over here? 

7 minutes ago, DezFox said:

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Do you know if these sources are reliable? Not really been reported over here? 

3 tier-2 reporters tweeted about it today, apparently there was a private Leicester City plane at the Istanbul airport as well. Akgun has  always dreamed of playing in England so, I can see this happening...

Edited by jimboom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, jimboom said:

kermit-oh-no.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, FosseSpark said:

Could give us a different look on Saturday

Hermansen

Justin Faes Doyle 

Ricardo Winks 

Akgun Casadei KDH Mavididi

Iheanacho

Marcal, Albrighton Praet, Ndidi, Choudhury 

Thomas/Vestergaard 

Vardy

Sto

...it won't be a different look, it will be the same look with a player who has the ability to penetrate!!!

We have got to get this role sorted before the window closes. Getting Casadei in and up to speed will be interesting, we need creativity and we are pretty much workman-like at the moment. Bringing in another player who brings more creativity to the team is what we need.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, longy said:

Correct and that's exactly what I'm referring to.

I'm aware we've had very decent success with a handful of recruits but the most recent history has been nothing short of horse shit.

But the most recent history features a different manager and different head of recruitment - or are you referring to Winks, Mavididi, Doyle, Casadei...  It's a  tiresomely negative, pointless comparison.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

What makes you think Maresca will drop Vestergaard for Justin? 

He won't, but there's a core of supporters here who, apropos of nothing, are still insisting that JJ is the messiah despite him doing nothing of any note since before his injury in early 2021.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, inckley fox said:

I suppose our current recruitment team is also the only one that matters.

Of course, as you say, in years gone by... But we're not Forest fans, are we?

The current team seems to have done ok so far - i don't think many expected Winks to be as good as he's been, Mavididi is looking a good buy, and doyle has played and been decent in every game this season.

Forest is decades ago, we were picking up gems like (though i'm not a fan now) Justin and Fofana fairly recently.

Akgun like Under and Ghezzal before him sound like broken players who have had stand out seasons in the past.

Hopefully with Akgun we take the Under route and get him on loan with an option to buy. With Ghezzal we were the only interested party and he was completely unwanted at Monaco, I never understood why we threw money at them rather than a loan with an option to buy as they would surely have gone for it.

I don't see anyone else throwing millions at Galatasaray for Akgun so surely as he's unwanted there they would be open to a loan with an option? We do seem a soft touch in the transfer market and you get the impression we do what we have to to get players in rather than drive a bargain.

• Like 2

If he can progress the ball up the pitch well and work hard winning the ball back, hopefully the goals can come from another part of the pitch - he should suit the system well enough to improve the team overall. I like this signing, if we get promoted and have to sign him and he isn't that great it isn't the end of the world for 10 million euros, and it leaves us with money to spend right now.

The key attributes we're recruiting for in the wide positions are work rate and the ability to beat a man in 1v1 situations, both strengths that Jimboom specifically mentions. I'd say from the first few games we can see the same attributes in Mavididi and it's reflected in his stats. 

Screenshot_20230822-034222_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bf2a02fc0b44d111aac9914d573e29fc.jpg

Our system, with the inverted fullbacks, is designed to get the wingers in 1v1 situations against their fullbacks so having players that can beat a man will create so many chances. Work rate is important too to cover the spaces out wide when we're being counter attacked. 

We're never going to sign the perfect player in the championship and the ability to create is more important than scoring goals for us in this system, the goals will come from the striker and the high 8s filling the box. I think it's a logical signing! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1